1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

750 miles Ma to PA round trip with AC @ 68 degrees

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hammy, Jul 9, 2008.

1. hammy

hammy Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just drove from Western Mass to Lancaster PA round trip 750 miles with the outside temp 82 -92 degrees. I averaged 53.1 MPG with the AC set at 68 degrees. My highway speed was 68 MPH if limit was 65 MPH and 61 MPH when the limit was 55 MPH both with cruise control. My engine temp was never above 180 degrees. No complaints here.:)

2. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's about right for those speeds.

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    hammy,

what follows is a comparison, not a criticism.

Last weekend we did a similar length trip from Marylad to Long Island, New
    York and return. I took a slower speed approach; in 65 MPH PSL zones I did
    62; in 60 and 55 I did the PSL. One way I "did it my way," on the other I
    used the cruise control. In both cases, I got 59.4 MPG.

I had read here on PriusChat that speeds above 65 MPG would result in a big
    MPG hit. So I resolved to drive only as fast as I had to not to be a "rolling"
    obstruction to the traffic flow. In comparison with your trip, it's most
    interesting to see how speeds above ~60 MPH affect MPGs.

Details on my trip in post #21, here:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/fuel-economy/44627-50-mpg-newbies-quest-post663827.html#post663827

Edit: I know that there are many factors that contribute to MPGs including;
    weight of occupants and luggage, fuel type, topography, tire pressures, etc.
    Thats why I'm not hitting the difference in our MPGs hard. But its interesting to
    me that you went about 10% faster, and MPGs were about 10% lower, at or
    about 60 MPH.

Oh yeah, I've still got pipe insulation blocks in my upper grill openings.
    I saw typical coolant temps ~194 deg F on my ScanGauge. No problemo.

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    hammy, you didn't by any chance go down for a military miniature convention did you?

5. hammy

hammy Prius Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nope, Elizabeth Collage to drop of Daughter for Sound of America European Tour for the rest of the summer.

6. autoxic

autoxic Commuter

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Those MPG numbers sound normal to me, for those speeds, if you have tires at high PSI.

I usually drive faster on the highway, because anything below 72 MPH is dangerous on I-95 near northern VA. I've had some great mileage, 48-52 MPG, even at 75 MPH, on morning commutes. Cars are spaced 40-60 feet apart during rush hour, all while going 70-85 MPH. Thrilling.

I wonder if there is a significant drafting effect while going with the flow of dense traffic on the highway. Has anyone else thought this?

7. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    nice, About 2 months ago I traveled to MA from NJ a 250 mile trip one way and averaged 54.4 mpg. I was driving from speeds of 60 all the way to 80, I was using the P&G method (who knew it worked as well on the highway!) It was late at night so there were hardly any cars on the road. It was the best mileage I have gotten so far on the highway.

8. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just the other weekend drove from upstate NY to Queens, that's a 160 mile round trip. No ac on, going between 55-58mph, more 55. I stayed in the right lane as much as possible, and finding others in the same lane maintaining the same speed. I guess people are aware now more than ever in how a lower speed effects their mpg's. I averaged 58mpg, not bad considering that I have upgraded to wider tires, and installed mud guards which did decrease the mpg's by a 2-3.

9. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Running that close and at times closer to each other and running at 75 mph can result to drafting. Definitely saves some gas on high speeds (just like NASCAR)...but be alert...if someone makes a mistake every car around the vicinity may be affected (just like NASCAR). :D

10. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Great to know as to what I may expect in our upcoming vacation trip. We plan to take the Prius from PA. to Brewster, MA. taking the scenic route. I will try to stay within the speed limit and see what my mpg #'s will look like. If I am close to what you got, I am satisfied. :cool: