1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7 Years Old, Still Pulls 60mpg!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 20, 2023.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Once an Prius driver, always a Prius driver?

60mpg2023.jpg
    3.9L/100km = 60 mpg.

I took the 2016 Prius out for a week and yesterday with dry roads and mild temperatures, managed to achieve this gem. Tyres are Nokian Hakkapeliita WRG4 215/45R17 specs.

Driving the Gen 4, I really appreciate (re-appreciate?) the engineering that went into that generation. The front seats really are comfortable and my back feels less sore almost immediately after settling into the seat (Same seats as my Prime).

The driving dynamics of a car vs. the heavier EV6 is noticeable. We have the Touring model so it has a stiffer setup than the regular Gen 4 or the Gen 4 Prime. There's less body roll in corners. However, the EV6 does still ride better than the Gen 4 as the Touring model is bumpy over rougher pavement.

The Gen 4 is also significantly noisier than the EV6 (and noisier than I remember. I'm pretty sure the Prime was quieter). I definitely don't miss the engine noise though :LOL:

Edit: Lemme know if you guys think this should be in the fuel economy section

#1 Tideland Prius, Apr 20, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  2. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Can u specify what parts are diff in touring model?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing I saved the e-mail. It's not very detailed but this is all I got out of Toyota:

"The suspension, spring constant and shock absorber were tuned to increase damping force". I didn't get a response when I asked for further clarification, particularly for the "suspension" part.

4. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wish I had part numbers for the diff shocks/struts. KYB only lists one shock option [for Prius] on their site and at rock auto....

5. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m jealous: with our 2010, on 215/45R17 Primacy MXM4, just yesterday put about 100k kms on a new tank, and display finally got below 5, to 4.8~4.9. Heavy rain and AC (for humidity abatement) a factor, but even in summer we’re lucky to get down to 4.5 displayed.

but then I give my head a shake: with our low usage (around 3k kms yearly), we could be driving a 4Runner lol.

Is that the correct name? At Kal Tire I see either the WRG4’s (all weather) or the the Hakk’s (snow tire). Hopefully this link works:

Shop Tires | Kal Tire

#6 Mendel Leisk, Apr 21, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s true. With your low mileage, any vehicle would’ve worked for you.

Yeah I was very surprised to see those values too. Low 4s was hard to get with the Gen 3 from what I can remember. I actually never got a full tank that low here. I did back in the prairies. Funny enough I did get low 4s once over a full tank on the Gen 2 but that was with a longer drive and obviously much less traffic back then.

Same tyre. Guess they dropped “Hakkapeliita” for the WR series. It’s the all-weather tyre.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Roughly 72 MPG to non-US people.

Going off topic for a bit, just in case anyone else is interested...

There's roughly 1.2 US Gallons in a UK gallon, due to a few historical reasons. A gallon is "8 pints" everywhere, but the definition of a pint differs from place to place, as do the fluid ounces that define pints.

We can start with the US Customary fluid ounce, which was originally defined as the volume occupied by "one ounce of wine". This definition was used by the US and some areas that were very highly influenced by trading with the US mostly in and around the 1700s.

The British, and the areas that were more influenced by the British Empire (from the 1600s), defined a fluid ounce as the volume occupied by "one ounce of water".

As alcohol is less dense than water, the US Customary wine-based fluid ounce was always around 4% larger by volume than the water-based British one. This roughly 4% difference still remains today.

Moving on to pints...

In 1836, the UK (and eventually every country apart from the US) adopted the International System of Units (SI), which defined a pint as 20 (slightly-smaller-water-based) fluid ounces. The US kept their definition of a pint as 16 (slightly-larger-wine-based) fluid-ounces.

The end result is that today a US pint is 16 (slightly-smaller-US-variety) fluid ounces, which is 16 x 29.5735ml = 473.176ml. The rest of the world defines a pint as 20 (slightly-larger-rest-of-the-world-variety) fluid ounces = 20 x 28.4131ml = 568.261ml.

Moving on to gallons...

A gallon is always 8 pints (8 smaller US pints in the US and 8 bigger pints everywhere else). Hence 60 MPG in the US is around 72 MPG everywhere else. Both of these equate to exactly the same fuel economy of 3.9L/100km.

#8 The Professor, Apr 22, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  9. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Very interesting....and reminds me of why I enjoy Pints better in a Pub in South Hampton with my mate......discussing Al-You-Min-EE-Um.
    LOL(y). I havent been over the pond since Covid. Miss those chats and times.(n)

The Professor likes this.