1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

76,000 Miles, people tell me I will need a new engine soon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenAdventuress, Oct 14, 2008.

1. GreenAdventuress

GreenAdventuress New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    hi everyone,
    I am new and thought I would post my fuel mileage.....smile....I have a 2006 Prius with over 76,000 miles on it and get between 50-55 miles per gallon regularly. I still do a happy dance when I fill up....but am getting concerned because of the age of my car....Many owners tell me I will be needing a new (engine?) soon and it will cost over five thousand dollars......any thoughts? Is this true?
    Thanks and be safe out there...
    Teresa

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Re: Do lights have any effect on energy used?

Hi Teresa -

Well, I'm not sure why you're posting in this thread... but uh... just who are these "many owners? There's no reason to fear needing a new engine. What you CAN fear if you wish - is being happy about pouring gasoline into your car. That is scary.

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Teresa,

Read your warranty manual.

Whoever thinks a Prius needs to have its "engine" or any part of its hybrid system replaced at 76,000 miles are definitely NOT Prius owners.

Real Prius owners know better than that. Like I said, read your warranty manual and you will see why. The numbers 8 / 100,000 have something to do with it. (or 10 / 150,000 if you are in one of the 8 states with California-standard emissions laws).

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    iff that where the case toyota will need to replace every engine from every prius on the planet....
    warranty:biggrin1:

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  6. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't resist...
    Yes, the engine is no doubt on its last legs. Please sell it to me, and I'll replace my old Mercedes. Its engine is no doubt about to fall apart, with over 230,000 miles on the odometer, and no major repairs. Also consumes no oil. But it did have good maintenance during the past 22 years. I expect my Prius to go as far, with good maintenance. I guess Ill find out, eventually...

7. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Even a normal ICE car wouldn't need its engine replaced at 76,000 miles and the Prius has way less wear on its engine than a normal ICE. I suspect that someone is jealous that you have a car that costs so much less to operate that they make disparaging remarks in order to make you feel bad about your choice of vehicle and that you really should have bought that Hummer after all! You know what they say; Misery loves company. Take their remarks for what they are worth! Absolutely nothing! Enjoy your Prius and do the regular maintenance and most of all ENJOY!!!!!

8. GreenAdventuress

GreenAdventuress New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you for moving my post Evan, I will certainly be more careful in the future particularly after reading the replies here and your suggesting, " people are much more understanding about things when you post there." referring to the newbie forum. Boy, I hope so. The tone of every one of these replies is either antagonistic or downright snotty. I would've thought people had better things to do with their time than trying to make others feel bad. No Darell, I am not happy to be putting gasoline in my car, but at having to use less of it........They hybrid system does go out on these vehicles, albeit rarely, and a rather well known radio host in Seattle had to replace his around fifty thousand miles. No it isn't common, but it happens. And Rob, nothing positive to say there, just snide remarks. Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but I would never try to make myself big by deliberately trying to make someone else feel small. By the way, it didn't work.

Teresa

9. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have found, in general, that people are usually full of crap. If for some reason you actually did need a new engine (not that you would) they can be had very cheap ($500 or so). This is because there is no demand for replacement engines (or motor/transaxles) because they usually don't break that often. If one were to part out a Prius you could get more for a good coolant thermos can than for an entire engine.

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    GreenAdventures,

Yes, PC can be pretty snotty at times, but helpful too so don't let a few flippant replies run you off. I was hoping someone would address what the real basis probably is to your question. Hasn't happened so I'll take a stab at it: Most likely the person believed your battery/hybrid drive would soon fail.

There's been a lot of FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) thrown around about that in the mainstream of non-Prius owners. There is a finite lifetime to the traction battery. With an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty in most states and 10 yr/150K in California (and some other states) on the current Prius Hybrid system/battery you really shouldn't have a major concern.

The traction battery has a relatively long life because Toyota's hybrid management system takes pains to keep it in a safe charge range. As I understand it, few have failed under warranty. Some conditions (lots of cycling back and forth from high to low charge, running hot, etc.) will likely result in quicker failure. I don't think anyone knows what the mean time between failures will be but it is almost certainly substantially over 100,000 miles and probably over 150,000 miles--else Toyota would get murdered on warranty battery replacement.

If you do have to replace it, the battery can be had for something under $2,000. Yes the cost would be substantial, but is no worse than a transmission job in other vehicles. And some other vehicles were notorious for transmissions failing short of 100k.

There are some other drive components that can fail as I understand it, the riskiest/potentially most expensive being the inverter. It is susceptible to inverter coolant pump failure or more importantly to improper jump starting. Replacing a failed pump is reasonable. However, the inverter repair with a new one is on the order of $5,000 but a salvage one can be had for around $1,000 (if I've been paying attention.)

The Prius internal combustion engine (ICE) is unlikely to fail in the lifetime of the vehicle. It doesn't get all that much work compared to many other vehicles and engines have become very reliable over the past three decades.

If I've misstated anything, someone will likely correct me.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You did change the oil? If not, then they might be right. :D

Seriously, though, you are 24,000 miles from new spark plugs and changing the coolant. Other than that, you should be fine.

Tom

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Exactly who are these "many owners" that spoke to you? Be specific.

A comment like that doesn't seem realistic, and is the problem with your post.

13. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I smell a troll. :( I've been wrong before though. :eek:

... Brad

14. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 06 turned 70,000 last week, and never ran better. It has never ever been back to a dealer. I do all my own servicing. All it has ever needed are tires (at 67K), oil change, and, oh yeah, a little gas now and then. Tell your friends to go bother somebody else. I expect lots of more trouble-free miles. I thought our Subarus were bullet proof, but the Prius runs like solid gold. No worries.

P.S.

See my new post "Inverter collant pump failure at 70,000 miles"
    (The engine is still fine though)

15. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The only way the OP will need a new engine soon is if he has not changed the oil yet.

16. toi

toi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i have a 2006 prius ,it has 182,xxx on the clock.engine running like a champ.dont worry.do the maintanence on time.i dont see that engine going bad soon at all.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Teresa,
    I suspect you have been speaking to the "many owners" of Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Volkswagen, and Nissan vehicles. Yes for them 100,000 miles is a noteworthy achievement but for a Toyota owner that is just when the car is run in. Just service your Prius regularly, change the fluid in the hybrid synergy drive now if you haven't already and at every 60,000 miles and your Prius will last a very long time without a worry.

Enjoy

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :huh:
    I'm still trying to figure out who gave her a snide remark?
    There is a bit of humor, but no one attacked her for her posting... though her "other owners" got a bit shot down, as to be expected.

I'm leaning towards the troll descriptor, as well.

19. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Teresa,

When I was first considering a Prius the main concern about the car from people I talked to was the traction battery. I suspect that may be the concern they were trying to voice to you. You might have to search long and hard for someone who has had to replace a traction battery on a 2004-2009 Prius (except those damages in accidents). My understanding is that Toyota tested these batteries to around 170K mi. and they spec'd to 98%. (from a salesman) The internal combustion engine should and has run well past 300k mi (as proven from some Prius Taxi's). If you are really concerned about the engine check out the 100,000 mile club blog.

20. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Somewhere around here there is a thread posted by someone who needed to replace the short block or perhaps the entire engine. The reason? The owner didn't change oil for something like 25,000mi. That one is a good read.