1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

7000 mile report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by josephdmcc, Jul 28, 2007.

1. josephdmcc

josephdmcc josephdmcc

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just crossed 7000 miles since buying my Package 6 on May 13 (I'm in sales) and I'm right at 50 mpg lifetime. I'm talking about hard, highway (95, DC and Baltimore beltways) and city driving with the AC always on. Couldn't be happier. Since it is a $250 fine in DC for being on a cell phone, the Bluetooth has already paid for itself, and since I travel so much, couldn't live without NAV. The perfect tool for my job.

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(josephdmcc @ Jul 28 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]486758[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. Block your upper grill and increase your tp to at least 42/40 and you should be able to do a bit better.

3. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 28 2007, 08:20 PM) [snapback]486849[/snapback]</div>
    I frequently see you post about blocking the upper grill, what do you use, and is the purpose to keep the engine hotter or is it to increase aerodynamics somehow?

4. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Jul 28 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]486878[/snapback]</div>
    You block the grill with pipe insulation. You can get the insulation from the local Lowes, Home Depot, local hardware store. Search for blocking grill on this site for detailed installation. The theory is to minimize full air flow to the engine compartment and radiator to force the car to operate at a higher temperature. Since it is at the higher temp then the thermos bottle that holds coolant at temperature will keep it at a higher temperature. Blocking the grill just minimizes SOME of the airflow and helps keep the engine warmer after shutdown.....and then warmer on a subsequent restart. I use a scanguage II to monitor the coolant temp. I will try to pull some data with and without the grill blocked for coolant temps. Hope this helps.

5. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another thing that can be done to increase fuel mileage is to switch to synthetic engine oil (if you haven't already done so). I picked up 2 mpg just by switching to Mobil 1.