1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

800+ mile tank conquered

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by MattPersman, Jul 25, 2013.

1. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As I noted on the top 20 mpg thread I was thinking of trying for 800 mile tank this time around but my first 150 miles were on the interstate at higher speeds and poor economy. I should have gotten off an refilled and reset my meter but anyways I did not and kept going. Fast forward to today on my way into work I crossed the 800 mile mark on the tank.

The 0 miles till empty came on at 740. My mpg was 72.9 at that point. I decided to keep going, put a can of gas in the back just in case and ended up at 73.2 average. 27 mph average. 801.8 miles.

I had a couple goals this fuel economy season (yes summer is what I call fuel economy season) 1 was to do an 80 mpg plus round trip commute to work. I passed that with 83.4 mpg. 24.6 miles.
    Second goal was an 800 mile tank. I knew I would have to push it and it came easier than I thought being I thought I would need to be 75-76 mpg avg.

So here is the picture since I did not see an 800 mile club thread I made my own entry. Thanks for all the endless tips and suggestions I have read in many threads. I will probably never know what it's like to hit 900 or 1000 and I am amazed at that. And I am really amazed on the 99.9 mpg distances some people have put up as well. You guys and gals are tops and these cars are really amazing.

Oh yeah 2011 Prius II, oem goodyears around 50 psi. 19xxx miles on the car.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374771306.535593.jpg

retired4999 and spiderman like this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what were the environmental conditions like? physical conditions? etc.

3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations. :) The 800 mile club thread is here

800+ Mile Club | PriusChat

Unlike the Top 20 Record holders - it doesn't get much activity... I think its because its a bit more scarier thing to do. especially if you have a smaller gas tank, a bladder gas tank, or a much heavier car that doesn't have a Plug in port to recharge the battery...

I'm trying to do another +70 mpg / 800 mile tank this summer but not to update my current records here at PriusChat but because I've signed up for CleanMPG's 2013 Summer Fuel Efficiency Challenge ( Division B) --

FE Challenge 22 - Summer 2013 - CleanMPG Forums

4. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Environmental conditions I am in Indiana and the weather has been about 55 degrees to about 97 degrees.

Not sure what physical conditions mean but most roads are not much elevation change, pretty flat with gradual inclines or declines.

Thanks I will post in the 800 mile club

spiderman likes this.
  5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats.

A road trip or a closed circuit marathon may use elevation to assist in getting to 800 miles - but everyday driving is going to negate any elevation advantage because what goes down must also go back up. As for physical details that are important beyond the odometer mileage, vehicle type, gasoline fillup amount, and driving temperature range....

Last and current tank fill-up dates , type of driving (marathon or commuting, road trip, city driving, highway driving, etc), if you used an engine block heater(EBH), tire brand-model-size(e.g. Yokohama Avid s33 15 inch), and what was your AC/heater/defroster usage like.

I think readers would appreciate which driving techniques/skill hypermiling that you found most useful in helping you get to 800 miles per tank , whether you are using 100% gas or some form of ethanol mix gasoline, or if you are using any fuel efficiency tools like a ScangaugeII or Andriod Torque?

hope this helps

Walter

spiderman likes this.
  6. MattPersman

MattPersman Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok I will try to answer all the little stuff

I am not a huge scientific person and I know some are.

I filled up last for this tank on 6/19 in Batesville Indiana the shell station. Should be e10 87 octane gasoline. Last nights fill up 7/25 was at speedway in noblesville Indiana. 87 octane e10.
    When I fill my tank I let it stop at the first click, then I try to add .8-1.0 gallons. Yesterday before leaving work I added my 1 gallon from the can, drove 8 miles to the gas station and added 9.8 gallons to the first click. So the 1 gallon - the 9.8 still had maybe 1.3 gallons of fuel left when I hit 800?
    The first 150 miles were highway cruise control set at 77 in the 70 mph zone. After that the remaining miles were mostly commute miles which my commute is 24.6-26 miles depending on which road I choose to drive home. I drive most of the route on a 4 lane road which is 45 mph in part of it and 40 on the rest.
    I have a scan gauge II and monitor FWT, IGN, MPG, RPM
    I use pulse and glide as much as possible pulsing to posted limit or 3 or and gliding back down to a reasonable speed typically 35 in a 40 but many times higher like 37 cause it is a main drag from my side (north side) of town to Indianapolis in the morning and reverse on the way home.
    I try to use some of the battery power when I am getting towards the end of my route because the car will sit 9-10 hours and have to go through warm ups again anyways taking some of the power from the battery as is.
    I try to time all the round a bouts or rotaries as some may call them, there are not a ton of stop lights on my route makes for nice driving.
    No engine block heater, my car is in a garage and its been summer/spring weather all tank. Temp range from approx 55-97 degrees F
    Stock Goodyear fuel max tires size P195/65r15, checked pressure in the right front when I looked to verify size it was 47.5 psi.

Hopefully this will help any more specifics, I would be happy to try to answer. I see some other prius on the road on my daily commute, wave if you read this ! I am the one in the silver gen iii going slower in the right lane lol

Matt

7. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    jealous. If i didn't have my interstate drive I could totally do the same .. nice job!(y)