1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60k dealer service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by flyboy09, Mar 20, 2008.

1. flyboy09

flyboy09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    would $570.00 be a fair price for 60k service on a 2005 prius?... my wife thinks this is too much to pay the dealer. just wondering also if something mysteriously will cause a more expensive repair in the future if the 60k is not done???:confused:

2. svbb

svbb New Member

I just paid $350 for my 30,000 mile service. You might call another dealer and see what their price is for the service. The first question: Is this service the Toyota Scheduled Maintenance, or is it the "Dealer Recommended?"

My dealer adds all kinds of additives (BG products, synthetic motor oil, etc), that add about $50 to the price of a regular oil change.

I know that lots of people will disagree with me, but my opinion is that I will have the longest life from my car by following the Manufacturer Recommended Maintenance Schedule and by having the maintenance performed at the dealer.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you handy? Me @ 60K would change out the transaxle fluid for sure. Just did it myself and its pretty easy. Takes 3.8 quarts of Toy WS. Open up the rad cap not overflow and look at the coolant. Is it clear & bright red? If not let the dealer do that change. Change the air & cabin filter. And again if me I would pull the plugs, clean them check gap and put anti-seize on them.Letting plugs sit in a head for 100K before breaking them out is just nutty. Maybe a tire rotate but thats about it I bet.Brakes go crazy long on our car before re-pad unless your having brake problems. Good luck.

4. flyboy09

flyboy09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just found the maintenance log 2005 pruis....looks like engine oil and filter, rotate tires, cabin air filter, engine air filter, ....inspect the following..atf fluit ball joints and dust covers brake lines hoses etc for brakes, diff oil drive belts shaft boots engine and inverter coolant engine valve clearance exaust pipes fuel lines etc fuel tank cap gasket radiator condenser and intercooler steering box and linkage...:confused:

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $570 is pretty pricey. *Don't* ask a dealer for "their X miles service". They'll charge you for a buncha stuff that the Prius does not need, or indeed cannot even be performed on a Prius. Instead take the scheduled maintenance guide that came with your Prius and show the X miles page to the service writer. Tell them to perform those items only, no more and no less, and see what that will cost. For X=60,000 I'd bet you could get it for $300 or so.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Wow! Some of your are way over spending, AND over doing maintenance, according to a certified prius tech, that did a nice write up on necessary maintenance, under the maintenance threads. Read up, and save, folks.