1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

52 mpg for the first 120 miles!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by aminorjourney, Feb 4, 2007.

1. aminorjourney

aminorjourney Mum to two prius!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Folks!

After reading the forums on fuel economy and already being used to coasting from owning my EV we took our brand new 07 Prius for it's first ever drive yesterday which was from Bristol UK to Wales so we could drop off our old (scarily polluting and low mpg) '92 Honda Prelude (The Prelude is being converted to an EV so it will get it's chance to pay for all 130,000 miles of polluting!).

My partner 'Merikate drove the car to Wales and I drove back. We managed a great 52mpg. Not bad for the first 120 miles eh?

We filled it up this morning and the mpg is back down to 44mpg. What's the average MPG for the first few thousand miles then?

Nikki.

2. rik

rik Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Feb 4 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]385188[/snapback]</div>
    That's great and congratulations. Sounds like you did better than what is typical because you were doing a fairly long single trip. I am commuting 10-15 miles each way daily and on my first 1000 miles I average just over 40mpg.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    To the OP, to avoid confusion, you should indicate whether your figures are in Imperial or US gallons.

Most of the people posting on this board are in the US are will automatically use US gallons and therefore US mpg figures.

My lifetime avg. is ~45.4 (US) mpg and I'm at about 15K miles now.

If your figures are in Imperial mpg, then 52 UK mpg is ~43 US mpg. 44 UK is ~36 US mpg.

4. Nemecio

Nemecio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aminorjourney @ Feb 4 2007, 02:34 PM) [snapback]385188[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Nikki

Sounds quite familiar. We purchased our Prius about a year ago (an '06 Prius at the beginning of 2006). We drove it out of the lot, went home to pick up our luggage, and went on a 200 mile road-trip for the weekend. The trip total was about 400 miles, and we got about 50 mpg. We have never gotten that great of a mileage since. Even on our trips to Los Angeles (400 miles away from home) to visit my wife's family, we get 45-47 mpg at best. It may be something with the battery charge (who knows). We have about 12K miles on it now, and average about 42 mpg in the city and 45 highway (not the 62 mpg sticker).

Nevertheless, it has better mileage than our other two cars, and is quite an enjoyable ride.

Best of luck!

Nemie

5. montelb@ada.k12.oh.us

[email protected] New Member

We've had our 07 since Dec. 29th, and we've gotten about 49 mpg (US) for the last month. My driving is mostly 13 mile commutes to and from work. I'm driving barren country roads and using the Pulse and Glide technique. It takes me about 30 minutes each way for the commute. We haven't taken any long trips yet, but I'm pleased with the mpg considering the cold temps of January and early February. We've got around 1,000 miles logged.

Enjoy your new car. We love ours!