1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

8000 Long trip observations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by icarus, Nov 6, 2007.

1. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just completed our first long trip in our 07 pkg 6. 8000 miles A few observations.

We fully expected or mileage to suffer, since we were loaded to the gills, and we would be driving fast through out the west. 70-80mph. Here is what we found. The average for the entire 8000 mile trip was 49 mpg. Our high tank was 53, the low 38.6. The low was with 400 miles of 65mgh head winds across the Dakotas. Close drafting a semi brought it up to the mid 40's, but the cross wind was so bad you couldn't keep the draft.

We found that the mileage was considerably better (counterintuitivly) in the mountains than on the Prairie. My guess is that the ice is more effecient going up hill due to the fact that it has to run, but on the long down grades it picked up porpotionaly more. We saw our highest displays on the mountain streaches. (All mountain driveing from Bellingham, Wa, to Forsyth Mt. via the northcascades highway, over the Idaho panhandle, Kalispel, Helena, no 4 lane)

We aslo noticed that as the outside temp cooled, the mileage went to hell. First mornng out, about 35f it took 2 hours for the car to get close to 50mph. I stopped and bought some foam and plugged the grill, and it warmed up and came up to average much faster. I had a bit of worries driving in the mountains with 55f days thinking it was too warm for a plugged (upper) grill. Not worries. At every stop, I checked how hot the engine was by feel. The block was only warm to touch, and the radiator was cold.

As to handleing complaints. The car does buffet around in the wind a bit, but no more than any other small car. (Try driving a VW Westfalia across the prairies!) It isn't a sports car on winding mountain roads, but thats not what it is for.

All in all the car was comfortable and nice to drive. The nav system was perfect, even in remote parts of Northern On Canada. The sound system was good, the seat good but not great. All our stuff fit in easily along with the dog! To anyone thinking that this is not a good car for transcontinental trips, I say "double the mileage of anything else with all the comfort and size! A no brainer!"

Icarus

2. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good summary. Thanks!

I did a couple shorter trips (~1000miles) and have the following observations: At highway speeds it is all about drag.

I did a trip with four people and comfortably full trunk (cargo cover easily fit over luggage). Following the speed limit (mostly) I'd guess we averaged over 50mpg. I did another trip with two people and probably about the same weight of luggage -- but we also had two bikes on bike rack (Saris T-rax) on the trailer hitch. I'd guess our highway mileage dropped to 38mpg - city/lower speed sightseeing was more like 45mpg.
    This is just my relatively non-scientific observation, but it meshes with other observations.

Now, just how much do those bug splatters really affect my mileage..

3. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How does the Prius do up long hills? Did you have any several mile stretches of 6% or higher grade? I'm thinking on taking the Prius out on a road trip (rather than my larger, 12mpg on Premium gas guzzler) but I want to make sure I can keep the 75mph speed limit going up hills. :) Will the Prius keep up? MPG on road trips isn't much of a concern for me. I'm balls to the wall when on the open road... then back on Monday I'll watch the consumption meter.

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mingoglia @ Nov 6 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]535800[/snapback]</div>
    It does hill just fine. North Cascades, Loup-Loup, Wauconda, Shermin in WA, 4th of July in ID, Pipestone, Bozeman in MT. No problem anywhere. I wouldn't say we did 75 up all the hills (by choice), but I think we sure could of come close.

Icarus

PS. The great part of the long hills are the downs. The Vantage hill by the Columbia River is the longest unbroken grade west of the Mississippi I believe!

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you change engine oil during the trip as you went over 5k miles schedule. Long highway drive should be easier on the oil.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Nov 7 2007, 08:29 AM) [snapback]536169[/snapback]</div>
    I changed the oil the day before we left and the day we got back. I run sythetic so 7k shouldn't be a streach.

Icarus

7. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I keep very careful detailed records regarding fuel economy. In September I drove from the Great Central Valley, through Yosemite National Park, to Owens Valley for the annual Fall Century bicycle ride. I am fully aware that fuel economy suffers due to changes in topography. I was surprised to find I obtained 68.3 mpg for that tank - doing nothing more than the usual prudent driving techniques combined with warm ambient air temperatures. I normally earn 52.5 mpg on level ground.

