1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000 mile service

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by thaight, May 10, 2006.

1. thaight

thaight New Member

I had my car serviced yesterday at Longo Toyota. They had a special for $63.99.

Service representative informed me that Prius needed special Mobil 1 oil. That was $22 extra. Later when I read the service order, I found that it stated that oil selection was at "customer's request."

When I inquired at the statement "customer request" I was told that this is standard language and that I would see the difference."

Is this an example of "Bait and Switch?" :huh:

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thaight @ May 10 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]252716[/snapback]</div>
    Don't know if it's "Bait and Switch", but you were lied to and ripped off. Many of us do use Mobil 1, but it certainly isn't necessary and $22 would pay for 4-5 quarts at Wal-mart.

I think a letter of complaint and an insistance that your next change be free is in order...if they don't I'd find somewhere else to go. Remember, it isn't necessary to use the dealer for a simple 5k mile service...it's just an oil change and tire rotation and any "Jiffy Lube" or whatever is capable of that....wouldn't hurt to remind the dealership of that in your letter.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thaight @ May 10 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]252716[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, don't let them get away with this. Complain to the manager.

Mobil-1 might give you better mileage; but you should not have been told that the Prius "needed" Mobil-1; but rather Mobil-1 is a higher quality synthetic oil and that it would cost you $22 extra. You make the call if you want to spend the extra.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    standard language?

"at customer request" means exactly that. they're just trying to make more money by selling mobil 1 at an outrageous price instead of whatever cheap stuff they've got.

5. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

Sounds like you have a reason for a grievance...

I had my 5000 mile service on Friday. Supplied my own Mobil 1 and got all the other stuff in the book done. Total cost was $22.50 for the service and $15 for the oil at Kmart.

Sorry for your troubles, I'd write the service manager and copy Toyota Corporate.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's surprising. I've talked to 4 dealers in San Diego, none have Mobil 1 to put in (the default seems to be Valvoline dino, unless you request Valvoline synthetic). I've always brought my own oil in and generally the oil is taken off the bill.

7. thaight

thaight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ May 10 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]252770[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the responses. I spoke with Longo and they said that they will refund the oil charge and send me a certificate for a free 10K service!. I will let you know when it arrives.

Thanks again!