1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$81 for a visual inspection of stuff!?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 13Plug, Sep 18, 2010.

1. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So here's the deal. I've taken my 08 to the Toyota dealership for all scheduled maintenance up 'til now. The car has 26K miles (43K km).

It has had a total of 3 oil changes (they call it a "lubrication" service), and 1 oil change plus inspection (called a "service" service). Now, a basic oil change is $39 tax in. The oil change plus inspection is $120 tax in. It was to be more but I rotate the tires myself when I put the winter tires on so they reduced the bill for that.

In looking at the Maintenance Service Report provided, it looks like the dealer tech visually inspected a bunch of things, topped up the washer fluid, and "cleaned" the engine air filter. So basically all that cost me an extra $81.

When I bought the car I fully intended to take the car to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance while it's under warranty for peace of mind.

Well I am starting to think it's just not worth it. The $39 for an oil change surely has some good profit in it but $81 to visually inspect some stuff that I can do is kind of ridiculous. The last oil change took an hour and 15 minutes from the time I went in to the time I left, and that was with an appointment. So not only do they charge me good, they also waste my time (I could change my own oil in like 15 mins).

I normally change the oil myself on my vehicles and actually like doing it. I have no problem doing minor vehicle repairs as well, my dad worked at a Ford dealership for 29 years so I picked up a thing or two about cars while growing up :)

So here's my questions:
    1) If I choose to just have the dealer do the $39 oil change in place of the more expensive $120 service procedure will it affect my warranty?
    2) If I do the oil changes myself how might this affect my warranties? (I would use the Toyota filter but probably QuakerState or similar 5W30 oil). Yes, I'll keep my receipts.
    3) I've heard of cases where something has failed just outside the warranty period but Toyota uses some goodwill and pays for part or all of the repair. Do you think this would still be an option if I changed my oil myself?
    4) Do you think changing the oil myself rather than having the dealer do it decreases the resale value at all? I suspect not.

I guess I need some reassurance that it's OK to just change the oil myself at 5K mile intervals. I know how to visually inspect for torn CV boots, leaks, air filter condition, etc. anyway.

Thoughts? Comments?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Toyota maintenance charge is higher than other brands.
    My Mazda CX9's (3.7L V6) oil change is only $29 with full-circle inspection, with which they post the results on your Mazda owner's page for record keeping.
    I don't understand why my Toyota dealer "usually" charge $35 just an "express lube" (i.e. no other inspections involved) on my wife's Prius. (less oil, 'mind you)

4. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That is why they are called "stealers" and you are the "suckers".

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1) This will have an adverse effect only to the extent that your periodic inspections failed to identify a problem which got worse due to lack of timely service intervention. It's not easy to think of such a problem so I wouldn't worry about that.

2) The only warranty involved would be the powertrain warranty with respect to the engine. If you maintain receipts for the oil and filters, no problem.

3) Toyota has on occasion given an owner a break on failures outside warranty, if the owner has a service history with a dealership, accepting premium prices for scheduled maintenance activities. Don't expect to receive any favors if you usually DIY.

4) To whom will you be reselling the car? If you are going to trade the car to a dealer, then I would say that a service history is irrelevant. If to a private party, then you'll have to think about what % of potential buyers will inquire about this. I personally don't think this is a big deal.

Good luck.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is not helping us locate alternate dealers or mechanics for you, just so you know. I might recommend a dealer 6000 km from you.

7. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are no alternatives in these parts. This is truck country, I'm in a smallish city with only a handful of Prii on the streets (probably a dozen or less in the whole city). I'm not looking for an alternative to my local dealer.

I'm tired of the local dealer wasting my time, charging too much, and overfilling the crankcase.

8. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. In all likelihood, I would be trading the car in to the local dealer on a plug-in version of the Prius in 2012/3.

An oil change at the dealer was $33 everything in 2 years ago, then it was $36 last year, now it's $39. They're doing nothing different so I guess they just wanted more profit ;-) Heck if they'd give me $33 oil changes I might keep going back.

I can afford it but I find it hard to swallow paying $81 for a visual inspection of things and a top-up of the washer fluid.... and I kinda want to do the oil change myself anyway :)

9. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Simply request an oil and filter change. They will do the "inspections" anyway in the hope of finding additional work!

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You'd think theres profit in a $39 oil change, but there really isn't. Its a loss leader to get you into the dealer so they can sell you more service, like the inspection.

What you need to do is make sure that everything that is in the factory maintenance schedule gets done. You'll find that at a lot of dealers the "packages" you buy, like a "5,000 mile service" include things that aren't in the schedule.

$130 for that package from a Toyota dealer is a lot...Lexus only charges $50 more than that. I think my Toyota dealer charges $90.

So does the cost of everything else in your life too pretty much. Prices go up over time...

11. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    $50 was for your short talk with the "service writer"
    $30 was the charge to drive it into the garage
    $1 was all they charged for the visual inspection.

The 1/2 quart extra oil they put in was a bonus!

12. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II