1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7 years bad luck? or Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by The Electric Me, Feb 17, 2015.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've posted in Prius Chat my support for blind spot mirrors.
    But what I haven't shared is I also enjoy trying different ones. I'm a sucker every time I find one a little different.

So anyway, short stupid short...

I remove the perfectly good blind spot mirrors I have, and put these "new" ones on.

OK...too big. I don't like them.
    I've driven to the store, I KNOW I should just go home and get some anti-adhesive (goo gone) and carefully remove them. I've done this before. BUT....for some reason, since they haven't been on very long, I think I will just try pulling them off.

I know...Stupid.

CRACK...the whole mirror breaks. Just the glass part..not the assembly. But the glass is shattered.

Ok...I guess all I'm wondering is how much is this is going to cost me to fix?

Anyone had the mirror broken? Wondering how much my impatience is going to end up costing me, just for the removal of a $2.50 blind spot mirror.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacing only the glass can be difficult because the replacement glass might not fit into the housing due to a slight difference in size or due to small shards of glass that you will not be able to reach and remove from the housing. That's the problem I had when I tried replacing only the glass on one of my rides.

In your situation, I would try searching for a mirror assembly from a salvage vehicle. Finding one for your Prius might be challenging since your car's color is somewhat rare.

BTW, I've never used blind spot mirrors. I move the side mirrors outward as much as possible - this has worked well.

3. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll fall on the sword with the dealership today.

I can't be the only person that something "like" this has happened to....the rest of the assembly is perfectly OK, I'm really hoping Toyota offers a way of just replacing the glass and doesn't force someone to replace the whole assembly.

I guess I could also take it to a body shop, as in wrecks they have to replace things like this all the time.

Just started this thread so I could hopefully either get "good news" that the mirror is easily replaced....or get "pre-shocked" to find out this is going to REALLY cost me.

Drives me nuts though...looks horrible. And of course is dangerous as now I have no drivers side mirror that really works.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    time to mod folding mirrors with turn signals. make some lemonade!:p

The Electric Me likes this.
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a driver in an opposing lane remove the mirror from my usta-truck one day.

To his credit....he was sober, he didn't appear to be texting at the time, and he stopped immediately to offer to pay for the mirror.
    Pleased by his honesty, and not wanting my VIN to appear in an accident report (and in CARFAX) I took his offer of $200 to just drive away and DIY the repair.

Like TEM's Prius, the shell was intact and I just needed the glass mirror.
    After scrabbling around the internet for 2-3 days and not being able to find one.......I threw myself on the tender mercies of GM and visited the local dealer's parts counter.

Bad News: No mirror replacement. No way. No Day. You have to order the whole assembly.

Good News: No seven years bad luck for me. The mirror assembly was less than $110, and it took less than 15 minutes ti replace it.

Take-Away: Sometimes the dealer is cheaper than you think. In my case, they were actually cheaper that the internet parts vendors!

Unfortunately, Priuses have body colored mirrors, so it might be more expensive for you than my truck mirror story, but you never know.
    As many blind spot as these cars have, I'm sure that you will not be the first person to ask for replacement glass.

Good Luck!

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like the way Toyota does mirrors.

The mirror structure/mechanical guts are one part. The body-colored shell is a separate cheap part and can be ordered in all the available colors. (My mom had a Hyundai where you could only buy the mirror in primer gray and pay a body shop to paint-match it, for way more than what the part cost.)

And the Toyota glass is its own separate part, premounted in a plastic carrier that just snaps into place. You'll be done in 5 minutes. (I admit, figuring out how to snap the carrier out the first time you've ever done it is a little worrisome when you don't yet know how to do it without cracking the glass ... but you won't be worried about that.)

The part seems to be about $40, or $70 in the auto-dimming flavor, but you should get the right part numbers from your dealer because the online catalog I was looking in hasn't got 2013s yet.

-Chap

7. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You could try an aftermarket stick-on mirror. It won't be exactly the right size, but it will do the job.

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm also troubled by the blind-spots in my Prius. I cancelled my order for the 2 rubberized "eyeball" cameras that I was originally planning to mount on the car to give me a rear-view on my head unit display.

Based on my experience with the backup camera; the lens is always getting obscured by road debris, so I'm looking into the possibility of mounting a wide-angle dash-cam in my rear window. This way, a clear view is just a windshield-wiper-washer swipe away.

I'm not sure if I want to feed the signal to my head unit, in which case I'd have to also purchase the speed over-ride module; or whether I should buy the new Garmin GPS nav with a backup camera option. I could turn it on by supplying power to the camera with a switch.

