1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

600 miles between fill-ups...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bshef, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did Toyota increase the gas tank size?
    Heard this "600 mile per tank" on a radio commercial this morning while driving my 2005 Prius to work.

I've religiously written down all numbers I get at every fill-up since tank #1 and have never seen 600 miles.
    Lately, (last 4 tankfulls), I'm avg 52 mpg.
    I'm pretty well-versed in the techniques used to maximize economy but Puh-leeeeeez......600 miles a tank.
    bah! :blink:

[​IMG]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our brochure said >800kms a tank.

If the bladder wasn't there, we can easily break 900kms and achieve 1000kms per tank.

So no they're not lying, it is possible with the full 45 litres, but it's just the bladder that disallow us.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did they say you could expect 600 miles, or just that it was possible. IMHO, to suggest it's expected is a bit misleading. I've gotten a few 600 mile tanks, but only through applying "hypermiling" techniques. I don't think the typical driver applying ordinary driving techniques can expect it (as you've also suggested).

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 20 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]426821[/snapback]</div>
    If you could pick the right route, and it were long enough to get the car warmed up and then running an hour at a time after that under ideal conditions, you probably could get 600 miles on 10 gallons. i.e., almost perfectly level ground, never have to stop at all, etc.

I've never found anything like that I could actually drive on. Maybe if you could find a race track with no one else on it, you could do it.

Dave M.

5. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I earned multiple 600+ mile tanks with my 2005 and warm ambient air temperatures. I'm still "breaking in" my 2007 and don't expect to see 600+ mile tanks until 20,000 mi (currently at 7100 mi).

6. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

I've broken 600 miles a tank on my 2002 Prius a few times. Don't get me wrong, I do hypermile, but I also hit about every freaking light in Lilburn. Lilburn is slightly northeast of Atlanta. I swear that they time all the lights so that you'll hit every one of them. They always change right when I get to it. It's like if I hit 1 I hit them all.

Anyways, I also usually travel less than 30 minutes at a time. Right now I'm getting 61.4 MPG on this tank. I'm not the best at hypermiling by far. Just about the only thing I really do to hypermile is to coast to a stop when needed, like lights and stop signs. Other than that I use my electric motor to coast at the speed limit as much as possible. Ohh, I can't forget that's it's hilly as hell around here. I'd say it's about as hilly as San Fransisco. They aren't as steep, but we've got just as many.

If I had a decently flat surface and even fairly timed lights I could probably manage 70 MPG in my car.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, since my Add Fuel light starts flashing before I've used 8 gallons, it would be a pretty darned good hypermiling run to reach 600 miles.

8. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 21 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]427303[/snapback]</div>
    Good point!
    And Thanks for validating what I experience with my mileage and what I thought was correct!

So, for that radio spots claim of 600 miles between fill-ups to be correct you'd have to typically run your bladder til empty each tank. You would also probably be getting lots of nasty looks from lots of drivers around you due to the fact you're driving probably no faster then 35 mph everywhere you go.

9. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

Toyota is wisely getting every last mile (pun intended) out of 60 mpg before the 2008 EPA mileage calculation guidelines take effect.

Look for VW (TDI) and Honda to be doing the same in short order.

10. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

One tank and 600 miles is possible but only with ideal conditions and using hypermile techniques.
    In my 2004 Prius last summer both occurred when I obtained two consecutive 700 miles plus tanks.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Apr 21 2007, 11:45 PM) [snapback]427650[/snapback]</div>
    To get 600 miles to a tank you have to use a full tank of gas. Well, imagine that! If your driving habits include full speed approaches to red lights, jackrabbit starts from said lights, and cruising the Interstates at the speed limit +20mph then no, you won't get 600 miles on a tank.

I will be the guy on the highway in the right lane coasting to the red light. You may have the honor of getting there before me. I will wait an extra second or two and pull out comparatively slowly when the light changes. You may have the honor of beating me off the line and if someone runs their red light you will also have a witness. I may even call 911 for you.

If you want to speed, be my guest. Should you trip the speed trap please pull onto the shoulder behind me.

Right now I have 536 miles on the tank and 1 pip left. Can I make 600 miles on it? Maybe. Am I going to? No. I'll fill up tomorrow.

Signed,
    The guy keeping up with traffic in the right lane.

12. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 24 2007, 10:01 PM) [snapback]429459[/snapback]</div>
    It does depend on what a "Full" tank of gas for you is though doesn't it.

For those of us who have less than 8 usable gallons, it's a bit problematic even with your self congratulatory approach there.

Don't strain anything patting yourself on the back though. That could be painful.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like Tempus stated above..

Many of us never get more than 8ga of gas into the tank. My usual fillup is 7-8ga and that is when I get down to 1-2pips. I never wait for the dummy light to come on.

So for me I generally see about 340-380 miles before I have to fill up again.

I think once since I've owned the car I've got more than 8ga in the tank and that was on a hot summer day and the dummy light was on. I know I was in the 400+ mile mark but not much.

14. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it is neat to try to get 600 miles to a tank, but why? When I get down to one or two bars I fill up. no big deal. I am happy getting in the low 50MPG range. I do not ever recall running out of fuel with any car I have owned and I don't want to start now.

15. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 25 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]430254[/snapback]</div>
    Right now I'm at a little over 400 miles, with 2 pips left. I've been seeing the highest mileage (56+ mpg) I've ever gotten over this much distance. However, I'd still be surprised to get over 500 miles out of this tank.

Dave M.

16. ozyran

ozyran New Member

Wow...I've barely been able to hit 370 miles on my first tank, with 2 pips left, in our '02 Prius...we've got A LOT of hills around here, and I'm still new to this car.

I can't help but wonder, though, is that the best I can expect on hilly terrain?

I'm not complaining, I just want to have realistic expectations. Obviously I'm not going to get great mileage when the car has to climb all these stinkin' hills all the time, but I do want to make sure I don't need to check something out.

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Apr 26 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]430499[/snapback]</div>
    With that milage and 2 pips you could probably get close but it's not worth the risk of running out. lol Congrats on the awesome milage! Best I get is 48mpg on a tank unless I get lucky and drive where there are speed limits of 55mph and lower. :)

18. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The best I've managed to pull off is 543mi on a tank. The petrol pump usually kicks out around 8.0-8.5 gallons so I gingerly try to get it up to 9.0 gal. I rarely get more than that in unless it's a hot summer day.

19. powphilprius

powphilprius Elshawno~

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got one 500er, 46mpg at mostly 80mph. Filled up at 11gal. Owners manual says 11.8 gallon tank, or is it 11.2. Any way that was close enough, usually fill up at 4-5 hundred or sooner, what with gas everywhere. Having depleted the tank once I use a rule of 70 more miles is safe after empty signal, but I wouldn't recomend it.

20. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ Apr 27 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]431469[/snapback]</div>

Stick with us and search the PC forums, and you'll find tips for optimizing mileage, many of which will help on any type of terrain. Here's a good starting point.

The '02 probably won't do quite as well as '04 and later. There were some improvements to the design of the hybrid system in '04.