8. elcorazon

elcorazon New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Nov 7 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]536222[/snapback]</div>
    interesting. I wonder if I'd be doing better if I weren't in FLAT Illinois.

9. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(essaunders @ Nov 6 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]535762[/snapback]</div>
    My Question, I can't fit all my wife's luggage in the back and close the cargo cover. How did you do it with 4 people???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

did you have some "carry on" restriction like on the airlines???

B) thanks.......

10. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 7 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]536452[/snapback]</div>
    The original poster (me): We had two people and a large dog. One way we have always traveled is packing carefully. Rather than conventional suitcases we tend to pack in rubbermaid storeage boxes. With the back seats folded down, the dog gets 1/4 of the remaining flat area. Small stuff is placed behind the drivers and passengers seats. (There is a lot of space there if you use it. We put stuff in little rubbermaids there)

The remaining flat area gets 2 full sized and 2 1/2 size boxes, following the roof line. larger in the front, smaller in the back. The space in between holds the dogs rubbermaid with her food etc. Behind the rubbermaids, gotten to from the hatch, lies a computer case, motel coffe pot, cmaera case etc. (Under the floor, by the spare is filled with stuff we won't need for the trip)
    Finally, behing the drivers seat fits a small playmate cooler and s snack bag, and a small suitcase for motels.

You really can take a lot of stuff if you plan carefully.

Icarus

11. mrderik

mrderik New Member

Greetings -

Thanks for the account. I too did a little trip, around Alaska, this summer - 2,600 miles in a week. Mostly long flat stretches with some mixed hills. I experimented by SOLELY changing my speed between fills and here's what I found.

ave. 55mph = 58mpg
    ave. 65mph = 53mpg
    ave. 70mph = 48mpg

See a trend here? This is pretty much changing nothing else, I don't use the cruise control and tend to let the car slow by 5mph or so going up hills and tend to let it go over by 5mph going down. Of course the exterior temperature was absolutely a perfect 60-65F.

For daily commuting I average 55mpg - about 25 miles each way in the summer with an average speed of probably 50mph (about half at 45mph and half at 55mph). Now that it is winter, and I have the grill blocked, I average 45mpg.

So in short, temp and speed are BY FAR the biggest factor in mileage.

Derik

Attached Files:

12. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elcorazon @ Nov 7 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]536362[/snapback]</div>
    It's your short trips that are hitting your MPG, not the flat land. I'm in Illinois and currently averaging 56 MPG. There's also something to be said for driving technique. I think FireEngineer, who also lives in Illinois, frequently manages over 70 MPG on a tank with daily driving of significantly shorter trips than mine.

13. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrderik @ Nov 8 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]536720[/snapback]</div>
    Over the course of 8000 miles, we did similar experiments. We found the same general trend speed/mph. Iw as not as dramatic as your experiance however. Much of it was wind dependent, but the major drop off happened to us above 75 mph. The difference between 70 and 60 was negligable. When you have 800 miles of Montana and N. Dakota ahead of you, time counts for something too.

I used to make that drive many times a year in the days of the 55 mph limit. It took FOREVER to get across! Now when there is a construction zone and you have to slow to 55mph it feels like you are stopped!

I think that our average of 49 was pretty good all things considered.

Icarus

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrderik @ Nov 8 2007, 08:08 AM) [snapback]536720[/snapback]</div>
    Over the course of 8000 miles, we did similar experiments. We found the same general trend speed/mph. Iw as not as dramatic as your experiance however. Much of it was wind dependent, but the major drop off happened to us above 75 mph. The difference between 70 and 60 was negligable. When you have 800 miles of Montana and N. Dakota ahead of you, time counts for something too.

I used to make that drive many times a year in the days of the 55 mph limit. It took FOREVER to get across! Now when there is a construction zone and you have to slow to 55mph it feels like you are stopped!

I think that our average of 49 was pretty good all things considered.

Icarus

15. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Nov 7 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]536452[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, sort of. It was mid-summer (smaller clothes typically) so everone packed in a (max)carry-on sized bag. Four of them fit nicely across the back and the cargo cover still closed. Everyone had a "personal item" that easily fit behind the bags.

The under-deck space was useful for all the odds and ends that didn't need to be accessed during the drive.