1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

9/11 Images

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Sep 11, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why are they not played anymore on television? The images of the Pearl Harbor attack are played over and over again, why not the images of 9/11:

The planes slamming into the buildings...
    The people jumping from the towers...
    Of the Palestinians celebrating in the streets...

Why not? Are we trying to hide? Are we trying to forget?

2. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same reason we don't show caskets coming home from Iraq.
    self protection of our fragile little minds (or our kid's anyways).

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 11 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]510769[/snapback]</div>
    Actually i think there is a difference - the caskets are the personal property of the family who lost their loved one in the service of this great country. Any use of that image of that casket would require the permission of the family. Another difference is the use of caskets containing American soldiers would be as a propaganda tool that would be used against this country whereas images of the attacks of 9/11 would be images representing the attack on our country and would represent images that would serve to remind us of the enemy we face. The caskets... those who volunteered to protect us..... the 9/11 images.... those who want to murder us.... get the difference.

And I am not against the use of images of American's killed in action or wounded in action if that is ok with them and our armed forces and our lawmakers - I am totally for repeating the images of 9/11 on a regular basis to keep reminding Americans what we are up against.

We should have been playing over and over again the attack on the WTC in 1993...... and when OBL and his ilk declared war on us in the 1990's we should have made the public very aware with all the images possible what our enemies are willing and wanting to do.....

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Any use of that image of that casket would require the permission of the family"
    And the use of burning victims in the WTC is different? Unloading caskets from cargo planes don't show names, so I don't see how it's different. If it show the soldier's name, I agree it would be different.

" the use of caskets containing American soldiers would be as a propaganda tool"
    "We should have been playing over and over again the attack on the WTC... made the public very aware with all the images possible what our enemies are willing and wanting to do" You just condemned a gruesome image as a PR/propaganda tool, then proposed using a different gruesome image as a PR/propaganda tool.

That is no different. You feel (understandably) that people dying in the WTC should be used as a PR tool. Some feel showing unmarked caskets coming home should be too.
    I don't have a problem with either as news items/remebrance. I do have a problem with either used to sell something, esp for $$$.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen the shots of the WTC many many more times in the past 2 years than I have any shots of Pearl Harbor. Today esp. they've shown many of the classic footage we all stared at for days and days when this happened.

6. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think there's a certain amount of trying to be respectful to those who lost loved ones in the towers, the Pentagon & in Shanksville. I remember reading a story about a teen girl from the Monmouth/Ocean County area (I'll be darned if I can remember what town) who lost her father on 9/11. If she wanted to watch TV, the only station she watched was the Food Network because it was the only station she could guarantee wouldn't show images of her father being killed.

I agree that we should remember the day & what happened. But is a graphic reminder more important than not tearing the scab off of those who are still grieving?

7. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 11 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]510786[/snapback]</div>
    Your statement makes no sense at all.
    A few weeks ago you were ridiculing Barrack Obama for wanting to pursue Osama Bin Laden.
    9/11 HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IRAQ.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    same reason i avoid lifetime television when we have cable...

the fake scenarios in those cheesy feminine movies about a woman and her children being beaten by her husband? some days those can completely shut me down into a nonfunctional zombie.

and that situation never killed anyone close to me. and that movie is not real.

9. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 11 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]510760[/snapback]</div>
    Hell if you miss seeing it so much, just whip out your $20 bill.

[​IMG]

10. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 11 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]510760[/snapback]</div>
    Hell if you miss seeing it so much, just whip out your $20 bill.

[​IMG]

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 11 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]510791[/snapback]</div>
    I will agree with you - that if you see identifiable people on 9/11 images they should be withheld unless the family agrees to their use. I still think the images of those planes flying into and hitting the WTC's and the Pentagon and the field in PA should be shown over and over again. It is not as though those that perpetrated those dastardly deeds are going to stop!

I also see it differently - I would give more latitude to the use of PRO American propaganda when used to remind us that we need to remain vigilent than propaganda that could be used against US troops in harms way - no matter what the conflict - no matter who was the President who sent them there - any time US troops are in harms way - i would be very very opposed to the use of propaganda against them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 11 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]510894[/snapback]</div>
    Nice way to look at it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 11 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]510840[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever - and I remain amazed at Obama for wanting to start a war with Pakistan - tell me - you would think it ok to invade a sovereign country - you would send troops into another country to kill without that countries permission? Mind you, that country in reference has nuclear weapons.

