1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

6,000k Headlights and Fog Lights - DONE (With pics)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PhazonPhobe, Jan 12, 2011.

1. PhazonPhobe

PhazonPhobe His name is Sora

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright, I'm posting these because I said I would once they came in.

Drove down to Huntington Beach and got my 6,000k 35w kit from DDM Tuning for my fog lights Monday afternoon. I ordered my Phillips OEM 6,000k bulbs from eBay. Those came in mid-tuesday (yesterday). Installed everything yesterday afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Driver side done

[​IMG]
    <--- 6,000k
    ---> OEM 4,300k

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All 4 done

[​IMG]
    Outside view

It's really very difficult to capture the beauty of them at night. My iPhone 4's camera can only soak in so much.

2 people like this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for posting your results. I'm glad you didn't run into any hassles and are happy with the results. :)

Looking at the pictures I am starting to think maybe the 6000k might be too blue for what I want. I had them on my GMC and Chevy truck and I remembered them being more white than blue. Do they seem more blue to you as well or is this due to the camera?

3. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like on the 2nd to last picture? I don't know why they look so blue in that picture.

Or on the wall where the light was hitting? Don't know why it looks so blue there, but the OEM ones actually looked pink versus the 6,000k's which looked more like a truer white.

They really turned out exactly how I want.

The only little snag I ran into was with the ballast. You have to plug it into OEM male plug backwards from what you would think. You have to put it opposite from the clippy thing. It's kind of hard to describe, but if you end up doing it, you'll see what I mean.

And generally speaking, the 6,000's do look a bit more blue than the 4,300, but o m g, there's a HUGE difference on the road. And because it was already manufactured to have HIDs, I don't have the same problem with my Eclipse where the lights go straight out and into the eyes of oncoming drivers. These actually hit the road in front of me. But of course, you can still turn on your brights and point the lights straight out, blinding everyone in a 1 mile radius. xD

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In pretty much all the pictures the light looked pretty blue. If it is not that blue in person then they may be exactly what I am looking for which is a vrey bright white light with a hint of blue.

So the new bulbs are much brighter than the stock HIDs? Is this because the white light appears brighter or are you actually able to see better at night (distance, side vision etc.)?

I'm really considering doing this mod sooner rather than later since my night vision isn't the best. :)

5. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm almost certain this is what you're looking for.

They are very white with a hint of blue, but not to the point where the blue doesn't light anything.

I can definitely see a lot better at night. Distance, side view, everything.

I'm completely happy with my install.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the OEM ones colour shift? They look purplish. I thought it takes longer than that (I've seen 1999 and older TLs with multi-reflector type OEM HIDs and those that still have the originals are noticeably light purple)

7. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They did have a slight purplish-pink tint to them when you looked at the actual light housing. When they hit the street, they looked more whiteish-yellow than anything. But like in the picture of the two different ones hitting the wall, they looked a lot more pink than the new 6,000's.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm ok thanks! New to the HID scene (I have MobileHID's 5,000K installed)

9. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those don't have the blue-ish tint like the 6,000's right? 5,000 is a lot closer to pure white?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah no bluish tint as far as I can see.

11. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see I see. Yeah, I wanted to go a bit bluer, but with my poor sight at night, I need all the brightness I can get. 6,000 seemed to be the compromise. Any lower in Kelvin and the blue would go away. Any higher and it's too blue, diminishing the lighting qualities.

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always thought 6000k was too blue for my tastes. This thread basically confirms that for me, but it certainly looks better than stock 4300k. Good choice going with Philips brand HID bulbs. If my headlights ever go out I'll go for the Phillips 5000k.

I think more important than the color temp of the bulb is the projector itself. I always thought the Prius' HID projectors and housing were a little funky. Don't get me wrong -- I love that the Prius, being an economy car, comes with HIDs. But it's projection is washed out and indirect because the light bounces all around the housing. It's nowhere near as direct as say the TSX, which in my opinion has the best looking HIDs (you can see a rainbow on the ends of its rays).

So to me, adding 5/6000k on a Prius looks very aftermarket-ish, because we can't do anything to change the stock projection system.

13. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't know too much about the TSX. To be honest I don't much like Acuras, or Hondas in general.

But I can say this, the Prius' system is MUCH better than my previous vehicle with HIDs, a 2002 Eclipse Spyder. I think it might be because it wasn't designed to have HIDs, but rather regular halogens(?). When I had my HIDs installed on that, I didn't see much light on the road, but I could light up signs for miles.

I'd be curious to see what 5,000k looks like. I personally prefer the blue look. The pure white does look pretty clean, and I wouldn't mind it, but blue is my personal preference.

Next thing I need to do is get me a set of DRLs to put in the grill.

14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool dude. I didn't mean to compare the Prius HIDs to aftermarket kits, just other OEM kits. Aftermarket HIDs are never as good as OEM HIDs, so I'm not surprised to hear about your Spyder.

Anyways, I don't know where I was going with that. It was just on my mind.

15. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    -shrug-

I suppose you can't expect too much out of one of Toyota's mid-ranged cars. The Acura TSX is basically Honda's Lexus IS. There's a reason they're so good.

Then of course there's BMW projectors....delicious.

I try not to complain too much. A 20 year old driving a Prius is already unheard of.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I debated between 4,300 and 6,000... then I came across 5,000 and thought "ahh well, it's a good compromise" lol. The projectors on the 2010 is a lot better, however (just comparing our 2005 with halogens vs. the 2010 with halogens.

I found the 2010's projector headlights to be quite good (esp. compared to the multi-reflector housing of the old Prius)

17. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For sure. I was talking about the gen ii prius projectors.

18. Lamboalex

Lamboalex Hyper-Miler in training

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you post a link to the fog lights, I'd love to make them match the oem HIDs

19. PhazonPhobe

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like they just lowered the price on them too. I paid $40 for mine.

I got mine in the 6,000k, but there are all kinds of light temperatures to choose from.

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    But the Gen II didn't have projectors? The factory HIDs were still running off a multi-reflector design