1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000 mile service - pleasantly surprised!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by niferbee, Aug 7, 2004.

1. niferbee

niferbee New Member

I was dreading the 5,000 mile service after hearing comments about how dealers don't always reset the maintenance required light, make mistakes, etc...

Since it's a rarity on here to commend a dealership for service, I thought I'd start a thread.

Dealer: Dave Mungenast Alton Toyota

When we bought the car, they said we'd get free oil changes/tire rotations for 3 yrs/36,000 miles. Their recommended service intervals is 3,500 miles (when we bought the car - I said I thought Toyota said 5K for the Prius and he disagreed with me - I waited 5K miles anyway).

I figured when I took the car in for it's routine maintenace I thought:
    (a) I'd have to mention/argue about the free maintenance, because I don't have that on paper any where - it was just stated from the salesman I bought it from

or
    (B) I'd have to pay some charge for the 5K service and then they'd just deduct some small fee for the oil change/tire rotation.

Boy - was I wrong! When the car was ready, I was all prepared to argue if the cashier said I owed anything. However, all she did was hand me the receipt with the words "No Charge" across the fee!

Got in, and was also happy the maintenance required light was turned off! :) (I know - not that hard to do, but it at least shows someone there knows how to handle the Prius!)

Yay! I'm glad to say I picked the right dealership (although they are about 30-45 minutes away from me and there are ones closer but they had a longer wait (we still haven't gotten a call and ordered in january))

Jen

2. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    saved

Well Jen you just saved yourself $102 which is what Oakbrook Toyota charged me for the 5K service and oil change. They did a fine job, no problems and had the 40D recall done at the same time.

Had to buy my Prius in WY but am glad I did. Latest MPG was 53 and just keeps improving.

3. arizonakim

arizonakim Junior Member

5000 K service

$102 sounds like a RIP to me
    do u feel u need to go to a Toyota dealership just for an oil change?
    I would if it was reasonable but I don't think that is, not even close
    just MHO

4. niferbee

niferbee New Member

The charge (that I wasn't charged) was I believe $53 (give or take a couple bucks).

I'll have to look in my manual to see if there's anything special in the 5K service that maybe they didn't do - I think they did everything, but I should check.

For whether or not to take it to a Toyota dealer to get oil changes?

I wouldn't usually go to the dealer for oil changes, but ... with the prius I feel safer doing so, because I would think Toyota would know better than anyone else what (if anything) needs to be checked in the prius.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think the 5k check up involves checking the seals, suspension, alignment, brake wear, and the computer logs besides the fluid checks.

i know my dealer went through some extensive steps on mine. i watched them work for about 20 mins and he was jamming for sure. the oil change didnt take up 2 min of his time.

6. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The 5k service is oil change, tire rotation, and "inspecting" various items. "Inspecting" means looking at.

$102 seems quite steep for: $1.74 worth of oil (3.5qts at $0.49 per after rebate), a $5.41 Toyota oil filter, and a $0.92 washer (also Toyota). But, if it gives you piece of mind, it could be money well spent. For me personally, I'd rather do it myself, and spend the money elsewhere.

The above are exact prices for what I purchased for my last oil change; I do it myself since I didn't want to opt for the $59.95 "special" value that my local Toyota dealer offers.

And so everyone knows, the oil change proceedure on the Prius is exactly like the oil change procedure on practically every other car.

Thanks,
    Shawn

7. N9IWP

N9IWP New Member

my 5k service was around $36. The did reset the maintenance light and didn't overfill the oil. It was at Steve Low's Midwest Toyota

Brian

8. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil Change

At Performance Toyota here in Omaha, NE it has only cost me $26.50 for an oil change. As for tire rotation when I bought the car I took it to a local tire shop and paid $80.00 dollars for life time balancing, rotation and road hazard.

9. frenchofva

frenchofva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anybody know where I can get an oil analysis done? I just did my 5K service. Quoted price was $59 for tire rotation, oil/filter change and inspection. I asked for synthetic oil vice dino oil. The price I paid was $88 after tax and the additional cost for the synthetic oil. Dealer said I could provide my own oil in the future and the charge for the oil change would be $16. They did overfill, or more correctly, I think they did not let the oil completely drain from the pan.. I took out about 4 ounces when I got home, and it certainly did not look like oil that had only been driven 15 miles. I want to get the 4 ounces I removed tested to see if it is a mixture of synthetic and dino oil.

