1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

763 miles on one tank!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ray Moore, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    For some reason the site will not accept the upload at this time. As soon as the site will let me I will post pictures of my latest tank and fillup. The MFD shows 59.6 MPG and 763 miles. The gas pump shows 12.748 gallons used. The Prius is easily capable of 60 MPG in mixed driving. I drove the speed limit with about 60% highway driving. I took several hits to the mileage, but the car still performed well. The temperatures ranged in the 90s all week and hit 99 today. This picture was taken at 7:00 pm and it was still 91 degrees F. I have recently tinted the windows with a ceramic coating called "huper optik" which is highly effective and pleasing to the eye. I'm running mobil1 in the crankcase not near full. I'm running 42/40 in the tires and at 13,000 miles the car is well broken in. I never expected this car to perform so well. I thoroughly enjoy the Prius and the serenity of driving for high mileage in it. I drive the speed limit, slightly less uphills and slightly more downhill. With slightly cooler temperatures and a little luck, I see no problem with 800 miles on one tank now. I filled up before and after until I could see gas in the filler but did not spill any. The computer showed two tenths MPG less than the calculated average. I used 12.748 gallons, once again proving that the car can hold 11.9 gallons in the tank and some in the plumbing. My car falls well within the filler/guage TSB but I think I'll pass. The last bar was blinking for 72 miles when I stopped for fuel which is substantially less than the 134 miles I went on it a few tanks ago, but I'm glad I stopped. All I can add is GO PRIUS!!

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's impressive.

However, it's probably not a good idea to fill the filler neck. I believe you can damage the vapor canister, and defeat part of the emissions-reduction system.

Oh, and I think Danny's still overhauling the site. That would account for the uploading problem.

3. rflagg

rflagg Member

WTG Ray!! You're pushing the limits more than I'll ever dare - and getting MPGs higher than I'll be able to achieve, but it certainly helps prove that not only can the Prius hit the EPA test marks in real world driving, it can also exceed them. Good luck trying to break that 800 mile marker - I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off before the year's end. Me, my goal is to keep the lifetime MPG above 50 for the winter months - right now my lifetime MPG is at exactly 51 for 15,000 miles, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to do so, but we'll see! Regardless, driving this car is downright fun as opposed to a chore with any other vehicle! :)

-m.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

I tend to agree with Ray - especially with the known QA Toyota engineers provide time and time again. I tend to think from the diagram that there's no direct way for the fuel to interfere with the charcoal cannister. In fact, when the car came out, Toyota was mentioning it's ability to go 600 miles on a single tank, which seems to almost invite people to get as much gas as possible in the tank to prove them right.

The only way we'll really know the answer to this riddle is A) a toyota tech who worked on this part of the car, B) taking it apart ourselves, and C)compairing a standard prius emission test to one that was often "filled to the top" and see if there's a major difference.

A and B aren't too likely, as C isn't anytime soon either - so for now it's just conjecture. But I promise you, I'll continue to fill my tank (fairly) full, and I'll be sure to let anyone know if because of this I encounter problems.

-m.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    under normal circumstances only a forced overfill of the tank would cause a backup into the cannister as the vent line to the cannister runs up and over the tank. if such a thing happened then gas would leak out of the filler tube when the gas in the vent line drained back down.

the only other way into the cannister is through the bottom of the cannister. this would also require an overfill situation as the level of the gas would extend above the filler neck...

iow, unless you force gas in under pressure, you cant reach the cannister. however, those who experience spit back, the spit back very well could have been the vent line being filled and draining back.

the vent line that runs above the filler value that is the outlet from the cannister also has a one way valve that prevents back flow.

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here are the pictures. Also, thanks Dave for your post. I saw the same thing and so didn't worry about filling her all the way up. Now could you reassure me on the coasting in neutral thing?

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    WTG RAY!!! BUT

i thought i would go for the fullest tank i have ever had. and so i went till i couldnt put in more than a penny at a time (in fact, i clunked in the last 30 cents a penny at a time...SLOW!) . i didnt spill any gas but for the first time, i did see some moisture in the filler tube...

now my gas gauge is broke...i have gone 176.3 miles so far on this tank and i still have 10 bars left!!

the previous tank was the one that i was gonna go at least 50 miles on the blinking bar, but had to make a trip to Auburn, so i had to get gas at my regular pump so the previous tank was only 521 miles.

but this time i am definitely going to go 50 miles on the blinking bar...for sure... guaranteed... i hope.

and as for coasting, sorry Ray... but many new cars should not coast at speeds above 20 mph without damaging the transmission.

although toyota says not to, and they will automatically as it is their policy to never recommend anything that doesnt conform strictly to the defined operation of the car.

but i wonder what if anything might happen if coasting and then dropping it back into drive. if the engine isnt spinning at the recommended rate there maybe excessive wear on the CVT that might not show up right away.

to be honest with ya, i wish toyota would give a good technical explanation as to why we shouldnt do it. but as i alluded to above, i think they dont say because they dont have a reason.

PS sooo Ray... when you getting a new personalized license plate?

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Dave,

I've gone 198 miles without losing one bar, and I think I only had 11.1 gallons in - it mostly had to do with the 55+mpg I was averaging, but I reguarly don't lose a bar at least until 150 miles, but always before 200. 198 miles was definately the furthest I've gone without losing a bar though. Also, on the past few tanks, I've been noticing I can get over 300 miles before the gauge gets to half a tank - of course we all know the gauge isn't linear, but it's still an impressive sight. :)

-m.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my "5 bar" mileage is usually at or above 300 too. well i will be happy with 600...

but then again, i may only be happy with it for a tank or two...

11. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    As far as coasting in neutral goes, I've been doing it for a long time now. As I understand it, there is no engagement or disengagement of any gears. The only issue I can think of is the speed of the generator. No biggee at moderate speeds. The engine may actually turn freely when in neutral, which would keep generator speeds down. The coasting is always for less than two miles at a time. I'm not sure about Toyota warning against this. Can you tell me where this warning appears? I'm looking for a specific warning about coasting in neutral, not a warning about towing with all four wheels on the ground. Isn't there something out there about not using neutral on loose ground?

License plate is still higher than my LMPG but I'm glad I didn't get the 51MPG plate that I thought would be accurate. Go Prius!

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the plate maybe higher than your LTMPG, but that may change soon...

besides, you should be more willing to forgive yourself for past excesses...

as for the "no coasting" rule, it is part of nearly all car manufacturers official policy as it is not the normal operational mode of the car to be in neutral while the car is moving. (think alfred hitchcock movie, mountain pass, cut brake lines...)

some of the GM K cars (i think... not sure of model) were not to be put into neutral at speeds over like 20 mph as they were front wheel drives and the something or another could be damaged....of course as most of us know, that would have been one of many broken things on that line of cars.

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok i have an update on my "broken fuel gauge"....

it is fixed?? now... however, the gas gremlins struck again. as i said i was up to 176.3 miles on my current tank and still 10 bars... well that was last night..

got up this morning and jumped in car and now have 9 bars...so lost one in the middle of the night..(I told Sweet Pree to stay home too!!)

ok, figured that 176 miles was too good to be true...well did some driving around and then bam bar #2 goes at before 191 miles (that is when i noticed it gone) so the 2nd bar only lasted about 15 miles...

now i know why i stopped tracking the mileage on the bars... because the data was all over the place.