1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. LongRun

LongRun New Member

When I get a few thousand miles on my Prius, I'm going to switch to synthetic oil. I've been wondering about trying a 5w-20. The viscoisty of a 5w-30 at 100F is about 10 cSt. Most 5w-20's are about 8.5 or so, but one 5w-20, Red Line is 9.1. I think I would get the protection I need and make life for the engine a little easyer.

Ive seen the used oil analysis on many 5w-30's and many shear down below 10 pretty quickly, and the ones on Red Line used in Corvette's and other performance applications sticks very close to it's starting point for the while interval. Any thoughts?

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes. I use 5w20 over 5w30 here in California at 10,000-15,000 miles intervals.

I don't know if it improves my mpg since I've been using it since my first oil change. I typically use Royal Purple because it is easier to get, but sometimes I run on Amsoil or Redline. All of them are superior to Mobil 1 and cost about $6-7/qt. Of course, only synthethics. Also of equal importance is the filter.

Not being technical, but most Honda 4 bangers recommend 0w20 or 5w20 on the oil caps. I had zero problems running 5w20 and 0w20 on a Honda 1.7 liter for 80,000 miles. Seals did not leak either.

'05 @ 44,000 miles

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Repeat post. Delete.

4. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Dec 3 2006, 01:02 AM) [snapback]356874[/snapback]</div>
    Are they superior enough to warrant the much higher cost? The price for Mobil 1 5w-30, when bought in the bulk, 5-qt jugs, can bring the cost down to $4.40/qt.

5. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Dec 3 2006, 08:40 AM) [snapback]356930[/snapback]</div>
    I would say yes. On my previous car I ran Mobil1 most of the time, but it wouldn't hold up to 15,000 miles. Right around 11,000-12,000 mark the oil would look very dark indicating that it was time to change. The oils mentioned above have all been capable of running to 15,000 miles without significant signs of dark coloring; they only reach 10,000 miles if you use a purolator one or bosch filter.

It's really up to you though since ALL of them (including Mobil1) will protect your engine far better than Penzoil, Valvoline, Quaker, etc.

Here are a few articles comparing oils (some of these are from the manufacturer's website...so might have slight bias):

Royal Purple
    http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html
    http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Royal_Purple_info.html

Amsoil vs. Redline
    http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Redline_test.html

Amsoil vs. Mobil1
    http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/Amsoilvs.Mobil1.htm

Amsoil vs. Common Brands (Penzoil, etc.)
    http://www.go-synthetic.com/amsoil_testing...il_testing.html

And this one is from a Tundra forum
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engi...e-vs-mobil-1-a/

6. LongRun

LongRun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Dec 3 2006, 06:40 AM) [snapback]356930[/snapback]</div>
    Mobil 1 is priced too high for a Group III based oil, and the prices are going up. There are other GIII's that perform as well as Mobil 1 for a bit less. In fleet service we had higher wear numbers and a little more top end wear with Mobil 1. Mobil 1 was replaced with Chevron Supreme Synthetic, a GIII synthetic oil. CSS performed better for about have the price, at bulk rates. Mobil 1 does a great job with advertising and their factory fill program, but lab results prove it to be just another good oil, nothing special. In police patrol duty, with Ford Crown Vic's Motorcraft 5w-20 (a syn blend with GII+ and GIII components) performed as well as or better than Mobil 1 5w-20 for less than half the cost. MC 5w-20 is a very good oil and I would pick it over Mobil 1 5w-20, especially considering the price. If price is really important there might be better choices than Mobil 1. I'm willing to pay the $7.50 a quart for Red Line, a Group V oil, and if I try the 5w-20 I will report my results. I justify the Red Line to my wife by telling here I make up the difference changing the oil at home. Works, so far.

Oh, by the way, Mobil 1 Extended Performace is headed for $7 a quart. Our people in the lab can not tell us the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP, based on base stocks and additive carriers.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I'm no professor of engineering. But after putting 280k on a 3.3l 1990 Grand Caravan and 180k on our current Chevy Venture both of them never use any oil between changes and never any engine problems I'd say Quaker State is good enough and I'll save the extra dough LOL.

It's really up to you though since ALL of them (including Mobil1) will protect your engine far better than Penzoil, Valvoline, Quaker, etc.

Here are a few articles comparing oils (some of these are from the manufacturer's website...so might have slight bias):

Royal Purple
    http://www.royalpurple.com/techrp/summary.html
    http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Royal_Purple_info.html

Amsoil vs. Redline
    http://www.performancemotoroil.com/Redline_test.html

Amsoil vs. Mobil1
    http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/Amsoilvs.Mobil1.htm

Amsoil vs. Common Brands (Penzoil, etc.)
    http://www.go-synthetic.com/amsoil_testing...il_testing.html

And this one is from a Tundra forum
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engi...e-vs-mobil-1-a/
    [/quote]

8. LongRun

LongRun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Dec 3 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]357072[/snapback]</div>

It's interesting that some of your links are Amsoil sales site. And yes there is always concern about the results in such cases, and yes Amsoil names names and Red Line does not. But what is more interesting is the 4-ball wear test. No other oil company, blender or lab uses either 4-ball test, modified for engine oil or not to point to anything. The big question is what does it mean. It might point to valve train wear, but mayabe not. I do agree with the Amsoil comments about Mobil 1. To compair a good oil like Amsoil with an average oil like Mobil 1 leads to some expected results. The better grades of Amsoil perform well because they put better stuff in the mix. Years ago I tried to buy some of their oil, but the Amsoil dealer got me so confused with his pitch that I passed and have never gone back. Amsoil has been tried in fleet service but they always got tangled up with the dealers and quit. They never left because is was not good oil. I think more of us would be using Amsoil if the marketing was more conventional. Behind it all, Amsoil is a very good oil.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I normally use Mobil 1 0W-30 with good oil analysis results, even at 10,000-11,000 km intervals. Last winter I thought I'd try Mobil 1 0W-20, and the wear results were BETTER than 0W-30.

