1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

57 mpg? That's so 20 years ago

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Car makers are confident they can meet new government rules calling for a national fleet average of 35 miles per gallon. But it will take a big technological push, they say.

You might wonder why, since twenty years ago the car that got the best mileage in the nation was a real techno-wimp compared to what's on the road today. It wasn't even a hybrid. But it got better fuel economy than any car sold now - even the Toyota Prius.

Looking back at the 1987 Honda Civic CRX shows us why cars use so much more gas today and about the trade-offs we've had to make.

The CRX HF got an Environmental Protection Agency-estimated 57 mpg gallon in highway driving. Today, the most fuel-efficient non-hybrid Civic you can buy gets an EPA-estimated 34 mpg on the highway. Even today's Honda Civic Hybrid can't match it, achieving EPA-estimated highway mileage of just 45 mpg. The Toyota Prius, today's fuel mileage champ, gets 46 mpg on the highway.

Full Article

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    cars need to be lighter

3. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    absolutely, the great Colin Chapman who founded Lotus cars was asked what he did to make his cars so fast, he said "add lightness"

The Lotus Elise and the Tesla which is based on the Elise are excellent examples

The next gen Ferraris will probably be a lot more Lotus like

as for the CRX, I bought a CRX HF 2nd gen right around when the 1st Gulf war started and I could go 2 weeks on a tank

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The CRX certainly got much better mileage. It also certainly polluted a hell of a lot more than today's cars. Comparing the CRX to today's cars (with safety and pollution improvements - not to mention size - is similar to comparing the Prius to the Corolla.)

I do absolutely agree that the fleet average can very easily be significantly higher than it is today with no tech breakthroughs needed. Heck, I'm driving a car that was designed in the early 80's that gets about 200 mpg equivalent.

5. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    to make it more fair... they should compare to Prius' old EPA

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They mention the CRX's updated EPA numbers later on, and article does go on a little on how a little 20yr old two seater wouldn't be sellable today(no AC or safety features).

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My primary vehicle got 80mpg in 1981. My mileage has been steadily improving since then. After the motorcycle, I took (less than) rapid transit, then rode my bicycle, then mostly walked, and now most of my work comes to me. :D

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Reducing weight does a lot more than anything else because:

- saves fuel
    - saves wear & tear on tyres
    - reduce wear and tear on the roads (esp with our soft road material)
    - better handling (less weight to shift around)
    - reduces emissions (as a result of less fuel burned)
    - reduces waste (lighter car, smaller wheels/tyres can be used, less rubber used)

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The question is how to do it and still get people to buy it. The model bloat doesn't help, but I believe most of the weight gains are from safety features. At least it is something people won't be willing to give up.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    some of it is, others is just cost - manufacturers don't want to spend on aluminium.

Think about it. Our 2002 Camry XLE (so it has a power moonroof, 6 airbags, power seats and so forth) weighs 1,500kg. Check out a loaded Caliber or Nitro. They both weigh the same or more than the Camry yet are smaller vehicles.

Heck, the new 07 Camry LE weighs the same as our 02 Camry XLE. Even Toyota cut back on aluminium use on the new model.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    cars do need to be lighter, smaller, more options... there are a MILLION people out there that would drive an upgraded eco-box today if they could afford one.

a lot of people (i know a whole bunch of them) are stuck with the vehicle they have because they can not afford to change. they are the people who are making just enough to live... cant see going into debt for a car that will not give them a return for 10-15 years...

and lets face it... if you finance a car, you will NEVER get your return...

and there are many many more of them then there are of us... we who had the means to be able to invest a sizable chunk of change knowing we would not really see any savings for years...

so until the government realizes that...or someone does... we are screwed...

12. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The CRX HF is the direct ancestor to the Honda Insight. My 88 CRX HF got 50mpg - 60 when I was trying, once got 76mpg+ hypermiling. It's amazing the Insight is the same weight but is both safer and cleaner...of course they did that by replacing the steel with aluminum.

13. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Aluminum is the poor mans carbin fiber But cf prices have dropped a lot since 1970 and at 1st it was only used by manufacturers like Ferrari, Porsche, and Lamborghini

but today my relatively economical Corvette Z06 has a cf hood and fenders

maybe in another 10 or 20 years cf will be cheaper than aluminum and we will see cf econoboxes

That would drastically reduce weight & increase mpg

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It may be a poor man's CF but they're still expensive compared to steel. I would say CF on the luxury cars first, aluminium on the cheaper ones.

15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One thing the lightweight Honda Insight and soon to be on the market Aptera proves - low weight can give very high fuel economy. Whoever finds a way to make carbon fibre, super strength steel, aluminum, or other material cheap will have a technology that improves fuel economy about as much as current hybrids.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What about using hemp fibre as a strong, lightweight material?

17. badaka

badaka New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In 1987 I bought a new Chevy Sprint (made by Suzuki) that had a one litre, three cylinder gas engine for about $7,500.00.

I consistenly got 46 mpg in city driving. I once did a highway mileage test and recorderd 62 mpg.

Nice car, eventually gave it to my mother because I needed something bigger for the growing family.

18. WARHORSE

WARHORSE New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    is it stronger than fiberglass ? stronger than thermoplastics used on car bodies ? stronger than aluminum ? stronger than steel ?

19. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think it is. Here's a old video that shows how strong it is. It can also be manufactured with much less energy, resources, and environmental damage than metals.

20. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for this link... #1 (by the same poster) was just as interesting, and lead to a number of other interesting vids on hemp.