1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

#8 leather smell - not good

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by foo, Jul 17, 2006.

1. foo

foo Junior Member

When I picked up my new #8 a couple of months ago, the interior had a pretty strong chemical-ish leather-ish smell, which the sales dude classified as "new car smell" and said it would go away in a couple weeks. He didn't BS me on anything else and it did actually die down after a couple weeks (including a couple days driving with the windows down). I'm a few months in now and it's not totally gone yet... I'm the daily driver and don't notice it, but when my wife drives it she think it's horrible and pulls her shirt up over her nose. <sigh>

This isn't even close to what I would consider a 'normal' leather experience, i.e. we looked at all kinds of luxury SUVs and sedans, we have an Odyssey w/leather, etc. They were all fantastic, esp. Lexus.

Anyway, on to the questions:

1. Anyone else get a #8 with a "stronger than normal" or noxious leather/"new car" smell?

2. If so, did the odor fade? How long did it take?

I'm considering going to the local full service carwash where they do interior scenting, but I'm wondering that' just masking some 'bad for me' low level chemical problem. </paranoia>. Hmm...

I'm also considering calling around to see if anyone has a #8 in stock that I can go check out to see if mine is 'different'....

--foo

2. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I have a new package 8 and my leather smell is very pleasant -- not overwhelming or chemical-smelling at all. I recommend you go to a dealership and do a sniff test on some other new '06s with leather.

3. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

I personally don't think 'masking scents' work very well.

If you are unable to find resolution and decide leather won't work out for you there are some options:

Several dealers have offered "Genuine Toyota" leather that they can install at the dealer before delivery (for just under $1000). I'm not sure what they do with the cloth covers that were removed, but I would hope they give them back to the customer.

(1) You might be able to find someone with a matching cover who wants leather (perhaps through PriusChat) Have the dealer *swap* the seat covers. You just might get some extra cash in your pocket.

(2) Find someone who *did* get the dealer leather, and have a set of seat covers just sitting in a box somewhere.

4. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine is 19 months old, does not have leather and it still has new car smell. Part of this is because there is a greater concentration of plastics and computer components in the cabin than many other vehicles. However the concern about smells from new vehicles should be limited to a concern about VOCs. New materials should have an odor, however that does not mean that the materials are emitting VOCs. I'm fairly certain that the Prius was designed to use as many components that would not eminate VOCs and materials that could be easily recycled when the vehicle had reached end of life.

To me the smell is akin to the smell you get when opening up the box on a new Mac. I have always enjoyed the new computer smell and the Prius reminds me of that every day.

I also enjoy the new leather smell, which would add another odor to the interior of a typical Prius.

I do not believe that the odors inside the vehicle are harmful to you, however I can understand if you find yourself not enjoying them or if they are overwhealming for your senses.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foo @ Jul 17 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]287461[/snapback]</div>
    No...mine has smelled really good (to me) since day 1.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(foo @ Jul 17 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]287461[/snapback]</div>
    N/A

7. meezercat

meezercat New Member

I don't think my #8 smells WORSE than other new cars, but it's definitely noticeable. I've had it 2 weeks and it is slowly decreasing.

The best thing you can really do about outgassing from the materials is to leave the windows open as much as possible (sitting in your garage, whatever). I didn't notice where you were before I clicked "reply" but I suggest you try to air it out.

Personally, I think the smell is more from the plastics than the leather. And the plastics are where the VOCs are going to be. But you get that in all cars.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Actually Toyota/Lexus leather emits no smell, the scent of leather is repulsive to many Japanese. The smell you're smelling is the ofgassing of plastics and seals.

9. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

SWO3ES is correct. Toyota is very aware of the new car smell issue and is a leader in using materials that will not overwhelm. New cars will always smell like new cars, and if yours smells bad then something is wrong. Maybe your dealership did you a "favor" and conditioned your seats for you during prep ?

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably the battery-plastic smell, as detailed on several
    other posts here. Smell back near the intake duct next to the
    right side of the back seat and see if it's the same smell any
    stronger back there.
    _H*

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I dont think its going to go away either. Ours still smells unlike any other car I've ever had, not bad mind you, but different. It is kinda like the smell of a new computer.

12. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I know that many of the NSX owners have complained that their leather seating does not have the traditional leather smell that most of us like.
    Manny

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Jul 17 2006, 08:59 PM) [snapback]287905[/snapback]</div>

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, if you go sit in a Mercedes then a Lexus, the Mercedes smells much richer from the leather. Lexus have a distinctive smell. Appealing, but not like something like a Mercedes. In fact, I bet from my time detailing cars I could tell you what luxury car I was sitting in blindfolded just from the smell...

14. whodat

whodat Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had my 2006 Prius package #8 since May 6th 2006. We drive with the windows partially opened and at home in the garage we keep the windows completely open. I have a reaction to chemicals and there is definitively outgassing of some chemicals. The seats do smell chemical like.