1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

71mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bob Allen, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Humu hit 71 mpg on his way home from work. Distance was only 15 miles sor so, but it was mixed freeway and city street driving. He got about 55 mpg on the way into work this morning.
    Before I left work yesterday, I stopped to put some more air in my tires, as per a post elsewhere, but I didn't put nearly as much air in. The post mentioned 50 psi, which seemed way too high for me and dangerous. I raised the pressure to 36 psi in each tire; they were down to about 28 when I filled them. Probably made a big difference.
    Fun thing about the mpg readout is that you can get an instantaneous read on your mpg.
    Bob

2. jasond

jasond New Member

28 is way too low. If they were in fact filled properly when you bought the car (pretty recent, right?), you may have some sort of slow leak.

Factory recommendation is 35/33, so you're pretty close to the recommended pressure now. However, you should have the rear tires 2 psi below the front tires, for technical reasons that I won't explain, since I don't really understand why.