1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

810 Pounds Maximum Weight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by justin96039, Jul 2, 2006.

1. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just in case most of you don't know. The 2006 Toyota Prius has a max weight of 810lbs for both passengers and cargo. Four (4) passengers each weighing 195 lbs could only have a total of 30lbs cargo, keep this in mind when going to an airport. Thats only 7.5lbs per passenger!!! Toyota does not say anywhere on the vehicle sticker or the brochure of the 810lbs max. This is an issue that we should all be careful of in the Prius. If I would have known this, I would not have bought the car. I usually carry 4 passngers and cargo. My Toyota dealer had no clue of this fact, many consumers may not either. Its not just the Prius, the Civic can only carry just over 900lbs. JW

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well then, carry lighter passengers or only have 3 passengers and leave the centre unoccupied.

The limit is stated in the owner's manual. I believe it might also be stated in the door jamb sticker.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JWHybrid @ Jul 1 2006, 09:55 PM) [snapback]279965[/snapback]</div>
    Sure it does. I just checked. Look at the white door sticker on the driver's side on the bottom of the B pillar. It specifically says 810 lbs. 810 lbs is not very low for a vehicle in its class.

One of my former cars, a 2002 255 hp Nissan Maxima which is a lot larger than the Prius has a max weight of 882 lbs.

See my posts at http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=215116 and http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&showtopi...ndpost&p=215126 for other max cargo + passenger weights.

If 800-900 lb. max weights were a problem for you, this would be a problem w/a LOT of cars and even some SUVs. The most egregious is probably the Honda Element which looks like it can hold a lot, but if you get the 4WD version, the max cargo + passenger weight is 675 lbs.

4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

5. justin96039

justin96039 210,000 Miles on our Prius!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Jul 1 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]279986[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, never realized other cars were so low. However I feel that before you buy a vehicle this should be posted on the window sticker and the brochure. It is important. In my line of work we usually have 4 guys in the vehicle plus all the gear. I bought this for commuting. The salesman never said, well you can fit 4 adults comfortably, but with a maximum weight of only 810. Just seems like they should post these things to me. The Tundra posts the max it can tow on the sticker because its a selling point. I wouldnt have bought the car possibly if it would have had this information. You dont get the owners manual until after you buy the car.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JWHybrid @ Jul 1 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]279992[/snapback]</div>
    It's usually on the B pillar sticker of cars or possibly in a sticker under an interior cubby. My 350Z's max load of 450 lbs is on a sticker in the same spot as my Prius. On my former Maxima it was definitely either under the CD storage cubby or also on the B pillar. The low rating of the Element was definitely on the B pillar. I've pointed it out to people at auto shows before (who had no idea).

Actually, in same cases, owners manuals DO NOT list the max weight and refer you to the door sticker. I'm looking at the owner's manual PDFs for my 350Z and my Maxima and NEITHER lists it. They direct you to look at the F.M.V.S.S. label in the locations at the driver's side B pillar.

I was recently at a bookstore and looked that a Consumer Reports car guide on the newstand (not a book). It listed the max loads for all vehicles (they used to put it in a table in the April auto issue, but not anymore).

I'm definitely no expert on Federal Motor Vehicle regulations, but it looks like it's required to be located at one of several places. See http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations...section=571.110 starting with "S4.3 Placard " Looks like http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=8 talks about this too.

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I wouldn't worry so much. It's not like the car's going to explode or something if you load it with 811 lbs.

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In general, capacities are MUCH less than people expect.

This is actually more of a problem in SUVs which have a large volume interior.

People intuitively think that if there is space available, you can fill it up. However, it's amazingly easy to overload a SUV and besides the load issues, you've now raised the center of gravity more and hugely increased the rollover risk.

Here's some payloads. If a spec sheet tries to hide the payload capacity, just subtract Curb Weight from Gross Vehicle Rated Weight (GVRW). Everyone is required to give those numbers.

Honda Accord Hybrid - 952
    Toyota RAV4 (2005) - 968
    Honda Ridgeline Truck - 1549
    Chevy Tahoe - 1525

Which is more likely to be overloaded on a regular basis. Prius or RAV4?

Think how easy it would be to overload a Tahoe if you started trying to bring home Mulch and Pavers.