You would sanction actions against "targets" in:
    Russia?
    Syria?
    North Korea?
    Iran?????
    Cuba?

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Sep 11 2007, 04:50 PM) [snapback]510791[/snapback]</div>
    I will agree with you - that if you see identifiable people on 9/11 images they should be withheld unless the family agrees to their use. I still think the images of those planes flying into and hitting the WTC's and the Pentagon and the field in PA should be shown over and over again. It is not as though those that perpetrated those dastardly deeds are going to stop!

I also see it differently - I would give more latitude to the use of PRO American propaganda when used to remind us that we need to remain vigilent than propaganda that could be used against US troops in harms way - no matter what the conflict - no matter who was the President who sent them there - any time US troops are in harms way - i would be very very opposed to the use of propaganda against them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 11 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]510894[/snapback]</div>
    Nice way to look at it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Sep 11 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]510840[/snapback]</div>
    Whatever - and I remain amazed at Obama for wanting to start a war with Pakistan - tell me - you would think it ok to invade a sovereign country - you would send troops into another country to kill without that countries permission? Mind you, that country in reference has nuclear weapons.

You would sanction actions against "targets" in:
    Russia?
    Syria?
    North Korea?
    Iran?????
    Cuba?

13. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]511185[/snapback]</div>
    And what about the families of those people who aren't identifiable? All the victims on the planes and in the buildings that we can't see? Do their families have no say in the matter?

Every time you show one of the planes slamming into the WTC, you're watching innocent people get killed all over again. Just because you can't see them, doesn't make it any less real. Or any less painful for their families. It's hard enough to get on with your life after a tragedy affects your family ... imagine how hard it is to try to move on when the images of your loved one being killed are shown over & over again.

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 09:01 AM) [snapback]511185[/snapback]</div>
    And what about the families of those people who aren't identifiable? All the victims on the planes and in the buildings that we can't see? Do their families have no say in the matter?

Every time you show one of the planes slamming into the WTC, you're watching innocent people get killed all over again. Just because you can't see them, doesn't make it any less real. Or any less painful for their families. It's hard enough to get on with your life after a tragedy affects your family ... imagine how hard it is to try to move on when the images of your loved one being killed are shown over & over again.

15. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for at least acknowledging it as "PRO American propaganda".
    I understand your POV and respect it. You are passionate about it and I don't want to deter that from you, as I do respect your passion for the good ole US.

It just seems you feel gruesome images are OK if helps push the US plan. If it calls the plan into question, than it is the work of "America Haters".

But many of us see the danger of only showing one side to every coin, and don't think our media should serve as strictly a propaganda tool. It is a dangerous path to go down.

16. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for at least acknowledging it as "PRO American propaganda".
    I understand your POV and respect it. You are passionate about it and I don't want to deter that from you, as I do respect your passion for the good ole US.

It just seems you feel gruesome images are OK if helps push the US plan. If it calls the plan into question, than it is the work of "America Haters".

But many of us see the danger of only showing one side to every coin, and don't think our media should serve as strictly a propaganda tool. It is a dangerous path to go down.

17. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]511185[/snapback]</div>
    Lie lie lie David. He doesn't "want" a war w/ Pakistan. Isn't interested in war w/Pakistan, never said he wanted war w/ Pakistan. He said he'd strike specific AQ targets within Pakistan's borders if Pakistan failed to engage them themselves.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Sep 12 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]511185[/snapback]</div>
    Lie lie lie David. He doesn't "want" a war w/ Pakistan. Isn't interested in war w/Pakistan, never said he wanted war w/ Pakistan. He said he'd strike specific AQ targets within Pakistan's borders if Pakistan failed to engage them themselves.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He knows that, Evan. He just likes his quick one line hit and run slander. Let's not get into that bickering again about "B hussein" being an "America hater" wanting to "invade Pakistan"

20. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He knows that, Evan. He just likes his quick one line hit and run slander. Let's not get into that bickering again about "B hussein" being an "America hater" wanting to "invade Pakistan"