1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$6k+ in repairs for Prius bought a week ago

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by contego, Jul 13, 2011.

1. contego

contego New Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a new Prius owner and read a similar thread here to my story--I'm seeking advice. Bought a 2003 Prius with 106k miles on eBay in CT (I live in MA). One week later the dash lights with exclamation through car went on. Took it to an authorized Toyota dealership and they reported over $6k in repairs to replace the Inverter system and its water pump (among a few other things). The Toyota report used by the dealer showed this type of problem, an overheating inverter unit, happens most commonly on days that are 90 degrees+ and in stop and go traffic. That describes what happened to us. There are different courses of action I'm considering, but having some insight will help me. Questions:

1. Does the car itself keep a record of when that warning light (exclamation through car) occurred in the past? I know that might be a stretch, but one course of action I have is if I can somehow show this was a pre-existing condition that was not disclosed.

2. How common is it for an inverter to go after 106,000 miles?

3. I know I can get an inverter for less than the $4k the dealer is quoting (and they may actually look at junkyards for me), but any tips on buying a used inverter on eBay or elsewhere?

Many thanks from a disenchanted new Prius owner.

Bill

2. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you take a look at car-part.com, you'll see that there are inverters available in the MA area for $250 and up. You should be able to find a nice one for under $500. Look up "Hybrid Converter/Inverter". There are some far more knowledgeable folks around regarding Gen I issues, so that's all I'll offer here.

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. There may be a DIST DTC CLEAR field in the freeze frame data. It is there for 2004+, but I am not sure about 2001-2003.

2,3. The pump fails far more often than the inverter itself. Replace the pump.

There are many independent hybrid service shops in your state. Please do some research and find one. A dealership is the last place to take a 2001-2003 for major repairs.

Preferred Independent Hybrid Car Repair and Service Shops | Hybrid Cars

1 person likes this.
  4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Bad luck, sorry about your experience. I think there is a very good chance, even a probability, that this is a pre-existing condition. That is probably why the car was sold.

A couple of suggestions:

1. Go to a different dealer and find out if they tell you the same thing. I think there is a possibility that only the inverter coolant pump is bad and the inverter may still be OK. There are some good mechanics on this site they may be able to help. As stated above inverters and inverter coolant pumps are available for a lot less than dealers charge.

2. Go to the Toyota Owner's site Toyota Owners - Official Toyota Owners Website and log in using the VIN number and see if you can get any history for the car. Ask a dealer to see if they can give you any repair history.

3. Go to the the Gen1 Prius section of this site and see what some of the other Gen1 owner's have to say. Generation 1 Prius Discussion - PriusChat Forums

1 person likes this.