1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

50 PSI ???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by smoore, May 5, 2004.

1. smoore

smoore New Member

Well, finally got around to checking the tire pressure on the Prius we've been driving for 2000+ miles and I find the pressure is between 50 and 53 PSI on all tires after sitting in the garage for 2 hours [insert large sigh here]. I don't think the 15+ PSI can be attributed to residual heat in the tire after 2 hours, so I have to figure this is how they gave it to me. My guess is this is a "bad thing".

OK, I got 55 mpg on the last 499 mile tank of gas, but I think this should be considered one of those outlier data points.

2. SpartanPrius

SpartanPrius New Member

Two hours is a little early to check. Give it a few more hours, or preferably overnight. Be aware of sun exposure affecting one side versus the other. A contributing factor could be that you got your car when it was noticeably cooler. For every ton degrees Fahrenheit change in temperature (as experienced by the tire), pressure will rise approximately one pound. If your car was prepped after sitting on a 20 degree lot and you check it with it at a "resting" 80 degrees, the difference would be about +6 pounds. Of course, if you bought at a low elevation and reside at a higher elevation, a whole nuther factor comes into play.

BTA, best advice is never trust dealers or tire mechanics to set tire pressures right.

3. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. smoore

smoore New Member

Yep. That was it. Our other car came in and I checked it right away and found it at about 50PSI also. Sure rides much better now that it's closer to specs :wink: