1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

50 years ago today: Earthrise, from Apollo 8

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fuzzy1, Dec 24, 2018.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Also the live broadcast Christmas Eve reading of Genesis from lunar orbit, with video of the lunar surface passing by. Even now as a non-believer, that broadcast is deeply impressed in my memory.

"(CNN)Fifty years ago, astronaut Bill Anders captured an iconic photo of Earth. Looking out a window of the Apollo 8 spacecraft on Christmas Eve, 1968, he glimpsed a splash of blue beyond the lunar surface. After a fumbling exchange in zero gravity, his crewmate Jim Lovell extended a roll of 70 mm color film. At 16:39 Universal Time, 240,000 miles from home, Anders aimed his Hasselblad camera and brought our world into focus in one of history's most famous photographs.

"Earthrise" transformed the first crewed mission to orbit the moon from a nationalistic bid for prestige in the Cold-War-era space race, into something more profound: a dawning appreciation of humanity's common destiny on a fragile planet in the vacuum of space.

The sight of Earth, bursting with color against the inky darkness of space and a barren moonscape, was "the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen," Anders told Andrew Chaikin, a writer who later recounted the photo's fascinating history for the Smithsonian. And the view was "totally unanticipated," Anders said, because the mission had been so focused on going to the moon."

I only wanted to remind folks of this historic event. CNN's article goes into environmental problems and climate change, so those not wanting to spoil this commemoration of history right now, don't read the article just yet.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'bill anders slams the manned mission to mars, and nasa in general', in a bbc radio interview.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A while ago they were looking for a middle aged couple to go to Mars. I started talking with the missus about it, lol.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    She didn’t say you were from there:p.

Sounds like a fun adventure, but I’m sure Mrs. Leisk is risk adverse:love:.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mendel Leisk likes this.