1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7/100k/0 warranty vs factory hybrid warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mystarzk, Apr 28, 2009.

1. mystarzk

mystarzk New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I plan to buy a low mile used 2009 Prius in the next few days and searched for posts regarding extended warranty but did not find an answer that discussed this...

Other than accessories, what's the benefit to having a 7yr/100k/0 extended warranty when the factory hybrid warranty is 8yr/100k for all hybrid related components?

Thanks in advance for help... :)

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its more than accessories. The extended warranty covers the power train warrantied items that is in effect thru 5yr/50,000 miles and everything else covered under the basic 3yr/36,000 mile warranty.

That covers a lot of stuff. Is it worth it? That is for you to decide.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The different warranties (besides Emission Control) are:

Basic - 36 months/36,000 miles

Hybrid System - 96 months/100,000 miles

Powertrain - 60 months/60,000 miles

Restraint Systems - 60 months/60,000 miles

Corrosion Perforation - 60 months/Unlimited miles

The Extra Care Platinum Plan 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible would extend these warranties (except the Hybrid System which is already longer) to 7 years/100,000 miles, subject to specifically excluded components.

The Toyota Financial Services website has this to say about the Platinum Plan and its excluded components:

"Note: Platinum protection covers virtually all component groups on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components , it is covered by Platinum protection."

"List of Excluded Components
    • Accessory Drive Belts
    • Batteries
    • Body Panels
    • Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes
    • Bumpers
    • Carpet
    • Chrome
    • Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate
    • Dash Cover and Pad
    • Door Trim, Handles and Fabric
    • Filters
    • Fluids
    • Glass (including Windshield)
    • Headliner
    • Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Hinges
    • Hybrid System Main Relays
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery
    • Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack
    • Hoses
    • Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents
    • Lamps
    • Light Bulbs
    • Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners
    • Paint
    • Rotors and Drums
    • Rust and Corrosion Damage
    • Seat Covers
    • Service Plug
    • Shiny Metals
    • Spark Plugs
    • Structural Framework and Wells
    • Tires
    • Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes
    • Weather Stripping
    • Wheels and Rims
    • Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)"

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    with almost 120k on my 04 and just about 0 items broken that could have been fixed by a warranty.. I would say it's not worth it.. but that's just my personal 2 cents

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

The Gen I and Gen II Prius have earned the highest reliability ratings of Consumer Reports every single year since 2001.

With that track record, the 2009 Prius -- which is the 6th model year of the Gen II Prius -- is probably the most reliable car sold in the U.S., and as a general matter, there probably is no car sold in the U.S. less in need of an extended warranty.

That said, I still consider the Platinum Plan 7 years/100,000 miles/$0 deductible a good insurance buy (as insurance products go) at the $1055 price offered here through WarrantyShack.com.

But if I were mystarzk, I'd wait until approaching the 3 years/36,000 miles mark before deciding whether to buy the extended warranty and which extended warranty to get to match his driving (you can save hundreds off the $1055 price by getting the Platinum Plan with fewer maximum years and/or miles).

6. edmcohen

edmcohen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even with a Prius, I find it hard t0 believe that an attentive owner will not find items to get much or all of the extended warranty premium back. I have had comparable warranties in my two Honda Civics. Both obligingly had fluid seepage issues to be corrected under the warranty. One got new struts that way.

I expect to resell my current Civic with 10,000 miles or so of that warranty to convey to the new owner. That is a powerful marketing tool. In the past, I have stubbornly kept cars to the bitter end, But doing the arithmetic, it is more cost effective to move a popular model Toyota or Honda along, at a point where one can still get good money for it
    . I will find out whether or not there are people out there who would rather buy even a high mileage car from an original owner with complete service records and warranty.