1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

500 MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by IBEW103, Jun 25, 2006.

1. IBEW103

IBEW103 New Member

Hello everyone I'm new here to this board. I'm thinking of buying a Prius (for the wife) and a Hybrid Highlander for myself. I came up with this brainstorm for 2 reasons 1.) It drives me nuts the way the goverment has no interest in actually doing the right by its citizens. And 2.) I saw a program on TV the other night (I forgot the channel) anyway I was blown away by the documentry. The show was mostly about a Co. ( I believe in California) which converted the Toyota Prius to be capable of 500 Mpg after the MODS.

I cant get over what I heard on that program. Now currently I drive a 2006 Chevy DuraMax Diesel which gets great mpg,the wife drives a 2001 Chevy Tahoe which is absolutely HORRIBLE on gas.

Considering what I paid for my new truck if I spent the $ on a Hybrid Highland or Prius I would save Soooooooooooooooo uch $ on fuel. And lets not even begin what ot cost me to fuel up the Tahoe per month.

I'm converting to green after being on the other end of the fence for so long.

Dont get me wrong I love my Diesel pickup its sweeter than sweet and it gets great mpg, however I'm really getting sick of the gas/diesel prices and the Gov doing nothing about it, and all the selfish $ mongers who worry about there wallets ie. politians,CEO's.

Anyway does ANYBODY on this site know how I get in touch with the Co. that does these conversions to the Prius????????????

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If your chosen username implies anything about your affiliation and
    occupation, you should already know that that "500 mpg" [which is
    more like 140 by their claims] is not free, but comes from the WALL.
    In other words, gallons burned elsewhere that NONE of these companies'
    marketing efforts take into account.
    If they couched it in terms of "miles per kWH", you'd see a lot more
    real-world figures. Of course kWH from the wall are generally still
    cheaper than the ones from the pump, so the consumer still benefits
    if you discount the price of the mod, but not at the claimed levels.
    _H*

4. berylrb

berylrb Member

welcome to the boards!

you probably already know this but after you trade 'green' for the prii you can still rent some muscle when you need it from Hertz for instance and have your cake and eat it too.

b

5. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

The name of the program was "Addicted to oil†and yes there was a quote, something to the nature of '500 miles per gallon.' However, it was referring to an "Energy CS" conversion, now known as "Edrive" that gets 125 mpg, and there are some things you need to be aware of about those claims.

1 The conversion only gets 125 mpg when you use the car for 30-50 miles per day because after that it goes back to standard driving mode of about 40 to 50 mpg. So if you drove 200 miles every day you would only get 30 to 50 miles at 125 mpg and after that the next 150 to 170 miles would be at the 45 to 50 mpg. This would be much less than 125mpg.

2 To get that 125 mpg for the first 30 to 50 miles everyday you must plug in the new battery pack to charge it every night. When you figure it out electricity is much less cost per mile then gas. However if you charge from a power company you might be causing more air emissions to be produce to power you car then the regular Prius ever does. That being said I want to do this but I will plug into a battery pack in my garage charged by solar panels on my roof. Not perfect but still an improvement.

3 the "500 mpg" quote in the move revolved around the new fuel E85 - a mixed fuel - 85% Ethanol (gas blend). What the person on the show was trying to state was that if you used E85, 85% of a gallon was made in the U.S. and only 15% was made from oil. So if you had a plug in Prius you could drive 500 miles on a gallon of gas {and 7 gallons of ethanol, and 10 overnight charges} His math was way off because you could go a lot further then that on that much fuel and charging.

Anyway, the Prius is a great vehicle that can be retrofitted in many different ways. So many ways to retrofit that in fact many people are doing it. Soon I am sure someone will make a Hydrogen plug in conversion too. It is like having a computer. I have one, you have one, and they were basically the same when we purchased them, but now yours is for spreadsheets and mine is for gaming.

Welcome to the future.