1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60k Miles Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DPIStorm, Dec 24, 2007.

1. DPIStorm

DPIStorm New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone have a quick list of what should be done at 60K miles?

My 2005 just hit 60k, and the dealer gave me a laundry list of things (without looking at the car) to be done, but I don't believe he's being truthful.

What does the manual recommend? Anyone have a list handy?

Thanks

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If you'd check under "Care Maintenance Troubleshooting" you'd find the stickey to steer you into saving a ton ... for example, DON'T let them crack into the motor to 'adjust' the timing belt. Well, I don't want to spoil the whole thread :p

4. harper42

harper42 Member

I have the same question. I went to the sticky, What must be done, and I'm still just as confused, as I know so little about cars, warranties, etc..

I called to schedule regular 60K service. It was going to take 4 to 5 hours, cost $445. Then he read off the list of recommended inspections, etc, that would be done. I asked what exactly MUST be done to not void the warranty or anything. He said Oil Change and Tire rotation. What I'm wondering though: What if I start having a problem with a warrantied part in the near future? Are they going to not cover it, because I didn't have it inspected and taken care of at my scheduled servicing?

Can someone tell me: other than the oil and rotation, are there any critical things I really SHOULD have them do? Thanks so much for your help.!!

5. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What I can think of right now is to change your Transmission/transaxle fluid. Check brake pads and clean drum brake. Replace engine air filter and cabin filter. Check suspension parts in front...tie rod, ball joint, boot...if damaged...replace. Serpentine belt may last up to 100K (I think)...manual should be your best resource.

6. harper42

harper42 Member

OK, from what I've read here and on the sticky: Do the standard oil change, tire rotation, check rods, links, ball joints. And maybe change pcv valve. Some say yes, some say no... going Monday to have it done, and I think my dealer charges pretty high.

7. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    harper42 & DPIStorm,

Let the dealer do your oil/oil filter chg & tire rotation if you don't feel up to it yourself, but do your own engine air filter & cabin air filter (behind the lower glove box) replacements yourself [these are real easy & quick & will save you a lot over what the dealer would charge you---instructions for the cabin air filter are elsewhere on this site (basically empty lower glove box, pop off the spring tube on the right side of glove box, squeeze the sides of glove box to release catches, just pull the tabs at the outside edges of the white/gray filter housing & slide out the tray with the filter in it, remove the old filter & replace with the new one, then reverse the steps)].

Letting them clean the rear drum brakes is a good idea as some have had minor problems because of the dirt/brake dust buildup inside them. Regarding the transmission/transaxle fluid, do NOT let them do (or charge you for) a transmission flush. There are no passageways inside your PSD (transmission) to build up with sludge. It's just internal parts getting "bath lubed" (by moving in the pan reservoir) or "splash lubed". Just ask for a simple drain & refill (with 4 qts of WS transmission oil) which should only cost about $85 (way less than a flush which they may want $135 to $150 for). I would also recommend that you have them only remove (NOT replace) the spark plugs to apply some anti-seize compound to the threads. The plugs are supposed to be good for 100,000 miles, but some have found them frozen into the block if they waited until 100,000 miles to remove them.

And, harper42, unless you bought an extended warranty, there is nothing to worry about not being covered if you don't do the dealer's laundry list of services because your basic warranty was gone after 36,000 miles & your drive train warranty will be all gone in a few days (if it isn't already). The only things still under warranty are "rust through" [until 5 years from your in-service date (not necessarily your delivery date, since dealers sometimes record the in-service date as a different date with Toyota to help make up their monthly sales quotas) & there's nothing the dealer could or couldn't do in the way of maintenance to affect that] & your hybrid components which are covered for 8 yrs/100,000 miles [or 10 yrs/150,000 miles in the Calif emissions states (CA, NY, NJ, MA, CT, RI, VT, NH, & ME)].

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

8. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    look in the book. You don't need much

I would have them check the inverter and coolant and maybe replace that.

it won't hurt to have the trans fluid changed either. Some say it's a good idea at 60k. Although it's rated to 100k the fluid is the same stuff they put in The tundra pick up's.

oil, filter, air filter, cabin air filter maybe.

thats about it. and this is over board.

if you drive in extreme area or ruff roads alot, probably good idea to have them check steerting linkages, bolts etc.

oh have them check the waterpump dealo. That is a weak point in prius and they have been known to just fail out of the blue.