1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$69.95 for an oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Brenna, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Brenna

Brenna Junior Member

Need feedback.

My beloved prius is almost ready for the 5k service. This is my first dealership service as my old car went to jiffy lube.

I called the closest toyota dealership (Glendora Toyota in CA) and was quoted $69.95 for the 5k service. When I asked why the cost was so much more that jiffy lube, they said it is important to use toyota parts and have certified technicians.

So, Prius experts, are they overcharging or is this standard?

Thanks, Brenna

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ask them how much for an Oil Change period!! Forget about the 5k service. If they won't just change your oil and you liked your old Jiffy Lube place go talk to the Jiffy Lube mgr. and ask how familiar they are with the Prius ( oil overfill ect.) and see if you think they are capable of doing your oil change. As an aside to Danny or Doc. maybe we should come up with somekind of oil change checklist with all the pertinant info a place like Jiffy Lube should have to we have something we can print out and take with us to the quick Lube places.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It may also include a wheel rotation, but still shouldn't cost $69.95. My dealer quoted me $59 to include oil change, tire rotation, and rear brake clean and adjust.
    Since Prius don't use conventional brakes nearly as much, I declined. Quite frankly, if they are already taking off the rear wheels for the rotation, how much more does it take to take off the drum and vacuum? Brakes are self adjusting, so there's not much point in that, other than get it close.

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When we bought our 2005 from Nanaimo Toyota Sept 30 at MSRP we were given 4 free oil changes and thought this was a Toyota policy. Obviously not. Should be good for a couple of years... almost.... the way we drive.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you ask them "how high is the sky" they get to pick any number they want. You need to be specific.

" I'm Jane Doe. I'm bringing in my 2004 Prius for a 5k mile oil change and tire rotation and will be bringing my own Mobil 1 oil. How much do you charge to change the oil, using my oil and to rotate the tires?"

You should get a number in the $20-30 range. There's no reason Jiffy Lube shouldn't be able to do this service for you if the Toyota place won't step to the plate for a fair price. You'll just need to make sure they know not to over fill the oil. All else is standard stuff.

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I just got an "oil change only" at a local Toyota dealer; however, they also did a "Courtesy Maintenance Inspection" (unasked), which looks like what you'd expect at a 5K inspection.

Total was $36; I was impressed with their courtesy, and they got the oil change just right -- no overfill. In Seattle, that seems like a pretty fair price (to me, anyway.)

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tustin Toyota in Tustin, CA is $54.95 for the 5k, or $24.95 for just an oil change.

The 5k includes tire rotation, brake inspection/adjustement (my parking brake usually feels stiffer after), as well as an "inspection". I'm sure it's highly padded, especially in the case of the Prius, however I noted that if I did a oil change and rotation ala-carte, the price was about the same.

I plan on doing my next change/rotation myself.

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I use Valvoline 5W-30 dino oil and a Fram filter. I have always rotated tires every 10,000 miles. Total cost for oil/filter chang plus tire rotation at a local shop is $28.

9. jbcumming

jbcumming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota sends out broadsides offering routine service at prices that the dealership won't honor. The dealer says that Toyota sends the release to all Toyota owners but that the Prius costs more because of its complex technology. They attribute the problem to clerical confusion at the Toyota Main Office. The $70 for routine care is about what is charged here, though it is more than what the offer price is. Caveat emptor.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where?

11. jbcumming

jbcumming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Marina del Rey, CA

12. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hamer Toyota in Mission Hills, CA, just quoted me $69.95. That seems to be the going the going rate in Southern California.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota of North Hollywood has Service Coupon Specials on their website; $28.95 for lube, oil and filter and $59.95 for the Minor Service (which includes the tire rotation).

Sometimes other dealers in the area will match special deals.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  15. jbcumming

jbcumming Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Obviously, the dealers don't feel obligated to honor the coupon offers mailed out by Toyota Central and many dealers are not even listed on the coupon website indicated by IsrAmeriPrius, though I'm grateful to Ameri for giving us the link.

16. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid $5 less at Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys for my 5,000 service, and about the same for the 10,000. Can't say I'm happy about it, but feel better about having the service techs at the dealer doing the service than Jiffy Lube or one like it.

17. mikis123

mikis123 Junior Member

18. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Regular $89.95.

Ouch!!!

19. jaguaraja

jaguaraja New Member

i guess i got lucky in this respect. i negotiated free lifetime oil changes. I do have to pay $1 for recycling.