1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60 mpg pickup truck

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rpmx1000, Feb 25, 2006.

1. rpmx1000

rpmx1000 New Member

This is great news for the green car crowd. Ford has developed a hydraulic hybrid F150 truck that gets 60 mpg city. This technology can be used in many applictions such as pickup trucks, large suvs, UPS delivery trucks, and even garbage trucks. Projected launch date is August 2008.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/60_mpg_ford_f15.php

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I'm all for more efficient pickup trucks. But 60 mpg? I'm from Missouri on this one... SHOW ME. ;)

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's one thing to "claim it", but I believe it when it's tested by an independant lab - I'm not exactly holding my breath over this one...

"If it seems too good to be true, it probably is..."

Dave

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nope. Don't believe it. If they can develop a hydraulic storage system that's more efficient than batteries, they'd get some significant improvement over gas-electric hybrids. But that's too high a figure for me to credit. And since it's Ford, it probably won't work anyway.

Can a hydraulic system store more energy than a battery of similar weight? And would its internal losses be greater or lesser than a battery?

You know what I think? I think all the car companies are looking for ways to improve mileage. Some of the projects are big and serious, some are small early investigations. I think some reporter talked to some engineer, got him to throw out some wild numbers, misunderstood at least half of what the engineer said, invented a bit to make a good story out of it, and then published it.

5. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I read that 36% efficiency is almost the figure Toyota quotes for the Prius II's full regenerative cycle.

If the hydralics gets rid of the all the energy lost in these 4 steps:

-Kinetic energy is transformed into electrical energy in a motor/generator
    -Then the electrical energy is transformed into chemical energy as the battery charges up
    -Later the battery discharges, transforming chemical into electrical energy
    -Finally, the electrical energy passes into the motor/generator acting as a motor and is transformed once more into kinetic energy

Then you get almost triple the efficiency. 2.7 times the efficiency, if it's 100% efficient, anyway.

Bibliography: hybridcars.com

6. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Instead you get energy losses from the hydraulic pump, the loss due to the lines, the energy loss from the heat in the working gas of the accumulator (probably air) etc. There ain't no free lunch, no matter how you choose to store your kinetic energy. If hydraulic power were that much more efficient we'd all be using it in a lot more applications.

7. jeneric

jeneric New Member

There oughta be a law...

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is a law. Actually, three of them: the laws of thermodynamics.

You can't move heat from a cooler to a hotter
    You can try it if you like but you far better not-er
    'because the heat in the cooler will get hotter as a rule-er
    And that's a physical law!

Work is heat and work's a curse
    And all the heat in the universe
    Is gonna cool down 'because it can't increase
    And there'll be no more work
    And there'll be perfect peace.

That's entropy, man!

(From a song by Flaunders & Swan
    quoted from memory.)