I'd like to hear from someone who has explored this option.

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well the good news is that according to my dealership, you can just replace the mirror (glass).
    It's going to cost me less than $100. Which is still probably a huge profit maker for The Dealership and Toyota.

I know a lot of you, even the dealership themselves are going to tell me I can install this myself. But hey? I cracked the glass with just a simple blind spot mirror, I'll give them a $20, to let them snap it in.

Oh, and that Garmin Back-Up Camera option looked interesting to me.

But at their site, they had a disclaimer that said something to the affect that they recommended professional installation for the camera portion.

If I'm going to have to have a camera "professionally" installed, what is the benefit then of it being wireless?

At that point I might as well just have a "regular" wired back-up system installed, and not have it tied or dependent on my Navigation GPS.

It's semi-minor.

But I've never been thrilled with the Prius side mirrors. They just seem a little too small.

I'm happy and fine, with a blind spot mirror installed. (YES...I like them). But just the shape and size of The Prius mirrors is disturbing.

#10 The Electric Me, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I may go for the cheap wired camera option. The only foreseeable problem will be finding a reasonable place to put the video display.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, but then you lose the best chance you'll ever have to learn how they snap in ... by snapping one out that you don't care about cracking, since it's already cracked! :)

-Chap

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do? Let us know how it goes.
    I'd like to somehow add a back-up camera.

I have a Garmin GPS, but I only set it up and use it, when I need it. The rest of the time it's "hidden" in the arm rest. I like using it that way.
    I've got a holder that also fit's in the arm rest, and it only takes a few seconds to plug it in and set up...and later dismantle. But the rest of the time I like the "clean" look of not having a bunch of wires or a satellite screen sitting somewhere off to the side or on the dash.

This is a big reason why The Wireless Garmin doesn't appeal to me. I don't necessarily want my GPS set up all the time. Even though I think I'm in the minority here.

What I really want is a back-up camera that works just like the OEM Toyota back-up camera. I don't want another screen to worry about.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It doesn't hurt to have a Garmin nav in the car anyway, because the OEM nav is just junk, which I find barely usable. I was happy with the third-party wireless back-up cam I had in my Corolla, because it projected the image from the rear-view mirror, thereby taking up no extra space. The only drawback is that it obviates the self-tinting OEM mirror, but come to think about it, it doesn't work very well anyway.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know if this will be of any value to you. I have a 2014 Avalon Hybrid XLE Touring. One of the outside mirrors had a defect in the mirror part. It was under warranty and Toyota replaced the mirror part. It only took a few minutes for them to do it. You might consider asking a Toyota dealer how much they will charge you for them to replace it.

16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh I agree. That was a big reason I was willing to go with a Prius Two. I really didn't want the Toyota Nav upgrade. I keep and use my Garmin and it's great. But I don't keep it set up in my vehicle all the time. (Hey...most of the time I know where I want to go, and how to get there). I pretty much only set it up when I'm going someplace I'm not familiar with. Or I'm on vacation in an unfamiliar area.

Here's a question. When you had the back-up camera that worked through the rear view mirror, was the image big enough?

I've talked to different people about having such a system installed, but I've had concerns that the image would be so small as to be useless.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never had a problem seeing it, mind you the mirror was a bit closer to the eye in the Corolla than it is in the Prius.

18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think it would be wise to do a lot of research to make sure you will be satisfied with your choice of an aftermarket back-up camera. For example I think you would want one that has infrared night vision so you can see well at night behind you. No question that a back-up camera is a valuable safety device.

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Research is king, I agree. I don't intend using mine for backing up, as I already have a backup camera, which doesn't need infrared as it happens, because the reversing lights do just fine illuminating the way at night.

Mine is planned to be inside the back window, where it can have an unobscured view of the blind-spots on the road while I'm driving. At any rate, IR illumination doesn't work from behind glass at night, because it only reflects back, obscuring the image. Most of the newer cameras do a nice job at night with the latest CMOS sensors.

20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

All is right with The Prius again. I no longer have the shattered fragmented reflective reminder of my stupidity when I glance at my drivers side mirror.

However, this turned out to be a relatively costly bit of stupidity. The dealership charged me about $85.00 for the mirror, and then $50.00+ for the installation.

But come on? I just shattered my mirror using a 2inch by 2inch piece 3M adhesive attached to a $2.50 blind spot mirror, my confidence in trying to install a brand new mirror...was low. I figured $50 was an equitable investment in NOT having to post about how I somehow broke the new mirror trying to install it.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

If removing a blind spot mirror, patience and "Goo Gone" are your friends.