No difference in highway fuel economy that I could determine, but around 10-15% better city fuel economy in bitter temps. This winter I'm using 0W-20 again, will let you know in Spring what the wear results are. I'm using the dealer parts Toyota/Nippondenso oil filter.

I no longer worry about pushing the interval, based on my used oil analysis. In most of the EU market Toyota has a 12 month/16,000km interval for the Prius.

10. LongRun

LongRun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Dec 3 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]357142[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the info. Are you going to continue 0w-20 in the summer, too?

It seem to me that if ever an application was right for Xw-20 oil, and synthetic, the Prius is it. With frequent starts and stops, and the polar qualities of synthetic base stocks, it looks like a good match.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Dec 4 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]357245[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to continue using 0W-20 year round, but Canadian Tire only carries Mobil 1 5W-20 now. I have enough 0W-20 for another oil change, and if I had to choose, I'd prefer the 0W-20 be saved for winter use.

I agree that with the frequent start/stop cycles in city driving, especially in temps of -20 to -40 C, a synthetic 0W-20 is the Prius best friend.

12. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Dec 3 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]357141[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, while Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline are all 'probably' better synthetic oil than Mobil 1, the difficulty in proving that definitively isn't enough to justify the extra cost for most people. It's similiar to Tupperware kitchen products and Snap-On tools, which are undoubtedly superior to more easily obtainable and much less expensive alternatives.

Advance Auto has the 5-gal jugs of 5w-30 Mobil 1 on sale for $20 through Dec. 27. At a net cost of $4/qt, it's not worth the effort to go to the trouble and expense of using the other, higher quality synthetic oil, particularly in a car like the Prius where the whole idea is for the ICE to operate as little as possible.

13. LongRun

LongRun New Member

Another fleet operator is pulling the plug on Mobil 1 5w-20 and is switching to Motorcraft 5w-20 for all their 5w-20 cars, Hondas and Toyotas. In tests for a year they got equal and sometimes better results and at bulk prices the Motorcraft is less than one third the price, after the Mobil 1 price increase they received last month. They have 11 Prius's and they are all on Motorcraft 5w-20. Their oil change interval is 5k miles because of the extended warranty reqt's. They also like the idea of getting under the hood every 5k miles and they also do tire rotations then, too. Not one of these cars has had an unscheduled maintenance or breakdown. They had to force some of the drivers to take these cars, but after driving them for a few month, the drivers would not give them up when offered the chance to change. I think the Prius gows on you, after just a little while.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Dec 9 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]359873[/snapback]</div>
    By the same example, at my hobby farm I run Esso XD-3 15W-40 summer, and XD-3 0W-30 winter, in my diesel tractor and 1984 Ford F-150 work truck. Esso claims the 0W-30 is synthetic, with far more approvals than Mobil 1, and priced here in Canada 1/2 the cost.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/F..._Xd-3_extra.pdf

About the only hesitation I have to running something like the Esso XD-3 0W-30 year round is that it is a "thick" SAE 30 oil at tested operating temp, so I would expect a small fuel economy hit.

15. LongRun

LongRun New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Dec 10 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]360164[/snapback]</div>

Esso XD-3 is a great oil. It's not available in the US is it? I think it's a thick 30 weight like Castrol Syntec 0w-30 European Formula that's made in Germany. It's a different oil than the other Syntec oils which are Group III based oil vs The Group IV in the German oil. I run the GC 0w-30 in my V8 4Runner. At 100C it's rated at about 12 cSt. with is almost a 40 weight oil.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Not really sure if you can get Esso XD-3 in the U.S. I suppose that would depend on if Exxon and Esso share brands. There is a large Esso bulk distributer just south of the Perimeter on hwy #3 in Oakbluff, I could give him a call tomorrow to ask.

I really wonder if there would be a huge difference in fuel economy anyway - when I compare Mobil 1 0W-30 to Mobil 1 0W-20, I've never had any difference on the highway. In the city, the 0W-20 maybe 5-10% at most.

Last time Mobil published MRV data for their Mobil 1 oils, the 0W-20 was something like 120 Poise at -40 C, the 0W-30 around 160 P. In contrast, the Esso XD-3 0W-30 is rated at 226 P at -40 C. The XD-3 is clearly more viscous at -40.

17. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Dec 9 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]359873[/snapback]</div>
    For a third of the cost, I can see using Motorcraft 5w-20 instead of Mobil 1 5w-20 (particularly in a fleet application).

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LongRun @ Dec 10 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]360187[/snapback]</div>
    I did call the Esso dealer in Oakbluff during lunch, and he claimed it should be available at larger truck stops and Exxon bulk oil dealers. However he was under the impression only the 15W-40 and 10W-30 grades were down there.

Looks like the XD-3 0W-30 and 0W-40 are targeted to the Canadian market only

jay