1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

500 + Miles Per Tank - 4 tanks in a row

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Rick Grahn, May 7, 2005.

1. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have gotten over 500 miles per tank for the last 4 tanks! This was unusual for me....do you think that it is primarily the weather (warmer now) or is this common for all?

RJG

2. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

I've never had a tank less than 500 since I got my baby in November.
    I known the Florida climate and geography is a factor but I'm not
    bragging it's just the facts of my experience with my Prius.
    My best tank was 608 in April. I love this car. 8)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    it should be common for all especially in the summer time. at 50 mpg you can get 500+ miles with a very comfortable safety margin.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, maybe I should try and aim for that. My last tank was 377km and half a tank. Had to refuel because of an usually "low" gas price

5. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I've only had it happen once in the 15 months I've owned the car. It was in the summer when it was really warm outside and it was mostly freeway driving. I'm guessing the reason that it only happened once for me is that I live in a hilly area of Los Angeles, so that really blows my mileage coming and going from home.

6. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I barely get 400 on a tank. I've probably passed it 3 times in all 14 months of ownership. I get around 42-44 mpg though. Over the summer it should go up, I'm sure.

7. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's quite normal for me. It's actually quite rare that I get less.

8. GaithersburgPrius

GaithersburgPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian\";p=\"87787)</div>
    Ditto on that! I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I really thought my mpg would be much higher. I've had my Prius for 8 months now.

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GaithersburgPrius\";p=\"87893)</div>
    Ditto on that! I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I really thought my mpg would be much higher. I've had my Prius for 8 months now.
    [/b][/quote]

Also count in whether you're taking mostly short trips. I do that a lot, and I've been getting just over 400 miles a tank this winter/spring.

If I start taking long trips (doesn't have to be highway), the MPG goes up appreciably. And the warmer weather is, without a doubt, improving things.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Certainly the warmer weather is a factor here. My current tank is just over 200 miles and the computer MPG is 51.5. Those 200 miles are my normal 10 mile commute to work and other 'around town' trips. None more than 20 minutes but having linked several with 1 or 2 hour stops in between a lot lately, the car isn't cooling down much. A couple of months ago when a hot day was low 30's I was getting high 30s and low 40s with similar driving.

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know that if I wanted, I could go for 500+ miles on a tank. Unfortunately, when the last bar starts flashing I chicken out and pull into the gas station. But at 50+MPG 500 miles shouldn't be a problem.

Warm weather ROCKS! :cool:

12. CHART

CHART Member

I've kept very good recors since I bought my Prius and I'm averaging a lifetime (2 winters and 2 summers) 49 MPG. I still tend to fill up 50 miles after the last bar starts flashing and that is normally around 400 miles. When I do fill up, I only average putting 8 gallons in the car, so I guess I could go farther... but I dont.

13. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn\";p=\"87732)</div>
    I was getting over 49 mpg for March and April, but my first tank after rotating the tires (5000 mi) was only 45 mpg. It's hard to believe the rolling resistance would change that dramatically, but I cannot account for the change otherwise. Cold weather is never a factor here.

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I think that driving style is the main factor determining mpgs. I consistenly got 50-51 mpgs during the first 15,000 miles, when I decided that driving the car normally (occasional hard acceleration, 65 mph average instead of 55, a little spirited driving) was more fun. Now I get 46-48 mpgs but enjoy the car more.

15. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, one thing that really effects my mpg's is the length of the trip. My drive to school is only 2 miles, and in the mornings, I've got the heater cranked. Then the drive to work is only another 2 miles from school.

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found that my longer commutes do help. I'm routinely above 52mpg, and if I nurse the tank full, wait till I get to 2 or 1 bars (Sometimes 1 flashing), I can easily exceed 500 miles per tank.

17. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Brian\";p=\"87787)</div>
    Don't count on your mileage increasing in the summer. On the contrary, your summer mileage is likely to go south because you're using the AC. Orange, CA does not have "winter", unless there's an Orange, CA in the Sierras that I don't know about.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its kinda funny when two people in the same area, one says there is no cold weather and the other says he cranks his heat every morning.

but i can relate. i lived in the same area and when it got down to 60º, i had to get a coat...

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I go 2 miles uphill to school and downhill home. Kills my mpg. But I usually end up with about 46 mpg on a tank. I get to around 425 miles and decide it's time to fill it up. I don't like having one bar. Usually finances are a factor in when I fill up too. Gotta spend money on gas before it goes to other things. Yep, that's my fabulous life.

20. rflagg

rflagg Member

I think I might be starting a slow climb to catch Ray - past two tanks have broken 600, the last being 638 on 56.5mpgs.

-m.