1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60,000 Mile Maintenance Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bigj3347, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey Everyone,

My Prius is fast approaching its 60,000 mile mark and according to my dealer's service guideline, it's time for a major tune up. I change my own oil and filters every 5k miles and use Mobil1 5W-30 synthetic since the first oil change.

My question is twofold. First of all, is it necessary to spend approximately $350 on a major tune up? The manual says they'll do a multi-point inspection, top off all fluids, rotate tires, inspect brakes, change the oil and so on and so forth. Second of all, should I start 10,000 mile oil change intervals after the 60,000 mile mark?

I'm no auto mechanic, I don't know how to inspect brakes or stuff like that. I learned how to change my own oil from the how-to guide on this forum and that's about the extent of my oil change knowledge. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tuneup is basically install new spark plugs so change them yourself. Use the specified plugs for another 60k miles service. Give the car a birthday with a new air filter too even if it looks good. If it's original it is likely to have small holes letting dirt in. And if it hasn't been replaced a new drive belt for the water pump. Again, cheap insurance.

Why increase oil change intervals when the engine is more worn than it was last oil change, stick with 5000 miles after all if you do it yourself it's cheap insurance.

A lot has been said for changing trans fluid at or before 60k miles, again I think a good idea. Only use the specified oil. I would also change coolant and brake fluid, best done by the dealer because bleeding either system can be tricky.

Don't neglect tyre rotation, tyre pressures and check brakes, exhaust and suspension for wear cracks and corrosion. Don't forget to check the spare.
    Finish by cleaning the windscreen, check the wipers, top up washer fluid and recheck wheel nuts are tight when the car is on the ground.

This is off the top of my head so may not be complete.

Oh you may want to clean the throttle body and butterfly.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Read the Sticky on "What you Need". It contains good advice. I would add a Transmission Fluid drain and refill at 60,000 miles. It is likely that your brakes are in good shape as your Prius seldom uses them so get a second opinion if the dealer says that you need new brakes.

JeffD

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A dealer's maintenance guide is designed to make money for the dealer. You should instead tell the service writer to perform exactly the items shown in the Prius-specific scheduled maintenance guide that came with the car. Take the guide with you so that (1) you can show those items to the writer and (2) have them stamp that page when the service is done.

Galaxee's advice comes from the experience of a Prius-certified mechanic so it is worth attending to.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    John, I did not see a CVT fluid change. What are your views on this? Waiting for 100K?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since the audience I consider my data for is more-so the joe-consumer type person as opposed to an enthusiast, I tend to stick to the book. That being said, I'm still not waiting too long. There is no compelling data stating sooner provides a benefit though. Those closely monitoring oil routinely state how easy Prius is on the engine. And we know how less taxing the Planetary system is than a traditional automatic. So, I've been at a lost.

All that has got me thinking 95K.

That's the arrival of spring for me and distance enough from the recent comprehensive service not to obscure performance observations. Note that I'm well into grille-blocking data collection currently.

Is that wise? Don't know. Let's see what the feedback provides...

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks John, that sounds reasonable. I just passed 60K and will probably wait till closer to 100K. I really appreicate all of the great information that you provide this group and on your site.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    John,

I've been part of a group doing ATF testing. We still only have preliminary info on 2004+ Type WS, but there is some indication of degredation of the ATF by 60k miles. My 2004 will hit 120k miles this spring and we'll see how my second ATF testing looks at that time.

A SMALL number of "Tranny" failures have been reported in Classic Prii at around 100k miles (see discussions in the Yahoo Groups - Prius_Technical_Stuff). The most common is winding shorts in the motor/generators with a couple of bearing problems as well (The bearings were improved in the 2004+ PSDs). There is some concern that a build up of metallic particles in the ATF is a possible contributer to the premature winding failures.

JeffD

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are the windings directly exposed to the ATF?

11. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Although there is a plastic that holds the windings fixed, the windings are exposed directly to the oil. One of the changes from the NHW10 to the NHW11 was elimination of internal seals that kept the ATF apart from the stator windings. The lower 1/3d of the stators are in the ATF oil bath, which helps take away the heat.

Bob Wilson

eye144 likes this.