1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

644 miles on my last tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by troe, Jun 28, 2006.

1. troe

troe New Member

I have had my Prius for a couple of months now and have been slowly learning to get better economy from it by following the topics in Priuschat. Just filled up after 644 miles on the tank, 10.5 gal., 61 MPG. This car is so fun ot own :D

[​IMG]

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very nice. I've never squeezed that many miles out of a tank, but then I've never gotten more than 9.4gallons on a fill up and am too chicken to push it more than about 50 miles after that last pip starts flashing. Guess I'm going to just have to gamble one day and see if I can squeeze out a 700 mile tank.

I'm currently showing 61.5mpg at 378 miles, but only have 3 pips left, so I'll probably be at around 500 when that last one starts blinking. I KNOW I'll have plenty of gas to hit 600, but I just don't know if I can stand to push 100 miles on a blinking pip....

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang! Congrats on the mileage!

I'm currently on my best tank ever. MFD shows 4.2L/100km (56mpg) and just got bumped from 4.1 :(. I'm ~250kms into the tank and still have 8 bars left!

4. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcflorida @ Jun 28 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]277982[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't get a blinking pip until 5 miles before the fill-up, so I didn't push it too hard either. Hope I can get the 700 mile tank by the end of the summer.

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am impressed. Very impressed. Around here there are simply too many rolling hills that prevent me from attaining those kind of numbers. But I also must admit I am quite happy with getting anything more than 50 mpg. And recently due to the warmer weather I have been getting those numbers. What a joy this car is.

And just think years from now we all will be looking back and thinking to ourselves "and we only got 50mpg those days?" The push is on for ever increasing mileage results. Hopefully the market place will "get it" and start to use this technology in vastly increased numbers. I heard once that if everyone who needed to replace their old cars with a Prius our country would no longer be dependant on foreign oil. I realize that is a difficult goal to attain as people with large families need larger vans and trucks for their business needs. But as people ask me about my Prius they are certainly getting the idea they need to check them out for themselves. I just keep on telling them about my $18 to $24 gas tank fill-ups. :)

Keep on sharing these stories but don't get stranded somewhere without an escape route. hehe

Cheers

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 28 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]278096[/snapback]</div>
    I don't buy that. The hills here in the SW Missouri Ozarks are as rolling as anywhere. Make them your friend and take advantage of gliding and hyperstealth gliding. Take advantage of lesser used rural roads with fewer stops and less traffic. Like I say, I'm getting 61.5 this tank so far. Barring any issues with multiple very short trips or freeway driving before the next fill-up I should finish over 60mpg this tank.

7. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

Nice job everyone! Unfortunately here in Southern California I'm averaging 46-48 MPG for all my tanks. But I weigh 230 lbs and have a heavy bolt on hitch receiver and heavy duty floor mats and this and that. So it's hard to get higher than 50 MPG.

8. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tigerops @ Jun 28 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]278115[/snapback]</div>
    So how about what's your total miles per tank? I think I'm averaging closer to 550 miles per tank now, and had gotten over 610mi before when cruising at 55mph.

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that I might hate you. Let's see. Florida, I lived there for 2 years, it was hot and flat. I have hills. I have a marine climate with lower temperatures and well less humidity. Come to think of it I don't hate you I have high temperatures and high humidity. Congratulations on the tank and for tolerating the climate! I will trade MPG for comfort. It got to 90 here with low humidity and it was awful, I was in pain, where is the air-conditioning? I am glad the high today was in the 70's now that is nice.