1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

80K Optional Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by mr88cet, Oct 22, 2022.

1. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Short version:

Do you have suggestions for additional optional maintenance to improve MPG at 80K miles?

More detail:

I’m going to take our 2017 P.Prime in to the dealer for 80K maintenance soon. I’m driving it much more on gas than I used to. That, since I’m still working from home after the Pandemic, meaning that I don’t have an all-EV daily commute. Also because my mom is getting a bit old, so I need to take more trips to help her out with stuff.

So, do any of you have suggestions for optional maintenance to add to the usual 80K job, that could help MPG?

For example, I’m guessing that they might offer to clean the throttle body, but that that may not help much in terms of MPG in particular. But what about cleaning and/or gapping the plugs (or replacing them)? What else?

Thanks for the ideas!

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have no idea what 'optional maintenance' would be.

Can you tell us what procedures they wish to perform?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there really isn't much worth doing. have you changed the tranny fluid?

are your mpg's down? there can be many causes. plugs are extremely unlikely

4. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven’t brought it in yet, so they haven’t suggested anything yet at least.

By “optional maintenance,” I mean something beyond the standard, scheduled maintenance for 80K.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Clean the throttle body?

6. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks for the thoughts. Changing the transmission fluid (probably better described as “gearbox oil”) is one thing I plan to do this time around, yes.

Is the MPG down…? Not drastically, but I’m not sure I have a good point of comparison. I’m going from our house to my mom’s house and back (just under 200 miles each way) on about 80%ish of a tank. So, lower-mid-40s MPG at 75-80MPH. If the computer is to be believed, MPG reeeally plummets above 60-65MPH.

Anyway, best I can recall, that’s roughly what its always been, but not sure I remember from 2017. But, 80K miles, so I’m trying to stay ahead of the curve where possible. Also, even if the MPG isn’t down much, the $PG is!

7. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think that’s what they called it on our 2009 Prius. I interpreted that to mean cleaning gasoline deposits from the intake manifold.

Would an injector cleaning likely be of much value?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never seen the need for it if you use top tier gas, but you may get other opinions.

your mpg's sound about right for the speed, it's hard to overcome the laws of physics.

do you have good LRR tyres? pump them up a bit?

mr88cet and Trollbait like this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Would an injector cleaning likely be of much value?

They're only going to dump some Techronine or STP into your tank. IMHO; do that yourself to save some money.

Iridium plugs can't be easily regapped - more likely to damage it by trying. They don't fall-out of specs like old style spark plugs of the past.

Transmission fluid replacement is simply a preventive maintenance measure; to prevent transmission/transaxle failure.

Hope this helps....

mr88cet likes this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The best way to increase mpg is to slow down. It does not cost hundreds of dollars for worthless fuel treatments or unnecessary spark plugs and the extra time is insignificant versus 55-60 mph. Even the transaxle fluid is a feel good maintenance at this point.

mr88cet and CR94 like this.
  11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very unlikely, if it's running well, especially if you mostly use Top Tier fuel.

rjparker got it right.

Before you get to 100k, consider cleaning the EGR passages of the intake manifold, and a quick check of the EGR flow restriction number via OBD-II port.

Within reason, changing the engine oil more often than Toyota recommended is a form of "optional maintenance" many people feel adds to the life expectancy.

#11 CR94, Oct 23, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    mr88cet and Mendel Leisk like this.
  12. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    M
    Or just clean it.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    what's the problem with the mpg? Using hypermiling skills ( in very light to no traffic ) is the best way I've found to give the computers a kind of reset. But the reset doesn't last once the traffic starts speeding up.

Not really much anyone can do to get better mpg from the Primes. Great mpg reports here can be misleading at best.
    What's your lifetime mpg (if you still have it on one of your odometer or other two trip meters?

15. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, my wife's 2017 Prius gets way worst MPG than my 2021 Prius AWD despite me changing all all the fluid this summer (Radiator and traction battery coolant, Transmission, and brake fluid.) I clean our MAF sensors and Throttle Bodies every 25,000 miles or every 3-years, whichever comes first.)
    All these jobs are pretty easy so, personally, I wouldn't pay the high costs of the dealership but would get a good local mechanic to do them BUT instruct them to only use Toyota WS Transmission oil and Toyota Super Long Life Coolant. (Even if they claim their stuff is "just as good"....nope.)

mr88cet likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't bother with the nightmare egr access on gen 4, they don't clog. obd reading would be interesting as a data point

Dael and mr88cet like this.
  17. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It’s running on couple-month-old Ecopia Pluses at 42PSI all around. I’ve done some braking tests at that 42, and it doesn’t seem adversely affected.

I usually fill up at either Chevron or Exxon stations (87 unleaded), so should be good-quality.

Hmmm… Change out the fuel filter?

Thanks for the thoughts!

bisco likes this.
  18. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Absolutely agree, but probably not a great a idea to be driving 55-60 with a 75MPH-speed-limit zone and a fair number of people driving 80… Also, not sure if I want to add an hour to my one-way trip time.

nancytheprius likes this.
  19. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since I saw this, I think I’ll have them do the ol’ oil change every service interval:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't think there is a serviceable fuel filter. It's on the fuel pump, inside the fuel tank, in most cases.

If you have been performing the regular maintenance, anything extra likely isn't going to have a measurable impact to fuel economy.