1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

5000 mile service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cjindia, Oct 9, 2008.

1. cjindia

cjindia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All

I am going to take my car in for a 5K service tomorrow. I have a question on what I should expect should be done. Going from the owners manual it sounds like oil filter, oil change, tire rotation and top up of fluids. Interestingly, the dealership that I spoke to, told me 2 different costs. The 'service advisor' told me $78 for the Prius. The quick lube person told me $40 for the lube, oil filter, oil change and tire rotation.

I didnt manage to get a hold of a service advisor again to ask what the $78 includes. I dont want to be sold on needless stuff, so is it ok to just have the oil filter and oil changed and the tires rotated or do I need to go for more than that? Advice appreciated.

CJ
    4200 miles and counting.

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $78? My dealers 5k mile service is normally $62.99 but they send out coupons for $59.99. I had my service at 5k and 10k done at Big O Tires. $36 for oil change and tire rotation and balance as needed.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi CJ,

From a warranty point of view, all you need at this time is to have the engine oil and oil filter changed. Any other service activities including tire rotation are strictly optional.

If you decide to pay for tire rotation, I suggest you rotate after the first 5K miles, then subsequently rotate at 10K mile intervals to save some $$.

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P W is right, if you rotate the tires every 5kmi. you'll almost pay as much as a new set when they wear out. All you really need is a Oil and filter change, remind them to set your tire pressure to 42 front 40 rear, and check your dealers web site that your going to to see if they have any coupons. My dealer always has oil change coupons for $25 that's good at there quick oil change as well as in the regular service dept. If your dealer has a quick oil change that's fine, save yourself the agrivation of waiting around or leaving the car.

5. cjindia

cjindia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thanks folks. When does the air filter need to be changed? I called the service guy back abt the $78 as it was bothering me. The service guy basically told me that for they also check hoses and belts, and the air filter. I assume I dont need all this. But when does the air filter really need to be changed and can I do it, or do I need to get them to do it?

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The air filter usually needs to be changed (at least in my case) around 15 - 20k miles. You can easily do it yourself. Just unclip all the clips around the cover and lift off the cover, take the filter out put in the new filter the same way the old came out and reclip the cover in place. Usually when they change your oil they check you hoses belts, filters anyway. Ask them what complimentary checks they do when they change your oil.

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that 15K miles is about right for the engine air filter change, although this depends upon the amount of dust and smog in your local area. When you remove the old filter for inspection, hold it up so that the filter is between your eyes and the sun. If you can see light (compare with a new filter if necessary) then the old filter is OK for continued use. If it is dark, then replace it.

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, don't go in asking for a "5K service" , Instead tell them exactly what you want. An oil change and tire rotation. That way you can't be overcharged or sold anything you don't want. Never ask for a "service"

You determine what your car needs by looking in your car's "maintenance passport to service" book.
    You'll note those filters are required at 30K in the book, but the suggestions to change them earlier are a good idea. But, do them yourself, it's very easy. Just purchase them at your dealer's parts counter or order them online.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    9G-man said it exactly. Dealer's service departments usually try to sell "service packages" that charge you for everything that could possibly be performed on any car they might see, including stuff that cannot even be done on a Prius. If a service writer argues with you and wants to do more stuff than what is shown on the relevant X miles/Y months page in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, go to another service writer. (Of course if during the oil change the service technician finds something broken that needs to be fixed, that's a different matter.)

And *always* check the oil level yourself before driving away from any oil change. Doing this can reveal gross mistakes before they become annoying and/or expensive. It's easy to do. There are instructions in the Owner's Manual.

10. cjindia

cjindia New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. The car tires have a lower tire pressure mentioned 35/33 front and rear, but a number of you have mentioned 42/40. Is there a reason the car label doesnt mention this higher pressure and why is the higher pressure necessary? Will the service advisor argue with me if I ask for higher pressure, saying its not what Toyta recommends. Also, whats the ideal oil level after the oil change? Thanks

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are two reasons why 42/40 psi is recommended tire pressure:

1. You will find that at 35/33 psi, your tires will show significant wear on the outside shoulders of the tire tread. Tread wear will be more even at the higher suggested pressures.

2. You will obtain slightly better mpg with the use of higher tire pressure.

The service advisor may well argue with you regarding the use of higher tire pressure. Hence you may find it worthwhile to invest in a small air compressor powered by the 12VDC auxiliary power socket and a digital air pressure gauge, so that you can inflate your tires as you see fit.

The ideal oil level after the engine oil change is slightly below the top dimple on the dipstick.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The lower, factory tire pressures are a compromise amongst fuel economy, handling, and ride comfort.

Any oil level between the lower and upper marks on the dipstick is OK; closer to the high mark gives you some margin of safety against unanticipated oil consumption. In 55 months I've never detected any change in oil level between oil changes. Because of that I'm comfortable with providing three quart bottles of oil to the technician, which puts the oil level halfway between the marks and prevents any possibility of overfilling.