1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60K maintenance - what is needed

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Service Bulletins - TSBs' started by chimohio, Aug 8, 2009.

1. chimohio

chimohio New Member

I am almost at 60000 miles on my 06 Prius. According to the maintenance schedule most of the requirements (other than oil and cabin air/engine air filter replacements) are inspections:

[​IMG] Automatic transmission fluid [​IMG] Ball joints and dust covers [​IMG] Brake lines and hoses [​IMG] Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4 [​IMG] Differential oil [​IMG] Drive belts 5 [​IMG] Drive shaft boots [​IMG] Engine and inverter coolant 3 [​IMG] Engine valve clearance [​IMG] Exhaust pipes and mountings [​IMG] Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses [​IMG] Fuel tank cap gasket [​IMG] Radiator, condenser and intercooler [​IMG] Steering gear box [​IMG] Steering linkage and boots

The dealer I go to seems to indicate that all the fluids need to be replaced (transmission, differential, engine and inverter) in addition to the other inspections.

I have not had any problems with the car.

What is really needed to be done at 60000 miles???

5 pm - found the answer I was looking for in a different thread.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's my suggested list, assuming that the car has no driveability symptoms or warning lights and is not producing unusual noises:

- replace engine oil and oil filter
    - replace cabin air filter
    - replace transaxle fluid (note that transmission and differential fluid are one and the same in the case of Prius, and are aka transaxle fluid.)
    - inspect flexible brake lines and brake pads/shoes for safety reasons
    - inspect driveshaft boots to make sure no grease is leaking out of the boots

The other inspections are optional. Note that there is no such thing as an intercooler (Prius does not have a supercharger.)

1 person likes this.
  3. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

It sounds like your dealer is trying to make an extra buck banking that you won't look at your maintenance recommendations in your owners manual or online at the Toyota website.

Other than standard oil changes and inspections you shouldn't have to do anything at 60K. The inverter and engine coolant should be good to go for 100K. As for transmission fluid there is no recommended change suggested up to 120K (unless you have been towing with your Prius).

btw: the dealer will charge you 300-500 for all the extra fluid changes he wants to do.

Best of Luck!

4. Starky

Starky Prius fan

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A little late for getting into this thread but Canadian Prius require transaxle oil change at 60,000 miles (96.000 Km). Don't you think it is a cheap insurance for the tranaxle?

Regards,

5. uddinsamsu

uddinsamsu New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know how or if you can change the language display on the multidisplay monitor on a 2003 imported Prius from japanese to english

6. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius