1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

83% SOC last noc

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Apr 14, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coming home from a banquet last night it was pretty cold and the heat was on to keep the windows defogged. I was on the highway going 65mph as I approached my exit.

I let off the accelerator just a bit before cresting a hill knowing that the highway descends to an exit that continues to descend. Battery SOC was about 64% as I began regen coasting.

Speed dropped to around 50mph as I entered the exit and began to regen brake as close to 60amps as possible...I was able to maintain that almost all the way to the end of the exit ramp. As I came to a stop at the end of the exit CAN-View showed the SOC at 81%..while I sat waiting for traffic to go past it rose to 83%.

Of course the ICE continued to run...but didn't do the cycle off/on routine. I EV'd about 100 yards to the next stop light as traffic passed and dropped to 81% again. As I accelerated away there was a clear effort to deplete the battery with 40-60 amp drain while accelerating.

It's noteworthy that the OAT was about 37-38 degrees F and that the MG2 Inverter temp peaked around 86 degrees F even after the prolonged braking/regen that got the battery up to 83%. That's the highest SOC I've ever seen my battery get.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 14 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]423325[/snapback]</div>
    i have had mine up that high before as well and was also at freeway speed. have this one hill going into Puyallup that is very steep and one can coast in drive at 65 mph (frequently need to brake to keep speeds reasonable) wondering if sometimes the charge rate is fast enough that the 80% level can be passed for brief periods. once i got off the freeway near the bottom of the hill and actually maintained a charge over 80% for nearly half a mile at street speeds due to a slight downhill slope on part of the ride.