1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

53000 miles 10 years later and babying my 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GoliathMV, Jul 31, 2020.

1. GoliathMV

GoliathMV Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I like to post what major work or maintenance I have committed to completing with my beloved 2010 Prius. I recently had the brake pads swapped all around and rotors. The 2010 Prius purchased by me NEW and original parts finally needed brakes and rotors. I picked up the entire parts list from AutoZone so shout out to them for having some impressively low prices on the parts. So yeah for all my Prius drivers if you keep your Prius parked outside for 10 years baby the brakes and put 50,000+ miles during those 10 years which I know is low you can essentially save some money in maintenance cost that most other vehicles just can't do. I also own a 2015 mustang that needed brakes done with 23,000 miles. So I have come to the conclusion that any car that is not a Prius just doesn't have the same endurance that our beloved Prius does when it comes to part wear down. I will continue my American/Japanese car comparison further. Let me be very specific to say that both brakes cost the same all around so price was not better on the Prius over the Mustang. The timing of the work was done exactly half with the American Manual drive mustang. So 5 Years for brakes even when babying and often engine braking. Again the Prius has come up as the endurance beast of the bunch. FYI the Mustang I am using as my base line comparison is the FORD beloved Ecoboost platform so its a fair comparison. Both vehicles are 4 cylinder engines. The Prius of course has the synergy system so it also gets support from the electric motor. The mustang on the other hand gets a power boost from the twin scroll turbo. Both cars are over 1000CC of total power the mustang is 400CC in extra power which contributes to its brake wear. Additionally the Prius makes much use of its regen braking to slow the vehicle without scrapping the pads. So yeah again fair comparison for the most part but Prius is the clear winner today.

ASRDogman, AzusaPrius and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    50k is really low for prius brakes, must be road salt

Johnny Cakes and Majafamily like this.
  3. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 04 had 197,000 miles when it got totaled, and the brakes were like 50%. My 14 has 120,000 and they look like pretty darn new. But then I don't have that much city driving. I'm in NE Illinois, so road salt is very common here.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Have you cleaned the EGR circuit & intake manifold? If not, we strongly recommend.