1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

729 miles @ 60.7 MPG in mixed driving! EPA is wrong!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ray Moore, May 25, 2005.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just filled up my tank. Here are the numbers.

729 miles @ 60.7 MPG.
    First bar disappeared at 190 miles.
    Last bar started blinking at 628 miles.
    Pumped 12.2 gallons. First click off at 11.13.
    Temperatures ranged from 72 degrees to 98 degrees.
    34 mile commute with mix of city, highway, and back roads.

I could have gone another 35 miles at least but I stopped at the same chevron station that I had filled up at to start the tank. I played it safe, though it might not seem like it to many here.

Most of my tanks are around 650 miles at 58 MPG. This is my highest average ever but other high tanks include one of 763 miles at 59.6(12.75 gallons) and 703 at 59.1 MPG. I checked back and those temperatures were the same. Hot but not unGodly hot. I recently changed the air filter at 31,000 miles and noticed a slight improvement but it could have been the temps.

Anyway, the car can certainly do it. You have to learn to drive it and the mileage will be better at speeds of 60 mph and below and on longer commutes. My wife has had hers a month now and has improved from 50 MPG to 53+ MPG. I think she's hooked.

Two of my freinds are in the process of buying Prius right now. We'll have to all meet for dinner and park the four silver Prius together. Or maybe we could carpool.....naahh.

2. coloradospringsprius

Truly amazing, Ray!

A lot of it is the coasting you do. Recently I got 100+ mpg for over an hour while rolling down a mountain pass.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    With warmer ambient temperatures and using Mobil 1, I'm now getting 60 to 62 mpg consistently, with cruise control. Nice.

4. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Thanks for setting the bar a little higher for all of us, Ray Moore! I recently started using your tatic of coasting in neutral when appropriate, and am currently sitting between 57 and 58 on the tank. I don't think I can get up to 60 consistently on my commute, but I keep creeping up. The temps her in Denver get pretty cool overnight and my morning communte is generally still around 50F.

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are da man! I am working on getting up to that performance.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, very nicely done, Ray!

7. rflagg

rflagg Member

And here I thought I could beat you on my last tank. I do not know if my car had another break in at 25,000 miles, or what, but last May I certainly wasn't doing this good - my last tank was 673 miles at 59.4 MPG. At about 580 miles I was scratching that 60.0 MPG magic number, but then a few rainy days hurt my travels. Oh well, I'm certainly not complaining. I now know in the right circumstances, I can possibly break that 700mi barrier. Congrats to you Ray! :) Keep pushing that bar higher for the rest of us reaching!

-m.

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Ya'll are so cool.

Kingofgix- Those are great numbers for where you are.

skruse- With CC, amazing.

Tadashi- I think you will beat me soon. I've been watching you.

And Rflagg- That is so cool. I've been looking forward to hearing from you and wondering where you have been. Be sure and fill it up up up. 59.4 is plenty high to top 700 if you start out full full full.

Go Prius!

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Pictures are worth a thousand miles. Well not quite, but getting closer.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Would I ever love to see that! My commute and terrain will never allow it (until we move back to Wisconsin that is)

Way to go Ray!

I'm about to hit 450 miles on this tank, down to 1 bar. I think the MFD is down to 47.8 after driving around in the rain.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Daaamn. Keep it up Ray!

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Wow. Won't be getting too close to that. I killed my mileage last Sunday driving on the highway to a friend's house and back home. Anything over 55 MPH and my MPG goes to 50 and below. Right now I am getting it back up to 55MPG with one pip left.

Getting my cabin cooled down in slow traffic after work isn't helping either.

I probably could get to 650 this time around.

13. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I usually get anywhere from the upper 40's to the mid 50's on my commute (180 miles round trip 2-3 days a week), depending on the weather. A couple of weeks ago the temperature was in the low 70's and it was cloudy and cool, so I wasn't using any climate control. When I got home I was at 61.1 MPG! I was shocked.

Now it's getting hot and I'm using the AC more, so the MPG is lower. Probably won't be higher until this fall.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wtg Ray!!

and for all of you who thinks coasting did it for him, i never coast in neutral and i am not that far behind him. i do do (unfortunately :( ) more than my share of grid lock

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"92744)</div>
    A gaggle of Prii. Bling bling! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ray Moore\";p=\"92744)</div>
    Ah, Jevon's Paradox...

16. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Way to go Ray!

Whats your tire pressure? Do you use synthetic oil?

17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

How can you pump 12.2 gallons into a 11.9 gallon tank? Does the tank capacity increase at higher temperatures?

18. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have pumped 12.75 in the past. There is space in the plumbing as well. Toyota said that it is 11.9 gallons but they also said that an oil change with filter takes 3.9 quarts. That amount will overfill the crankcase every time. There has been plenty of debate on this. I respect the opinions of others on the wisdom of pumping beyond the pump click off. I will; however, continue to do so.

Tire pressure is 42/40. I use Mobil1. I have a new air filter. My driving techniques are outlined in the 763 miles thread, the 703 miles thread, and the coasting in neutral thread.

I have a blast driving this car. Thanks for all the encouragement. It makes me feel less like a geek.

Go Prius!

19. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

11.9 is the nominal amount, some more some less. but Toyota is saying it should hold 11.9 US gallons at about 70F. At 110 like it gets where Ray lives that bladder is more flexible and as such will strech into the corners of the metal tank and as such will hold more than say Jayman in Winnipeg Manitoba were it seldom gets above 45F on a nice day in May;)

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but what about the fuel filler pipe. That'll hold some fuel too cause I recall Ray saying that he'll pump til he sees fuel