1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

73.4 miles / 63.6 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by azgringo, Oct 13, 2009.

1. azgringo

azgringo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, now that the climate out here in Phoenix is in the 80's, I've noticed a big difference in mpg's. In the summer time when temps are 100+, I typically averaged 50 mpg on a daily basis. I still use my AC all the time, but my mpg's have gotten significantly better. I've now been averaging upper 50's / low 60's. Today I drove 73.4 miles and got 63.6 mpg. All in "normal mode." I guess temps can have a big difference on mpg's! Has anyone else noticed this?

2. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From what I have read, temps do make a difference. A lot of us are going to see a drop in MPG as it gets colder. I have already seen a 54MPG go down to 51.5MPG. And it has been in the 30s and 40s where I live.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes and the effect appears to peak at ~80F in North Alabama. Any warmer and A/C is necessary. Any cooler and air density as well was warm-up effects begin to predominate.

Bob Wilson

4. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It has been in the low forties here in the morning and late evening. At the same times I'm going to and coming home from work and it is killing my gas mileage. :( The warm up times are increasing by two or three minutes each way. And when your only driving three miles each way it is not helping at all.

5. Tourezrick

Tourezrick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ditto Eaglesight333's experience. For the past 800+ miles, I've avg'd 54mpg, this week - cool (40-50) and rainy and I've dropped almost 3 mpg avg. In all my other cars, including the '69 Vette with the stroker motor I sold last year, I always got better mileage in cooler weather, and then, the big drop when it fell below freezing, so, I'm puzzled. Guess the inj. mapping must be real different on the Prius, even though the car is in a heated (60) garage.

6. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i've noticed the difference seems to be A/C vs. No A/C. our car has gone from 52 mpg to 57 mpg just because we are not using the A/C.

same gas, same route, same habits, etc.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mileage is up here in Mississippi, I feel I am using less A/C at 70 than I was at 95. Mind you, when it rains, mileage is down.