1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$500 'handling fee' buying a Prius?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jul 24, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

A co-worker in Northern Virginia has been looking at buying a Prius only to discover a $500 'handling' fee. I remember a smaller, 'accounting' fee when we bought our Prius but not in the $500 range. Is this now common practice in the Northern Virginia or other urban areas?

Bob Wilson

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this in addition to the tax they want to charge in Virginia because hybrids use less gas, so don't pay as much for the roads as other users? (By the way, when I moved to California in 1992 with my 1991 Honda Civic, I was charged what my family referred to as a "f**k you" fee for bringing in my supposedly less clean car, bought somewhere other than California, regardless of the fact that the Civics were built beyond California specs. Several years later, California had to refund this fee to everyone affected by it. No interest, but still, it was nice to get it back!)

TheEnglishman likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sounds just like an ADM fee I've seen posted on new car window stickers: Adjusted Dealer Markup. In Texas, we have a "doc fee" which is a legal fee for the sellers handling of legal documents. IIRC, the legal minimum is $50 but dealers are free to place whatever amount on that line in the contract that they think they can get away with.

Why are you posting this FHOP?

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My understanding is this is a dealer handling fee but I don't know to what extent it may incorporate other local and state expenses . . . personal property? This is for a used prius.

I'm remembering the fee in 2005, Fort Worth, was closer to $100 and I don't remember the Decatur AL fee. The 'port and destination charge' was a separate item.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect it is common to all Prius, Camry, and other vehicle sales in this area. It sounds like it spans all Prius models.

Bob Wilson

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The only fee name outlawed on price stickers is the one called "extra profit". It's a car dealer requirement to come up the replacement name.

7. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Tennessee we have a hellish $375.00 documentation and title fee, along with our high sales tax. Then again, it's better to be bit there than to be bit harder in other taxes.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DadofHedgehog mentioned about the VA fees in his recent thread about FORD Fusion Energi, which he crossed state lines to buy in MD specifically due to the lower addon fees. The other possible "advantage"of buying in MD is CARB certification but I am not sure yet if that is meaningful for a variety of reasons (see below and VA Prius could be CARB certified too).

>>Tell me what town and will estimate his sales, property tax and hybrid fees ($64/yr).

* FORD warranty implies if FORD hybrid car is CARB certified you get CARB 150k batt anytime you have car registered in a CARB state, which I interpret would increase resale value. People here say that Toyota takes a hard line interpretation that to get the CARB warranty, the car must be CARB certified and orig owner must immediately register in a CARB state from the getgo. If that is true (which I question) then registering the Prius in non-CARB VA would nullify the CARB warrranty.

9. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He should just ask the dealer to please don't handle it.

Merkey likes this.
  10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    When I encounter these BS fees, I respond back with a BS buyers fee. They get it and drop it or I walk.

Merkey likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One other thing he mentioned was how two listed Prius he was interested in had been taken down. Is there a metric for used Prius sales?

Our first Prius was bought via eBay eight years ago, 2005. At the time, there still were 'waiting lists' and substantial, dealer markups on new Prius. I'm wondering if the used Prius market has a lot of turnover?

When I surveyed the used Prius prices on eBay earlier today, I got the impression the earliest 2010 are still running over $15,000. I had recommended a 2008-09 model because the price-performance should be pretty darn good. However, I feel a little humbug recommending a car I'm not personally interested in.

I also mentioned seeing a goodly number of 2010s in Georgia.

Bob Wilson

12. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As expensive as buying a car in Tennessee is, the Toyota dealer I went to was very considerate. They showed me all kinds of tricks to cut the costs legally that I never would've guessed. I guess they'll like more of my money going to the dealership in a future purchase -- not to the state government.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When purchasing I shook hands with the salesman over a document that stated "documentation fee included". Then I was passed over to second salesman who produced a second document (ostensibly to use the dealership's letterhead), and a documentation charge had been re-instated, to the tune of $295.

The guy actually expressed dismay that I took exception to this. Eventually they re-wrote it once again, with the $295 struck off.

That's Open Road Toyota, Port Moody BC, in case it's of interest to anyone ;)

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Give me a hint about why it is expensive to buy a car in Tennessee? I like to compare state by state car tax policy.

15. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have an insane sales tax. It's like the second or third highest in the country maybe? I don't know that's what I heard on Yahoo!. It's like 9.725%.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK thanks got it! In North VA we pay 4% sales tax + $64/yr hybrid fee + annual property taxes on blue book value of car. I figure total could be as high as 20% tax on a Prius assuming 10-yr ownership (depends on your town's tax rate).

17. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's as if the very state that borders D.C. doesn't want their residents to save the environment. :eek:

wjtracy likes this.
  18. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kind of.

State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2013 | Tax Foundation

This chart doesn't show specific location rates within the states (e.g., the total sales tax in the city of Los Angeles is 9%, 1.5% higher than the California base rate), but Tennessee is right up there too!

wjtracy likes this.