1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000 mile service...ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jburns, Oct 16, 2009.

1. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I took my III in for its first service today. All I wanted was the free oil change. I told the order writer specifically to leave the tires alone and that I had them at 42 front-40 rear and wanted them to stay that way. Of course he said no problem they would not touch the tires.

So I get home and check as is my nature. Left front 34.5, right front 36.5, left rear 36, right rear 34.5. I assume he probably reset the TPS system so I had to put air in all the tires and then go on the hunt for the elusive TPS reset button under the steering wheel. I would love to slap the person that decided to put that button where it is. Even when you know where it is you can't find the damn thing.

Called the dealer asked for the service manager. Relayed what I have stated here. Of course he was apologetic and said my next service would be free. I told him I would have to think about it since I feel there is more than one problem here. Not only did they do what I specifically asked them not to do but they didn't even do it correctly. If you can't get tire air pressure correct I'm not sure I want you opening my engine if it becomes necessary.

The dealer built a new facility and there is really no way you can even peek into the service area. I'm just not comfortable with that either. For all I know they might have trained monkeys working back there.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Wonder if they actually refilled with the correct 0W-20, or something else?

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mazola corn oil.

Tom

4. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We discussed that before service as well. Receipt says 0w-20 and it was filled to just below the top mark so, since there is no way to check, I guess I'll have to assume they did.

5. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :) How would you know. Same color.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You might need to taste it. :D

Tom

7. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wouldn't help. I don't know what synthetic tastes like.

And don't tell me the old cliche, "It tastes just like chicken."

8. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Clearly not that well trained.

1 person likes this.
  9. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking the same thing while I was typing.

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It does! One day I was changing my oil and while under the car I smacked my head, moved and yelled just under the drain hole... nah just kidding. :D

With that said, I am actually not looking forward to my "free oil change".

11. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think I may pass on my "free oil change"...anyone have any experience with the Novato Toyota Service department? My salesman told me they were a "award winnnig" service department...but I trust customers' word of mouth more than that of a salesman.

12. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Navato huh. I see you are in Cal. Good thing. In the northeast if a dealer's name ends in a vowel they don't offer warranties. They offer protection and you will bring your car in for service. :eek:

13. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

That is why they don't allow you to see the service area. It took a long time to train those monkeys and they consider it a trade secret. :madgrin:

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my experience over the years with ALL Dealer Service Visits on EVERY car I have ever owned has taught me to print out several copies of a list of exactly what services I expect to be performed during this service visit. Any Special Instructions, I.E., 42Front/40 Rear etc. 1 copy for my servce advisor, and one for the mechanic. So far, the Advisor has just copied the list Veratim onto the servce work order. I use LARGE BOLD ARIEL font, Engish, en espanola, supply my own Oil, Filter, and O ring. I rotate my own tires, change the filters, BOTH, and basically all the dealer does is a simple oil change and any warrenty work that needs to be performend. When they pull the car up for pickup, I have my pressure guage in hand, quick check the tires, never had a problem!
    If you go into your service visit knowing what services you can perform yourself, what you actually need and also DO NOT need, you can save MONEY, TIME and come out ahead and HAPPY! Have a plan, and be pleasant and firm, I have always gotten what I wanted, and not necessarily what they would love to sell me!!!

Its your car, they are working for you, get what you want to pay for!!!

15. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is exactly why I now take care of the maintenance myself...

Bryan

16. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did my own for years on a wide variety of cars. I'm 62 with an implanted defibrillator now and it has less appeal than it used too.

I'm thinking about taking Smith & Wesson to my next service.

"So ya want to change my air pressure. (click) Ya gotta ask yourself, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?"

"Go ahead, make my day."

17. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not a good plan. I would have shot the service writer on the last visit and I don't believe that WiFi is a current perk of the California State Prison system. :madgrin:

18. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this thread is ridiculous. you got a free oil change. you're all acting like that button under the steering wheel is anything difficult to simply push with your finger! sheesh. yes, they got your special direction wrong, but for cryin' out loud, its a 30 second adjustment to get your car back out of factory spec to a higher psi. The seriousness at which this thread and the OP's level of outrage are being taken are ridiculous.

:eek:

so some trained techs adjusted something they don't ever really have to think about (tire pressure? they set it to spec and walk away). very few owners have such strict instructions on tire pressure. its true.

this is akin to someone posting "Toyota forgot to give me my floormat clips...wonder if they also forgot...MY AIRBAGS!?!? MY SAFETY IS AT RISK!!!!!!!!"

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What have you got against trained monkeys? They've done great work for me in the past.

20. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First, explain to me why you seem to be on a crusade against competency?

Secondly, as far as your claim that the thread is being taken too seriously I think there has been quite a bit of good natured humor in several posts including mine.