1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

85K miles and steering is loosening up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dgw, Sep 1, 2009.

1. dgw

dgw New Member

My steering is getting a little looser as the miles have gone by to the point where the amount of play exceeds the amount of steering wheel movement req'ed to keep the car tracking straight, which is to say, not that much, maybe 8mm at the steering wheel rim. Is there an easy, economical way to fix this? Is there an adjustment in the steering or is it just wear and tear on all of the various couplings and joints between the steering shaft and the wheel?
    I've read many threads about people complaining how poorly the Prius tracks on the freeway, but that hasn't been my experience until recently. The car just kind of floats around now and I'm finding myself unintentionally moving from one side of the lane to the other.
    I am about to replace the suspension (again) with another TRD suspension kit and get new tires (6th set) and that will help, but there is now this play in the steering and I would like to know if that can be improved.

Thanks

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Gen 1 or 2?

3. dgw

dgw New Member

Sorry, 2005, Gen 2.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds potentially dangerous , I would check that out by a professional.

That being said , a quick tie rod check is to simple hold a front tire on the side and shake/twist side to side. I've found bad tie rods on other cars, and you don't even have to jack it up on these relatively light cars, though that wouldn't hurt. If you've replaced the suspension, you probably know this, and that some toe-in might also help firm up direction stability. I wouldn't say the system is very complicated, (not that i've had it apart) someone should be able to isolate where the play is coming from.

6th set of tires...... how many miles? / Sorry just read the heading. 85k and 6 sets means something is really off. I've been impressed on how long my tires have lasted on a mail route, and at my rate, I'm beating your tire length of wear,perhaps doubling it.

I did some rereading, you have 85k on 5 sets of tires, about to buy the 6 set.
    I do try to take it easy when driving , I don't really trust other drivers, have no reason to push it.

5. dgw

dgw New Member

Well, my typical daily drive is tough on any car, I live off hwy 1 in CA, and go up and down my hill 5 or 10 times a day. The hill is steep and twisty and really is a killer on tires, suspension and brakes. I'm lucky to get 20k miles on a set of tires, and they're pretty bald by then.

As for the looseness in the steering, it's pretty standard for cars to get a little sloppy as they age, my wife's car (2001 TT) has 56k miles and her steering has actually more play than my Prius, and my son's 98 Integra is sloppier again with only 65k. But there is something a little different about the Prius's steering that makes it harder to keep straight. Haven't been able to figure out what that is.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since this has potential safety implications, I suggest that you visit your local dealer or else a good independent suspension shop. Sounds like you do have some wear in the steering system. Good luck.

7. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Noticed this recall concerning 04 though some 06 vehicles, something I thought I should remind everyone, and may apply here.
    2004 Through Early 2006 Prius Steering Intermediate Shaft Replacement Safety Recall Notice (SSC 60C) Received June 30, 2006; serviced: July 19, 2006

“In certain 2004 through early 2006 model year Prius vehicles, due to insufficient strength, a portion of the Steering Shaft Assembly may become loose or may develop a crack under certain operating conditions, such as when the wheel is turned forcefully to the locked position at low speed or the tire contacts roadside curbs while driving. If this condition has occurred on your vehicle, in some cases due to the components becoming loose and possibly rattling, an abnormal noise may be heard from the area of the Steering Shaft Assembly. The Steering Shaft Assembly consists of the Intermediate Shaft and Sliding Yoke which connects the steering wheel to the steering gear box. If this condition has occurred on your vehicle, in the worst case, you may lose vehicle steering control, thus increasing the possibility of a crash.â€

8. BigRed

BigRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "If this condition has occurred on your vehicle, in some cases due to the components becoming loose and possibly rattling, an abnormal noise may be heard from the area of the Steering Shaft Assembly. "

My 2006 (45K miles), 11/05 build has developed a steering shaft rattle. I am trying to convince someone this is the same problem the recall was supposed to have fixed. I think mine was only inspected in the recall.

9. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An intermediate steering shaft won't cause this problem.

It sounds like you may have worn tie-rod ends, either inner or outer. Raise the front end of the car up, grab the tire at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions, and simultaneously pull and rock the tire from side-to-side. If there's play, check the if there is movement from the inner or outer tie rod ends.

Be sure to check the control arm bushings and the ball joints as well. When the ball joints are unloaded, pry against them with a prybar. There should be no movement. The control arm bushings should not have any cracks, either.

10. BigRed

BigRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had the dealer replace the 45260-47052 Shaft Assy, Steering - the clunking is gone.

11. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Aloha The Critic. I have a steering problem in my '07. Slight rattle at slow speeds. Had the inner tie rods replaced and car aligned which helped the clunk and rattle a lot, but when the car is sitting and I move the steering wheel back and forth, I hear a small rattle which amplifies into a clunk when on a bumpy road at low speed. I am thinking it needs a bushing in hte rack or maybe just the steering shaft assembly that was supposedly fixed in 2006. Any help will be appreciated!

The Critic likes this.
  12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It can be tough to find a problem like this but I would start with a visual inspection of all front end components with the car front end raised and have someone in the car and rotate the steering wheel back and forth both looking and listening for any unusual sounds or extra movement in all the steering components. Sometimes you can lay your hand on different parts and actually feel the movement. I would do this with the car in the ready position after engine warm up while the engine is not running.

The alternative is to take it to a shop that does front end work and let them diagnose it and decide if they find something whether it is something you want to do as a DIY project.

The Critic likes this.
  13. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Without seeing the car in person, it is hard to say. If the tie rods are tight and there is no play in any of the steering and suspension parts, then the intermediate steering shaft would be the next area to look into.

14. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tightened the 3 bolts visible from underneath the dash... IE, the only 3 -12 mm bolts as part of the intermediate shaft that are visible from under the dash. They were all tight and the rattle persists! I think i have ruled out the intermediate shaft by feeling that the knock is coming from someplace lower down... Is there a bushing that may have gone bad at the end of the rack & pinion? I am unfamiliar with any recalls regarding the replacement of the intermediate shaft, and I am hesitant to go further without knowing someone who has been down this road, so to speak, and knows the terrain. I have raised the car and do not find any problems with the suspension either. Replaced struts a month or so ago along with the inner tie rods... Can somebody smart point me in the next direction? Do I need to remove the rack to get at replacing the lower steering shaft? Or to check the bearing/bushing at the end of the rack? Thank you in advance!

#14 PapaWill, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had a rattle on a non Toyota car years ago and to my surprise it was an inner tie rod going bad. I couldn't believe it would make so much noise and that car was still under warranty. I have an unpaved driveway and that is when I noticed it for the most part.

Recheck all the work you have already done and check tie rods by grabbing each wheel at the 9 and 3 o'clock position with the tires off the ground and shake back and forth forcefully.

16. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    padroo, tie rods were just replaced!

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am know to miss facts.:)

18. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

19. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually it is the joint on the intermediate steering shaft that develops slop.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. PapaWill

PapaWill Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK assuming it is the intermediate steering shaft that needs to be replaced, is that doable without taking apart the steering wheel or not? I feel like I am honing in on the issue as I could also feel the slop in the u-joint when I put one hand on it and the other moving the steering back and forth. Damn, what would I do if I was not retired?