1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$800 to skip the 6 month wait list. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by makisupa79, May 31, 2008.

1. makisupa79

makisupa79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a dealer in my area (Cleveland ohio) that has a special Rent-to-own Prius program with Toyota. Bacially you have to rent the vehicle for 4 months before you can buy it out right.

During the 4 months you pay $900 per month to rent the vehicle, of which, $700 goes towards the payment of the Prius and $200 is the vig (for any gamblers out there) that the dealer pockets.

So after the 4 month period, you will have put down $2800 on the Prius and given $800 to the dealership. Its a hefty price to pay to avoid a waiting list, but since I would be saving $400 in gas and my trade in(2003 jeep liberty) would lose an additional $500 in value (if I put on 10,000 more miles in 6 months while waiting), I am thinking about joining this program. The dealer also throws in the perk of their Platinum membership...which includes free tires for 48 months.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just be patient? I have $500 down (refundable) at another dealership...but was told not to expect anything for 4-6 months, and even then, a package/color combo I want is a roll of the dice.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Relying upon your analysis, you will pay $800 to save $900, plus you will get free tires for 48 months. If you drive 20K miles per year, you will go through at least three sets of tires in 4 years or 80K miles.

Sounds like a no-brainer to accept this dealer's rent-to-buy offer, as long as there are no issues with the vehicle warranty period, hidden fees and charges, etc.

3. prius729

prius729 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds fishy but if it works for you go for it. Just make sure you read the "fine prints" carefully.

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you absolutely positively gots ta have it... then it's not that many coins to get started...:hungry::hungry::hungry:

I didn't pay to be on a list...

We picked up a Silver Pine Mica w/#6 the first day we went shopping for the car. I drove it home last night... spent less than 5 hours total.

It depends how far you are willing to travel, and how much coins you have for the down. :nod::nod:

5. Optimus

Optimus Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, when I saw the title of this thread (and before reading it), I was going to sugggest you figure out how much money you'd save in gas over that 4 months, and how much another vehicle will depreciate in that same time, but you've already done that. I bought my 2002 Prius (albeit used) earlier than I planned because gas was going up, and I could make up the extra money I was spending (rather then spending a little more time shopping around) rather quickly with fuel savings. That being said, the Prius vintage I had been looking at have now gone up in value about 40% since then, I wouldn't of been able to afford one had I waited.

If your math is correct, you are paying $800 extra now but are saving $400 plus $500 in depreciation of the Jeep. So, you are theoretically $100 ahead if you buy/rent now. Something else to factor in is that SUV's and trucks seem to be depreciating at an even faster rate, and it's "possible" the Jeep will depreciate even more (and perhaps it won't).

If gas goes up even higher (the most likely scenario), you will save even more than the $400, and the Jeep will likely lose more value than you expected. If gas goes back down, you are still saving a few hundred dollars on fuel, and the Jeep is still going to depreciate.

I would say go for it, seeing as you already had money down to get one anyway.

6. makisupa79

makisupa79 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I implied, but forgot to mention that with this program you can go and pick the prius up today. 0 waiting. Yes, it sounds a little fishy...but they were interviewed on the news last night as well (reporter left right as I pulled onto the lot), and it seems like a pretty legit program. They got into Prius sales before anyone else in Cleveland, and when they saw the demand rise they decided to convert a large portion of their rental fleet into priuses. After they are fleet cars for 4 months, they are able to sell them, so this program just lets you pick up a "fleet car" which you are buying. When you sign up, you sign a 1 month lease agreement, and and some kind of "intent" to buy purchase order. You let your insurrance company know you are renting a car for a month, and its covered. And then during the rental period you go in to the dealer ship once a month to sign another 1 month rental agreement.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i say it depends on your financing. putting off the purchase date goes against you. but at the same time. i be willing to bet that Priuses will be more valuable in 6 months...i actually think they will be MUCH more valuable.

you are basically putting $700X4 into an escrow account that THEY hold and collect interest from. you are so much further ahead to pay the $800 premium today and cash out the deal if you can.

i can also say since i waited 6½ months for my 2004 that waiting is HELL

to avoid the stress and anticipation, it might be worth the money just to maintain your sanity...i know it was very tough for me.

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, it sounds like the dealer is getting an additional Prius allocation by calling them rentals? Seems reasonable, however, please carefully review all contract docs to make sure you are not surprised later on.

9. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If it means you cut ahead of others on the waiting list (as opposed to your car coming from a different allocation) I'd be against it - basically you're encouraging the dealer to sell the cars above MSRP. Did I mention I'm on a waiting list at the moment? :D

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well - Cleveland is not that far from Pennsylvania, maybe you should make the trip!

Don't forget the free tire replacement for 48 months, I would say this is worth at least $700 to the OP given the relatively high miles that s/he drives.

11. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Might want to look around.
    One of our local dealers has 2 in stock.
    $24,700 & $28,900.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's no other fine print, and assuming that a lower out-the-door price is not to be had elsewhere, that does sound like a deal. But make sure that the replacement tires will at least be as good as the originals. There is lots of disagreement as to what "good as or better than the originals" means, so the surest course may be to get in writing that the replacements will either be identical to the original Integrities or the same as whatever Toyota ships on Priuses at that time.

13. charlotte

charlotte New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi everyone,

I have been on a waiting list for a Prius and have been in contact with several dealerships like everyone else. When I seen this post concerning this dealership and their "unique" program I had to join this message board and express my opinion.

I had questions and concerns reagarding them doing this rent to own program and was'nt to happy to hear that if I signed up for this program that I would HAVE to purchase the platium membership for $700. The dealership told me that since these are fleet lease vehicles that Toyota MAKES them keep these vechicles for 4 months before they are allowed to sell them. I just got off the phone with Toyota and this is a total LIE. They can sell these cars anytime they want Toyota does NOT require them to keep them as rentals for 4 months like they are telling us.

And as far as the platium membership you HAVE to purchase--- it's only if you buy a Prius.

Just wanted to put this information out for everyone to read before you make a decision on doing this rent to own.

I have been on a waiting list at a different dealership since May 1 and received a call over Memorial day weekend saying they had 2 coming in and that I could have one if I wanted, I passed on them because they werent what I wanted. I juat received a call today saying that another one will be here between the 6th and 11th and it's mine if I want it. So those of you that are on a list be patient and dont let these dealerships rip you off.

14. TomTom

TomTom New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i just bought new tires at 30,00 ( one year) and spent $435.00. Sounds like a very good deal to me.

15. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    the word "TRUTH" is not in a car dealership's dictionary. i'd say get in line and wait for ur brand new prius. or look around. honda will start making a new hybrid at the end of this year. you might wanna take a look at that too. but u know, its ur money so go where ur heart takes u. :)

16. charlotte

charlotte New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It may be a good deal but no one should be forced to buy a membership it should be a choice to purchase it.