1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Day with New GPS- I broke the car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sheepdog, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my new Garmin 660 yesterday evening when I got home from work at midnight. I was up till 4am updating the maps and playing. I really like the GPS unit....but the cig lighter power plug down low near the pax floor? I was pulling out the traffic TMC power plug and it came out with the lighter plug with it!

I didnt see any torn wires, just the metal blades like on a larger fuze or relay assembly. Do these just slip out and in or did I really toast the power plug?

The power cable is just too tight I guess. Maybe because it's new maybe.

But is this a big issue or no?

and the GPS is fine. and really cool!:peep:

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The wire harness really does have a plug on the end that just slips over those blades. You haven't toasted anything, at least nothing electrical. (I wonder, mechanically, how the lighter socket pulled out of its hole - no flying plastic chips or anything, I trust?)

Repair probably won't be as simple as pushing the socket back in the hole - the wiring harness end is probably dangling down behind the hole now. What you'll likely have to do is remove that piece of plastic lower dash trim, and then you'll see the wiring behind it. Put the lighter socket back in the hole in the plastic - see if you can figure out what clips it in place and keeps it there - then take the plug on the wire harness end and push it securely onto the blades on the end of the lighter socket, and reinstall the trim.

Removing that trim piece in a G1 is really easy, I don't know about a G2. In a G1 there are two round black clips near the floor, 1 each on the driver and passenger side; they are the kind of clip with a center button you can just push in till it clicks, then the clip easily pulls out. With those two clips removed, the whole trim piece with lighter socket and all can just be pulled gently straight away from the dash (the top edge is secured by some invisible springy clips that will slip out nicely if you just pull gently and straight). Putting it back together is the reverse, but before you put the round clips back in you push the little center stalks back through so they stick out on the head side. Then put the clips back in the holes and push the center stalks down until they are flush and click.

Of course, I just described the G1 procedure, which may or may not even be close for your G2, but you'll probably be able to figure it out.

hope this helps,
    -Chap

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    but that may also mean that I dont dare use the thing again I guess. drat.
    Im afraid to use the one in the center console. hate to kill that one too!

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh pshaw. While you've got the cover off to plug your lighter socket back in,
    look for why it pulled out so easily. Maybe tighten something or add a little something to reinforce it. A ty-wrap around it on the inside of the panel might do the trick.

-Chap

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thats a good idea chap. I shall look into it.

6. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be no problem to put it back in. I also have the Garmin 660 and love it Let me know if you have any questions about the unit and especially the Bluetooth function I installed a separate mini amplifier and external speaker to increase the volume for the hands-free function of the 660. Also be sure to update your 660 on the computer as new updates just came out for both the maps and the unit itself. New updates also came out for the vehicles you can choose for the unit. Somre pretty cool looking ones too!!!

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I stayed up 4 hrs thursday evening/friday morn playing with it and doing the updates. It did a unit upgrade of sme sort then a longer maps update. I have the NT 2009 maps now. I have the 94,000 Red light camera locations also now. I got a couple of red cars and an eagle and spitfire for icons too.

Pretty neat unit. I was showing my wife how I can use it to answer calls and search for a restaurant then call them without touching my phone. Now she wants one!

Pretty cool. I didnt like the ac vent clip attachment so now am using the suction cup mount on the metal circle. I attached it to the dash just to the left of the MFD on the silver plastic part. It is stuck good. I think it is the permanent circle. I didnt get a temp circle somehow. I thought I would. The stock mount is very steady and doesnt vibrate or jiggle. Just wish I had not messed up the power outlet. Thanks for the offer to help with questions.

8. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not familiar with the red light camera locations. How did you get that? Is it standard or an upgrade you need to buy?

9. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A