10. Gen2

Gen2 Member

I have not tried this lab but it got a lot of press from a few web sites I was surfing when searching for synthetic info.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free_test_kit.html

11. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

$102??!!! Bill, I hate to tell how badly OakBrook Toyota ripped you. But, if you're happy with the service and have peace of mind, I guess that counts for something.

I had my 5K done at Bredemann in Park Ridge and was very satisfied with the service and knowledge of the car the Prius techs (and everyone in the service department) had. I was a little upset about the $54 cost for the service though.

Just had the 10K done in Houston yesterday for a grand total of $26.95. The service writer tried to convince me that all the cars are shipped from the factory with 5W30 but they really should have 10W30 when the oil is changed. I insisted on the 5W30 that the manual calls for and they wanted to charge extra for the "change order". I ended up with the correct oil and rotated tires adjusted to my preferred 41/39 pressure. No extra charge for the "change order" and it turns out they had 5W30 in stock (I had offered to go to Pep Boys and buy some for them).

I'm not sure how each dealer goes about pricing their service, but $26.95 - $102 seems to be quite a range for the same service!

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    Can't help but be more amazed by this car every day!
    Matt

12. myride

myride Junior Member

I was plesently surprised when i went in for my first 5K service. I was told it would be $44 and some change. would take an hour and i could wait. Wait i did. I told my service rep i wanted to inspect the brakes when the tech had the tires and drums off. I did get to inspect the brakes with the tech and look under the veh. about 45 min later the veh was done and the reminder light was reset. the total was a little bit CHEAPER than the quote so i was happy. As for the 102 for a 5K service .... id look for a new dealership for service.

13. frenchofva

frenchofva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil Analysis Kit

Thanks for the tip. I have ordered the kit and will post results to the chatroom.

14. Victoriatus

Victoriatus New Member

5000 miles? Why on earth is it 5000 miles? I've heard of 7500 miles or 10000 miles, and in Europe it's a whole another thing. Full service every 2 years or 30000 kilometers (~18600 miles) and an oil change every year or 15000 kilometers (~9300 miles) as advised by Toyota directly. No stealership business here. Quite a difference, isn't it?

15. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I personally go in for service at the same rate as you guys over in Europe do, especially since I make sure synthetic oil is used. In the various cars that my family has, we never do service until well after the reccomended limit, and have never had any problems.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    YMMV

5000 miles in the desert of arizona may be way too long.

in a wetter climate, 5000 maybe way too soon. you need to use some common sense.

if i was driving 50 miles one way to work, i doubt that i would change the oil every 3000 or 5000 miles for that matter.

but if i worked 5 miles away, you bet i would be in the shop every 3000 miles...

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I paid $21.71 for the six-month service. No tire rotation as I only had 4,100 miles on it. They changed the oil, topped off all the fluids, etc.

18. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update

First, many thanks for the tips and comments regarding the fees paid for the 5K service. I called the service manager who was very nice, positive and gave various reasons for the cost difference. These included, but were not limited to, the following:
    1) Well, we did the 7500 mile service. (According the the service manual that doesnt exist.)
    2) We take a worse case senerio regarding service and did the "special operating conditions" service. (Last time I looked Chicago is not in a desert and everything is paved.)
    3) Well, we looked at the TSAs issued and followed that. (Oh really, can you fax me a copy?)
    Long story short, they are going to credit my card for $46 after I declined accepting it to be credited towards the 10,000 mile service. In general, am disappointed to say the least. People make mistakes, we all do, so just admit it and lets move on.
    So again, thanks. And as a sign of appreciation am donating the $46 to Danny so that all may benefit, albeit indirectly, from this forum.

19. niferbee

niferbee New Member

Bill60546 -
    glad to hear they credited you back $46 -

I'm assuming you're going to go somewhere else now?

20. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

Bill,

I'm happy to hear you were able to get $46 credited. Sorry you had that kind of experience with the dealer. It's good to know these fora are available and helpful.

And it's a classy move on your part to donate the $46. Good to have you on PC.

Hope to see you on the roads when I get back to Chicago.

Matt