1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

800 Mile Tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by VABeachPrius, Oct 24, 2006.

1. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well almost, 753 miles at 74.8 MPG. Why is the last pip flashing so soon? Doesn't that work out to be 10.06 or so gallons of gas used. Even if the MFD is off by 5 percent or so I should still have a gallon or so left. I should still be able to squeak out 46 miles.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, carry a can of gas.

Why 800? Becuase, it would be my first. I don't think the next opportunity would be until next spring.

Thoughts?

Chris

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck, nothing wrong with pushing it for the sake of personal satisfaction.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that the temperature is cooler, I wouldn't be surprised by the early warning. If it was still summer, I would tell you to go for it but given the cooler temps, I'm inclined to say the car might be right this time. Tell us how it turns out!

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The bladder.

753 is insane. The most I've ever gotten on one full tank was close to 600 miles and I will never try it again. Can't trust the gauge anymore...

5. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The most I've ever dared push it was for a 675-mile tank. The last pip had been flashing for 30 miles or so and I was a might nervous by then.

How did you manage to achieve 74.8 mpg, VABeach?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You guys all beat me lol. My best is 525 miles.

7. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 25 2006, 12:02 AM) [snapback]337818[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I drive on very, very flat terrain most of the time. Salt Lake City and the surrounding valley areas are at the bottom of ancient Lake Bonneville (see link). This "flatness" provides for consistent driving conditions. Salt Lake City sits about midway up the Lake Bonneville graphic on its extreme right-hand side.

The lake has long since retreated to a fraction of its former self (now called, The Great Salt Lake, and depicted as light blue in the lower of the two maps), leaving behind large tracts of flat, unconsolidated strata and salt flats. Road systems built in the old lakebed offer the perfect laboratory condition to test and compare city and highway driving to the quasi-dubious EPA mileage estimates for the Prius. Most of my driving is ultra-flat freeway which makes higher-mileage tanks possible. Summertime multi-function-display numbers hover right around 55 mpg -- just what the EPA suggests for Prius freeway miles.

Utah Paleomap

8. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Oct 24 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]337725[/snapback]</div>

YOU CAN DO IT!

but bring the can of gas.

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 24 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]337818[/snapback]</div>
    That's about what I did the time I ran out of gas. The last pip flashed only about 5 miles in that case, and I could only get about 10 gallons in. I never trust the gauge anymore. I had been going uphill at the time though.

Dave M.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    make sure there's 3 gallons in that gascan, good luck man! ;)

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As long as your previous fill was 11 gallons or more then go for it, just ask Tony P Schaefer.

Wayne

12. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silentak1 @ Oct 24 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]337805[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I've had flashing bars at 450, so I can only assume the prior time I filled it up I didn't really fill it up. Somehow, running out of gas in a Prius seems even stupider than doing it in a regular car, now I have the habit of filling it up every Thursday, 4.2 gallons or somesuch.

13. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the days of our lives . . . 770 miles with a gas can in the back. I will either run out of gas today or break 800 miles. We shall see. Than I can put all this foolishness behind me. I am excited to see what the car can do next summer; this tank has been a mix of 70F and 50F weather, the car only has 2500 miles on it, and I will switch to synthetic oil soon (3/4 full).

Thank you for your support in my foolishness.

Fireengineer,

I had to do what I could to get some of the excellent tanks I have seen from you. :D

bee13,

I received my engineering degree from the University of Utah. It's a great place. Go have a slice a pizza for me at the Pie pizzeria up by campus. Pulse and Glide, anticipation of lights and traffic, 0% freeway, surburban route, 48/46 in the tires (I have been playing with this), no short trips, 18 mile commute to work(I have been working the best route as I learn more about the car). I can usually go 10-20 minutes without seeing any green regen cars on the consumption screen.

Thanks,

Chris

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Chris pump your tires to 50/48, might squeeze an extra mile from whats left in your tank. For the colder weather block all of your grill and get thee an engine block heater. With the tire pressures your running, Mobil 1 0W20 and a warm engine to start you can't miss high 60's MPG in all but the worst weather in your area. And I envy your route, mine is 18 miles to work and 20 miles back home but in heavy urban/inner city traffic.

Wayne

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bee13 @ Oct 24 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]337828[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh.. yeah, it's fairly hilly. My commute to school goes around the base of the hill but if I were to head downtown or just anywhere near my house, it'll be up the hill I go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ Oct 25 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]337904[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't run out of gas that time. The pip was blinking for about 20-30kms only and I had to drive up a hill to the station haha.

I only pumped 37 litres that time.

Hmm, yeah my pips are dropping like flies and it's still 10°C/50°F outside :mellow:

During the summer, the lower half of the tank would drop a pip every 80kms. My 3rd pip dropped after 50kms. I'm now down to two bars at 547kms when I should be closer to 600.

Good luck VA and tell us how it goes!

16. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I just had an idea. Why not get a spare Gas cap - modify it by putting a Schrader (air) valve adapter on it. Then you could carry an air compressor in the your car. Just pressurize the bladder for a few minutes when you pull into the gas station. This should stretch it to its maximum capacity (maybe higher). Release the pressure, and then fill the bladder with gas before it has a chance to shrink again. You should be able to squeeze at least an extra gallon in that way.

I'm not sure if the bladder has a vent. That would tend to spoil things.

Alternatively, how about a bladder heater?

On a more serious note. I just downloaded Firefox 2. It's actually watching my spelling as I input text. It doesn't like "Schrader" (even in quotes).

17. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Oct 25 2006, 03:09 PM) [snapback]338154[/snapback]</div>
    The bladder heater works for me (then again, I'm a senior citizen) :lol:

18. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Oct 25 2006, 03:44 PM) [snapback]338179[/snapback]</div>
    A warm diaper should do the job! :lol: :lol:

19. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 25 2006, 04:10 PM) [snapback]338198[/snapback]</div>

That depends! :blink: :blink:

20. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go for it!

Pulse & Glide if you need to.

Pain is temporary - the accomplishment is forever.