1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

85th Geneva Auto Show Toyota Video Previews More Than Just Safety Technology ;)

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Is this the next hybrid down the line? A refreshed 2016 Corolla + Hybrid? Could be just for Europe and Asia.

bwilson4web and Sergiospl like this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The instruments show a charge display so maybe......

4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Neat stuff. I wonder if it'll be standard, or if you'll have to pay a tech package to get those toys. And if so, how much.

Bigger question is, how well with that stuff work in winter when snow is covering the signs so much you can't even see the shape of it any longer. And what about when the car can't "see" the lane markings on the road due to snow/ice or it's just really faded out?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    We have a camera system on our new Outback and yes it can't (miraculously) see lines covered by mud, fog, or heavy rain. Luckily I can't verify (grin) but owners manual also says if windshield is obscured by snow or ice system will be impaired or won't work.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You shouldn't be using cruise control or doing the speed limit under those conditions anyway. That being said, I did use DRCC in LONG mode during a stretch of highway with no streetlights and with blowing snow and occasional zero visibility. Between that, the red lights of the semi in front and the navigation system in "Dual Map Mode" with full zoom (so I can see the curves) on one side and 400m scale on the other (to see ahead), that's about as best I could do with the situation and the technology I have.

Same as the radar system in the Prius. I never seen it give the error message even when it was covered in ice from freezing rain that just started. I've only seen the one when you switch the wipers on HI. "Cruise control cancelled due to inclement weather" or something like that.