People always severly over-estimate their vehicles capacity. Probably just like they over-estimate their looks, intelligence, and driving ability :)

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not exactly sure what a "Max. capacity" means. The car won't go, it'll explode, it'll do immediate irreversible damage? More than likely it means it's performance will be severely hindered in challenging driving like mountain climbing and such. I'm sure maximum braking capacity and acceleration capacity is also an issue.

But I suspect that for a short trip such as to the airport exceeding the 'max' for a short non-challenging drive would be no problem at all.

10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is the maximum based on having the tires inflated to the pressures recommended by Toyota? i. e. 35 front/33 rear. From reading the sticker I suspect that it is. If so you might gain quite a bit just from increasing tire pressures to the maximum cold pressure listed on the tire sidewall, 44 pounds.

If you are going to carry quite a bit of weight on a routine basis I would suggest tires with more capacity. For example: the Goodyear Integritys 185/65R15 are 1168 lbs each at 44 psi, I replaced them with all season performance tires size 205/60R15 which have almost the same revolutions per mile and are rated at 1356 lbs each at 44 psi.

I realize spring rates might be another part of the reason for the maximum weight figure but better tires will definitely help.

11. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 2 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]280087[/snapback]</div>
    It would appear capacity and pressure are related.
    The capacity sticker specifies tire size and pressure (see image).
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=module&...&cmd=si&img=207

By the way, did I say I love this car! :D

12. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I actually once fully loaded the car with 4 passengers + myself + a trunk full of luggage. Must have been VERY close or maybe exceeding the 810lb limit. Well, the car did move but my mud flaps were an TWO inches above the ground. What worried me most was that the car was heavily tilted on the back so the headlights pointed somewhat to the sky blinding others.

Oh, and it must have been pretty hilarious to look at my car from the outside :p

I didn't feel a difference with braking distances, partly because i wasn't doing 60-0mph runs. I'm sure maxing out will probably increase your braking distance by 100%! (not proven, just my opinion).

13. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

I wouldn't worry much.

These maximum load limit stuff usually incorporate very conservative safety factor anyway. Even if you happen to drive with a bunch of big people and a full 100 gallon aquarium in the hatchback once in a while, the car won't.. blow up or anything. Just use common sense, and don't stuff up the car with lead balls or anything...

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've certainly been over the limit. And 250 of those pounds was even on the roof. We drove this way 7,000 feet up in elevation. We had three people in the car plus food and drink for 15 people for six days... plus the full cargo box (our clothes and toys) and the kayak on the roof. Only bad thing that happened was my rear spoiler melted from the exhaust that was diverted by my Curt hitch :( What amazed me the most is how *little* I felt the extra weight and air drag of this situation. The car handled and braked amazingly well still.

[​IMG]

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And you wonder why people insist they need an SUV?

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 2 2006, 06:24 AM) [snapback]280059[/snapback]</div>
    I kinda agree w/the above and would think that there's probably some engineering margin built in so that it shouldn't be too bad to slightly overload a vehicle. I'd imagine the max load weight is determined by a bunch of stuff like the max stress the structure tires, wheels, suspension components, brakes, transmission, engine, etc. can handle. Afte all, we do go over dips and bumps which would stress everything a lot more than going over level ground.

As for braking capacity and acceleration, well even for MUCH more powerful cars and those w/much better brakes, their capacities aren't necessarily that much higher either. As I mentioned, my 255 hp Maxima's max load was 882 lbs and my 287 hp 350Z (which has excellent brakes) is rated at 450 lbs. The latter is only a 2 seater w/almost no cargo room anyhow.

17. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JWHybrid @ Jul 2 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]279965[/snapback]</div>
    Of course, the Prius is equipped for five people, so at 810 pounds that would average out at 162 pounds each and no baggage (which would include extra washer fluid, or other stuff you might have in the back.)
    On the other hand, you probably would have difficulty fitting five 200-pound people into the car.
    I overloaded a Jetta a few years ago and wound up replacing the struts.

18. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Jul 2 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]280145[/snapback]</div>
    A full 100 gallon aquarium would weigh almost 1000 pounds (at an average of 10 pounds per gallon, which includes the rocks and such in the tank...)

I used to move tanks, and I would never move a 'full' tank....

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 2 2006, 04:23 PM) [snapback]280265[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius IS my giant SUV. Bigger than I need most of the time.