1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

60mpg in Chicago weather!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tree Hugger, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Tree Hugger

Tree Hugger New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm well on my way to getting a 60+ mpg tank!!

I can't believe this! Since I've been driving this car I've been averaging high 30s or low 40s at BEST. The best mpg I ever had was on the highway from my house to Chicago, where thanks to a lot of stop and go traffic, I was able to get it up to 50mpg average, but only for ~30 miles.

Well I put an air block on the front of the car, inflating the tires to 45psi, and made a set of aerodynamic wheel covers, so I decided to test them out. I was driving around yesterday, and had a 67mpg average when I got to my girlfriend's house:eek: Then with her in the car (I didn't want to make her experience TOO much fun with the way I drive;)) after about 40 miles or so, I was averaging 62.5mpg. And if I needed another reason to realize how rediculously some people out there drive, I had to follow her sister's boyfriend out to a resturant we were going to, and following him killed my mileage (went down to ~52mpg :() After coming back home this morning I was able to get it back up to 57mpg average. So I'm very confident with not having to follow anyone any time soon, I'll be able to keep it up into the 60s for the rest of the winter... I don't even want to know what I'll be getting when it gets nice out:D Anyways, my girlfriend kept on telling me how excited I was yesterday, and what a great mood I was in. I must say I blame it on the mileage and going to the Farmer's Market. Oh, that's another great story, but that one I'll save for another day.

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Treehugger,

Congradulations. I was at 53.0 mpg when I finished the work week driving on friday. And the weekend errands dropped me down to 49.8. Lots of short trips, no cruising. I did put in 100 mpg bars though. After the oil change I went out to a grocery store across town. After a quick warmup (I ran the car around to get the oil warm before the change), the car was in full hybrid mode, and with a slight down hill route, and one stop sign, I was in glide for about 3 miles.

Most of the change was probably the grill blocking. The hub caps are probably contributing a little though. And, you probably wont have to do the neutral brake routine tomorrow morning after all the rain today. As there will be little rust on your rotors.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That would be most excellent if you can beat 60+MPG so early in the year. This should be the first year where I keep it above 50MPG through the winter.

I use 20F as my tipping point. Above that temp I can usually get commutes averaging mileage above 55MPG. Below that and there's little/no hope.

Last year, I had twelve tanks at 60+ with six at 65+ and this year I'm hoping to improve on that. I would like to achieve my first 60+ tank in late March or April rather than May, like last year.

4. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's great. I went out for a rainy Sunday drive today just to get out of the house, drove 43 miles and it indicated 51.2MPG.

It was really windy out today and I could feel it as I was driving into the wind. I'm also really thinking there is something to this grill blocking. I've been thinking of doing this for a while now... :)

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tree Hugger, congratulations. Get a GPS unit so you won't have to follow anyone. I'm averaging 51+ mpg this winter with the grill blocked.

6. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yesterday, I went from Elkhart, IN to Oak Creek, WI and averaged 65.4 on the trip up and, thanks to the "parking lot effect":D of Chicago on the way back, I had 69.5. Temps going up ranged from 9F to a low of 5F in the Wadsworth area. On the way back I had a headwind and temps were 36F when I started and dropped to 25F by the time I got home.

7. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sigh. I am getting 30 mpg (short trips, winter).

8. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    TreeHugger, can you describe the aerodynamic wheel covers?

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius