1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7-Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Sep 9, 2007.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It was 7 years ago today that I was handed a set of keys for my first Prius.

I still remember the awe, knowing very well that the automotive world was entering a new age. Within a month of that, it became apparent that I would be playing an active roll in the foundation of hybrids.

Since then, quite a bit has happened. Resistance to the technology grew intense and a standard industry approach is far from being agreed upon. We are still very much in the "lots of untapped potential" stage. Reaching mainstream volume is currently the biggest challenge. Prius is still setting sales records, but the competition has shown no interest in production on that scale... let alone the substantial increase Toyota is striving for.

Oh well. At least people now understand what the heck a "hybrid" is now and the fact that they don't require a plug. Lots of the original misconceptions have faded away too, like concerns about battery-life.

What will your thoughts be after 7 years of Prius ownership?

I'm quite certain year 8 will be very exciting. Stay tuned.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just hope my thoughts at 7 years (about 3 years away yet) are NOT "Why the hell don't I have my PHEV yet?"

My thoughts currently still circle around the issue of why there's so much resistance from so many sides. Just about anyone that rides in one and sees what they really are and how they really work come away with the same though..."Why can't every car be like this?"

Perhaps it's just a sign of our impatience, something like this takes time for acceptance to grow, esp. in something that is so ingrained in our culture...in fact something like a hover craft might be more readily accepted as it wouldn't be seen so much as a direct competition to our understanding of what a conventional IC automobile is or should be.

Congrats on the anniversary, have a nice brew to celebrate and give the baby a nice Zaino polish while you're at it!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. In 4 years (which would be my 7th anniversary), the automotive landscape may be different. We might finally see hybrids as an alternative engine in a lineup (just like you have an option btwn an I4 and a V6 or V8). Hybrids might have more than one trim level (not simply just a hybrid model with a set no. of features). e.g. Camry LE, LE V6, Hybrid LE.

We might see a different range of hybrids as each manufacturer comes up with their own idea to promote cost-efficiency and mpg figures. IOW, because of competition, we might have a hybrid system for all budgets.

All I know is that I can proudly say that I got mine before the masses did :p.

Cheers! Here's to 10 years!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 9 2007, 11:26 AM) [snapback]509560[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 9 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]509574[/snapback]</div>
    Back in 2000, based on my extensive experience with new computer technology adoption, I braced myself for a 10 year wait with hybrids. And so far, it sure looks like that expectation will maintain the schedule.

I'm hoping by 2010, the choice will be obvious... where people ask themselves how there could have been any doubt that hybrids like Prius were the next large-scale natural step forward for the automotive industry. In fact, the ultimate vindication will be when someone argues with me, claiming my example of past resistance couldn't have actually happened.

We'll see.

In the meantime, Prius is well on its way to solidifying undisputed mainstream status.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm. April 2012.

I may be on my second Prius by then. My HOV stickers will have expired and have been removed.

I'm sure I'll still be smug in the knowledge that I chose the right car and recognized the necessity before many others. I will no longer be "special" because many more Prii will be on the road. By then others in my family, long silenced about the "golf cart" I drive, will have moved on to some sort of hybrid for their new car purchases. If I'm on my second Prius, my sister or one of my nephews may have my current car.

I'll still love it, as long as it still has the hatchback and similar design. (Less chrome please).