1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60k maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rollingm, Oct 21, 2007.

1. rollingm

rollingm Junior Member

I am at 60k and in the scheduled maintenance quide that came with my 2005 prius under "inspect the following" is -Engine Valve clearance. My local Toyota service man says they don't do this so I wondered what you all have done. Thanks Mike

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    at 60k, that's really not necessary. maybe at 100k it's worth checking... or if you're going to have the valve cover off for any reason. these are fixed-bucket adjusters, they shouldn't go out of adjustment really, especially not at 60k.

the price of such a job would be insane anyway... remove valve cover, remove cam (remove timing chain, which involves some serious disassembly of the engine), plus all the measuring/checking, plus the seals to put it back together... yeah... basically, don't worry about it.

3. rollingm

rollingm Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 21 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]528624[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks I am used to doing valve adjustments on motorcycle's etc and I would like to skip doing this or paying for it. I was under the impression that valves wearing at the seat cause the adjustment to tighten up as opposed to getting looser and louder. Another question? I have seen other posts that call for changing the PCV valve at 60K and removing the spark plugs to lube the threads. Neither of these is listed in the maintenance guide but would you recommend doing these? Thanks Mike

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PCV is a cheap, easy maintenance item that can prevent future problems. that's worth it.

spark plug threads... opinion based on experience here... never had any issues getting those out with a makita handheld on any toyota.