1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Update of Rosen unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by us_matrix, Jan 19, 2011.

1. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I just installed Rosen HU and rear cam over the weekend. The HU installation was very straight forward. The rear cam required more time to remove all the panels and ran the cable to the hatch door.
    Anyway, I am not going over all the same steps again since it has been posted before but I like to share what I found from the Rosen unit but has not been reported or confirmed before.
    The Rosen unit I got from ADC Mobile (Walt) DOES support iphone 4 for playing music and browse list of songs, artists, albums etc when connecting with the supplied Rosen ipod cable as well as charging.
    NOT ONLY THAT, it also DOES support BT music over iphone 4 without connecting the supplied Rosen ipod cable which is very cool :rockon:. See the pictures below for iphone 4 via BT music play and via ipod cable (show list of songs).

I guess may be the unit I got just had the latest firmware installed by Rosen..... Overall, I am very hapy with this Multimedia system. It gave me the best factory looking compare to others after market units.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. RufusNapkin

RufusNapkin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Price paid for unit?

3. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is firmware user upgradeable? 'And does anyone know where can it be downloaded?

4. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rufus - Just pm you

Not sure if the firmware can be upgradedable by user. May need to contact Rosen about that.

1 person likes this.
  5. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And I get no price PM? :(

6. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I mean to Rufus.....

Need to check with Rosen about the firmware.It would be great if it can download and updated by user.

7. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guess I'll go with trailduty.com... excellent price.

8. Kentwang

Kentwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got my from trail duty today. It came with iPod cable. I will try to install it tomorrow. Hope my iPhone 4 work.

1 person likes this.
  9. RufusNapkin

RufusNapkin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How does the Satellite radio option work on these? Additional unit required?

10. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I purchased mine from TrailDuty at the end of December. Best price around ($799), and although they didn't advertise it, the unit also came with the iPOD cable.

Shipping was free and TrailDuty had the unit at my house within a couple of days. As others have reported, the install took no more than an additional hour or so.

I have had some issues with poor GPS reception but my antenna is currently stuck under the dash because the supplied cable wasn't long enough to mount it on the roof. I have an extension now but haven't yet installed it.

I also ordered the rear-camera cable and sensors from RoadGiant. Should arrive today, maybe I'll have time to install over the weekend.

I don't have an iPhone 4 but all other iPods I have tried work fine. BT has connected to our phones just fine but I haven't tried to see if I can get the unit to read contacts. I don't use Satellite radio so I can't comment on that feature but so far the unit has far exceeded my expectations.

1 person likes this.
  11. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking to get it from Trailduty but ADC mobile offer 3 yrs warranty plus free ipod cable and rear camera cable. So, i decided to pay little more for that.

Regarding the GPS antenna placement, I did little differently than others (Thanks ADC mobile for the advice). I attached the GPS antenna under the dashboard (right above the steering cloumn). I lift up the dashboard panel by little and just able to get my hand in to attach the GPS antenna with double side tape from the inside of dashboard. I checked the GPS signal and it got full bar most of the time. However, signal loss everytime when i drive through tunnel but come back up as soon as its exit out of the tunnel. Did you guys have that problem?

12. Savantster

Savantster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you "paid a little more" for it, then it wasn't free :cool:

13. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would be very interest for the backup sensor. Are you going to paint the sensor to match the factory bumper color? Let us know how it goes.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the Rosen post. I'm looking for a NAV unit.

Is there a consumer website with ADC Mobile products? All I can find is their wholesale site for dealers with no prices.

Would you explain the lift up "dashboard panel" part for us? Did you have to loosen any fasteners to lift it up?

How good is the weak signal radio reception (AM and FM)?

15. us_matrix

us_matrix Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is the web site and you can call Walt direclty. He will tell you everything about the installation. I paid $870 inlcluding shipping and paypal fee.

From the link below in Page 9. Section 8. I removed left hand side switch panel (2) where you adjust the brightess of the guage and the vent (3). After that, I lower the steering wheel and lift the dashboard up by little. Tuck the GPS antenna under the dashboard with double side tape (above the steering column)

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/legacy/To...s_TNS510_LHD_PZ445_00333_00_AIM_001_664_1.pdf

I would say the AM/FM reception about same as factory.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kentwang

Kentwang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this Rosen capcable of playing satelite radio, you just have to buy an optional cable to connect from oem cable to the unit. (that is why I have a cable off my original unit without connect to any thing).

Trailduty.com came with ipod cable free. everything plug and play.

Iphone 4 got warning that this accessory not compatible with this iphone, some thing like that, but it will play and charge, control my iphone music from Rosen, I didnot have any video in my iphone to test it, but on the screen it have video option for ipod or iphone.
    very happy right now, will test it out later on how to use gps....

Next step will shop for ebay camera,less than $20 (plus optional cable to convert Rosen to ebay camera).

17. LovingLife

LovingLife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been following the Rosen threads for awhile and still had a couple of questions regarding them. I fired off an email to Walt of ADC. Here's his answer

It does look like no matter who you buy this from you want to make sure you have the latest firmware loaded on it.

18. sitruc

sitruc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I too have been following, not only the Rosen threads, but the other HU installations. It appears from exhaustive reading, that the Rosen's main attraction is the ease of upgrading, the oem look, and basically plug and play installation. The price isn't an exceptional bargain, but not bad either. I'm looking for something that will improve not just the sound of the crappy non JBL oe system, but also a better tuner. It appears, if I'm not mistaken, the Kenwood fills this bill, but of course, the trade off is fit and finish, along with perhaps some wiring difficulties. I am mechanically inclined, but not the most patient with details. LOL I'd be interested to know from those who have installed them, is my concern with the tuner and sound justified?

19. taylorgso

taylorgso taylorgso

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Added the Sirius unit last week. If you order the Rosen Sirius unit you have a choice of two packages. One comes with a cable connector for Sirius only; the other comes with a combination cable for Sirius and Ipod. If you want to retain Ipod/Iphone capability, you MUST get the package which has this cable.

After installation, the unit works great. I ran antenna under the dash, up under the door moulding, and attached it inside next to the Right Front Opera window. I have sirius on two other cars - both with outside antennas, and this arrangement works just as well, if not better, than the outside antennas, and certainly a lot easier to install.

20. bAthinAzn

bAthinAzn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II